Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asterix

Options
  • 07-01-2006 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

When i was younger i used to just love reading asterix i suppose it was mainly for the pictures then!Last year I was kinda bored one day and picked up Asterix and the great fight and realised just how genius these books were!the subtle refrences and jokes are just brilliant!Just wondering if anyone thought these books were as good as i did and who was your fave character?

My favorite was unhygenix the fishmonger and geriatrix with his blonde trophy wife!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

panda100 wrote:
    geriatrix with his blonde trophy wife!

I'm with you there.

I also liked the Soothsayer - one of the most manipulative, conniving characters I've ever come across in a comic about inhabitants of Ancient Gaul.

I had a bit of sympathy for Cacophonix, I didn't think being a bad singer warranted having the living tar kicked out of him at the end of every book. I wouldn't fancy my chances if I was a member of Westlife/B*witched/The Carter Twins/Any Pop Idol winner living in that village. Although then again his house was the coolest one in the village.

I always felt a bit of pity too for the commoner gardener Roman legionary, the ones who were just doing their job - the guys who'd be muttering "Join the army they said, see the world they said" - they must have felt fairly hard-done by when they got beaten up for the umpteenth time by Obelix & Co.

One of my favourite characters of all the books though would have to be the little Egyptian that signed up to the same brigade as Asterix in Asterix the Legionary. The poor guy was convinced he had signed up to a package holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Fulliautomatix , solely on the basis of his interesting relationships with the other characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Karoma wrote:
    Fulliautomatix , solely on the basis of his interesting relationships with the other characters.

was he the one who always used to fight with unhygenix?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

As well as others..
    Although, he's quite often seen in the company of Unhygenix and not fighting..

gaf1983 wrote:
    I'm with you there.

I had a bit of sympathy for Cacophonix, I didn't think being a bad singer warranted having the living tar kicked out of him at the end of every book. I wouldn't fancy my chances if I was a member of Westlife/B*witched/The Carter Twins/Any Pop Idol winner living in that village. Although then again his house was the coolest one in the village.
    kage holiday.

ah cacofonix was great!his talent was wasted on vitalstatistix and the likes. My favourite astrix book was asterix and the magic carpet where cacofonix had a leading role!Are the authors of asterix still alive?did they make any more books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Uderzo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goscinny

Goscinny died in 1977, but Uderzo is still tippin' away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

would I be wrong in saying all the comics were translated from original french? If true that makes them that much more impressive since it must be hard to properly translate jokes...

I loved asterix when I was younger and I still dig them out from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

theCzar wrote:
    would I be wrong in saying all the comics were translated from original french? If true that makes them that much more impressive since it must be hard to properly translate jokes...

According to wiki:
    The books have been translated into many languages, even Latin and Ancient Greek.

I never owned any Asterix when I was a kid, I just borrowed them from the local library whenever I wanted to read them. I've been tempted a few times to pick a few up to read but never got around to it. I suppose now, with a kid on the way, I have the perfect excuse to buy all the series. Planning for the future and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dédé

panda100 wrote:
    ah cacofonix was great!his talent was wasted on vitalstatistix and the likes. My favourite astrix book was asterix and the magic carpet where cacofonix had a leading role!Are the authors of asterix still alive?did they make any more books?

Yeah the last one is from Sept 2005 :Le ciel lui tombe sur la tête ( don't know the English title)

déd&#233 wrote:
    Yeah the last one is from Sept 2005 :Le ciel lui tombe sur la tête ( don't know the English title)

But goscinny died in 1977?who did the cartoons-gosh i must get that.thinking back to my leaving cert french that means 'the something they something over the head'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dédé

panda100 wrote:
    But goscinny died in 1977?who did the cartoons-gosh i must get that.thinking back to my leaving cert french that means 'the something they something over the head'

It was made by Uderzo alone but they kept both names. You can get it there:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2864971704/qid=1137083434/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/403-7756856-1852421

But I think it hasn't been translated yet.
    And Le ciel lui tombe sur la tête roughly means The sky's falling onto his head, but I don't know if it will be the title.
    And you have all Astérix albums that were translated in English there:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/403-7756856-1852421

Don't know what was the last one you've read but Le ciel lui tombe sur la tête is the 33rd one.
    By the way, if you like Goscinny's work you should try Lucky Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Advertisement