Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry to stay at Arsenal

• 07-01-2006 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭

This has cheered my weekend. Arsenal revival on the cards methinks :D

Clicky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

He's a mad man. Great news for Arsenal fans though cause without him they would have slipped into premiership obscurity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

i wonder will he really stay tho? Could be a diff story at the end of the season, Arsenal with no Champ league football, and Henry with no champ league football. A player like him would need Champions League Football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The quotes are from The Sun. Arsenal fans beware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

When I see a contract I'll believe it.
    He will wait until the end of the season, asses the situation, and then decide.
    If they aren't in teh CL, he will quit, i'd bet my house on it.
    If they are in the CL, I imagine he will stay. The guy is very loyal to Wenger, and feels that he owes him much.
    It will also depend on the WC, if France win it, he will stay no matter what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

I hope its not true. Would love to see him at Barca, not that he'd defo go there, i'd just love to see it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

According to BBC sport today.

"There was a lot of ridiculous speculation," Henry said. "But the truth is this, I never spoke with or met with a single person from any other club at any time.

"This will put an end to all the stories. We can move on."

His own words so he must be seeing out his contract. Clever boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

PHB wrote:
    When I see a contract I'll believe it.

Thats my thinking exactly with Henry at Henry FC. Until a new contract is officially announced by the club, Henry has not really committed himself to his future at the club.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The quotes are from The Sun. Arsenal fans beware!

Yeah, he'll probably be unveilled at the nou camp in the morning. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Which would opposing fans prefer?

An almost 29 year old Henry, or €40-50M in Wenger's wallet to but the latest and greatest "next Henry"?

I think Henry is probably the best striker in the world at the moment, but I still can't decide which I'd prefer.

If he leaves, Arsenal will get over it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wouldn't get that unless he signs a new contract, it'd be a knock-down price in the region of £15m I'd imagine. There are plenty of transfer funds available at the moment anyway, and Arsenal have plenty of talented players for the future, they need players for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

redspider wrote:
    Thats my thinking exactly with Henry at Henry FC. Until a new contract is officially announced by the club, Henry has not really committed himself to his future at the club.

redspider

I cant really see him leaving now after his statement, it seems to be a statement to cap the "will he, wont he" debate.

I was sure he was leaving and i think he will regret it in the future. An
    few years in spain would be nice to finish off a superb career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I'm not an Arsenal fan but I kinda hope he'll hang about, otherwise Chelsea won't have anything to worry about for the next 10 years. Plus he's a joy to watch, easily the best footballer on the planet (yes, that's right, even better than Ronaldinho).

I doubt he would fetch 40-50 million euro if he was sold next summer.
    Arsenal would be in a bind, because they would absolutely have to sell him that summer to get any cash.
    A lot of clubs will bid for him, without a doubt. I'd imagine even United would make a cheeky bid for him, but I doubt he'd go for more than 30 million, simply because he has only one year.

Now the choice of either

A. Henry at Arsenal for the rest of his career.

OR

B. Henry are Barca with 30 million euro for Arsenal

I'd choose B without a doubt.

First off, it would mean Arsenal woudn't be a huge challenge for at least 2 years, until Cesc and Van Persie and Reyes develop more, and the new signings adjust. Then however I'd be worreid about Arsenal, but thats when I expect Uniteds current crop to be at their best too, so it doesn't worry me hugely.

Secondly, it would ensure Barca dominance, and stop Chelsea winning the CL, which I'd like to see :) Also I like Barca a lot, and I'd love to see Henry play with Ronaldinho.

Thirdly, you couldn't replace Henry for 30 million. Henry has been Wenger's best buy, and even though I think he is great at buying players, a player of Henry/Vieiria's quality being bought and producing isn't exactly guarenteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Henry considered Arsenal future
    Arsenal skipper Thierry Henry has admitted that he considered the possibility of leaving the club.The 28-year-old recently pledged to stay at Highbury and has opened talks with the club over an extension to his current contract which expires in 2007.
    But he says discussions with Arsenal are only at an early stage.
    "Of course I thought about leaving but on reflection I wanted to say where I stood for the fans' sake," Henry told French newspaper L'Equipe.
    "I repeat, there is every possibility that I will sign a new contract but whatever happens the decision will not be based on money."
    The French striker has become an Arsenal star since joining Highbury from Juventus in 1999.

