Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahogany & Teak - How To Stain To Match

Options
  • 07-01-2006 12:31am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

I have a teak door frame and a mahogany door.

What is the best way to dye/stain these to match them, or can they even match up and that I am better of painting them.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Is this a front door?.Best way to see is just try a coat of clear varnish on both first,maybe do a patch down bottom onthe frame and a patch on the edge of door.But in general I would say in time they will both darken.Id steer clear of any dyes or stains as hardwood is dark by nature.

If you want to go the route of painting them,you will have to prime both with aluminium paint as hardwood is naturally overall oily and this paint stops this,then a couple of coats undercoat and filing/sanding down inbetween this,then a gloss finish.To be honest its a sin to paint such a beautiful wood in my opinion,always better to varnish.

Where I lived one time before I moved,the front door and frame were different woods,I still went down the route of just varnishing them with a varnish called Yaught Varnish,it was a tough,anti ultra-violet varnish which lasted ages,plus they both complimented each other.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

yop wrote:
    Lads,

I have a teak door frame and a mahogany door.

What is the best way to dye/stain these to match them, or can they even match up and that I am better of painting them.

Cheers

Ah Yop, you are indeed sent to test us.:)

In short , you choose the darker tone of the timber you have , and then stain the lighter one to match the darker tone. An extremely hard task . It will take a lot of trial and error , ( and hair pulling ) before you even come close.

The darker the tones you choose, the more likely you are to match them. But you may end up completely obscuring the beauty of the timber, by having extremely dark tones.

Far easier to match lighter timbers, than mahogany and teak. Mad m's option is a route worth looking at, as he say's, do a test patch first.

Kadman:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Okily, so the teak is darker than the Mahogany, so I try to match the mahogany to the teak!!

The varnish idea, will that just not leave the two colors the exact same??

IF IF IF, I go down the stain route, do I just go out and purchase a tin of teak stain and stain the door, then varnish both?

Sorry lads, I know this is a balls of a situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

The only way to colour with any level of detail is to go down the stain route. As suggested you could try to test it on any cut off and or dden place on the timbers in question. However no matter how well you get them to match daylight will always shown them differently as the grain are not the same and will reflect light differently.

In short an experienced French polisher would not attempt this on a front door or any item of furniture in direct sun light.

Sorry to be negative but it could save you the time.

Well if all else fails and you are not happy with the dyes/stains(make sure you get an oil based one and not water based).Why not just paint the frame(white) and just varnish the door.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I could always get a brown paint!!! ;)

yop wrote:
    I could always get a brown paint!!! ;)

Yup, good idea!

Umm, what I have decided to do is get the 2 pieces of waste whihc I have, get a teak stain and see if I can bring up the mahogany to match it... mad???

Advertisement