Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a wodden case for 2 boards

Options
  • 06-01-2006 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so this probably sounds weird or maybe even stupid I'm planning on building a custom PC with two motherboards. I'm going to make the case from wood! I'm going to make a prototype from MDF then if it works out I'll use some nice solid timber. So basically what I'm planning on doing is using the pc for two things.

1: Act as my storage pc storing my music and video files and also for downloading large files from the net.

2: Act as a stereo system and entertainment system.

I don't plan to have anything other than 2 kettle leads (one if I can get away with it) and a s video cable attached to the box, I plan to have two wireless cards installed and have XP Pro installed so I can control the box using remote desktop on my wireless laptop.

So anyone got any suggestions or idea's? I'd love to hear them good or bad.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

A you will need a keyboard for entering the bios and whatnot, I would leave a hole for a ps/2 plug if I were you, just in case remote desktop fails,

But what an idea, that will be great;) , but it will probably fall apart because of the wood expanding and contracting with heat

How about building it into a press or cabinet so that its completely hidden ,and there will be less building:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I will have a door on the back so you can access all the ports if needed, I want it to be a portable piece of furniture rather than built in but thanks for the advice.

It won't fall apart I'm building it a mate who is a qualified Carpenter and Wood turner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wood on the outside is a nice idea, but ensure there is good air conditioning, as otherwise the wood may smoulder, etc, from the heat, over time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You will also need metal mesh or thin foil on the inside to keep the electromagnetic noise down. Big Slow fans for ventilation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hmmm sounds flamable...

• Advertisement

Well I have finished my project. Pic attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Hmmm sounds flamable...

looks like it too.

Flamable?? I don't think so leaving it open with 2 fans on the top means its not getting hot at all.

You'll notice I don't have anything other power and network apapters connected, I use VNC to connect to the pc's and have the bios setup so it doesn't need a keyboard to boot. I also use wake on lan to turn the pc's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

irish1 wrote:
    Well I have finished my project. Pic attached.

Nah I was on messing about the Flamable thing. It looks functional anyway, what about a bit of bling/spicing up?

Well its only a prototype, I'll either remake it using some real wood with some nice grain, I'll most likely stick some slices of real wood to it to give it a grain effect and stick a door on the front of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Nice, brings a new meaning to the phrase "computer desk" :)

Advertisement