His hat-trick in the 7-0 thrashing of Middlesbrough last weekend saw him equal Cliff Bastin's club record of 150 league goals for the club.
    But the uncertainty over his future has alerted other clubs with Spanish giants Barcelona already confirming their interest.
    "Since the start of the season there has been a lot of speculation about my future," Henry added. "We have started to think about my future but only very briefly.
    "We have got a lot of matches to play so I don't know when we will resume the discussions. In fact we are only at the beginning."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4627590.stm

Whats he up to , after appearing to pledge his future to Arsenal he has again cast doubt over his future plans and appears to be rowing back from his previous statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arsenal skipper Thierry Henry has admitted that he considered the possibility of leaving the club

Note text in bold.....

Him agreeing to hold contract talks before the summer is proof of indication that he will stay for a while yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He'll stay until he has lead them out at the new stadium at least.

jank wrote:
    Note text in bold.....

Him agreeing to hold contract talks before the summer is proof of indication that he will stay for a while yet....
    Henry wrote:
    there is every possibility that I will sign a new contract but whatever happens the decision will not be based on money."

I just find it strange that he need to make any comment about his future as his last one seemed to be pretty definite that he was staying. With his money comment it appears to me that he is giving the gunners a warning regarding strengthening the team. He could still play in the new ground without signing a contract but would Arsenal risk letting him run his contract out if he refuses to sign a new one. I don't think they can afford to let him go for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

When does his current contract run out?

Davei141 wrote:
    When does his current contract run out?

It runs out at the end of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PHB wrote:
    Secondly, it would ensure Barca dominance, and stop Chelsea winning the CL, which I'd like to see

It's okay mate liverpool have done that so far as they could last season and have already beaten them into second place in the group.

I hope Henry stays at Arsenal, it is great to see him playing week in and week out and I love to see him at Anfield, he is a differnet gravy and the premiership is lucky to have him.

• Advertisement

It's okay mate liverpool have done that so far as they could last season and have already beaten them into second place in the group.

Indeed they have, but in the grand scheme of things, if there is a mega mega mega team on the continent, you can be sure they will beat Chelsea, and Ronaldinho and Henry together would make that mega team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's a pity that the Champions League recent winners was not won by quality attacking football but I always fail to admire defensiveness, i'm a fan of attractive, high intensity, skillful football and that is why I adore Barcelona.

As for the whole Henry staying at Arsenal thing...i wouldn't be so sure just yet. The catalans seems to really want to bring him over.

Does anyone think that he will stay at Arsenal if they don't make it into the CL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Absolutely no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

jank wrote:

Some quotes...

"There is a lot of sorting out to be done, but I am sure it will be resolved."

"I've got talks with the club and then I'll make my decision, which has always been the case - but I'm staying quite positive. I've never had any big desire to leave"

"I will leave it as late as possible - but I am happy at the moment and that's the main thing. We have got to have a few more meetings to talk about the situation. Maybe it will be before the last game of the season but who knows. There are a few more meetings planned."

"It is a typical type of negotiation situation. There are ups and downs and we have to find somewhere everyone is happy. I am in no hurry because I want to look at the whole picture. We will just have to wait and see what happens in the next two or three weeks."

Know who said 'em?

Sol Campbell.

Don't count your chickens...
    Glenn is trying to put a team together at the moment and when things go well it is a wonderful club," said Campbell. "You could see that when we beat Manchester United on Saturday. The atmosphere and the feeling were both great

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

cheesedude wrote:
    It's a pity that the Champions League recent winners was not won by quality attacking football but I always fail to admire defensiveness, i'm a fan of attractive, high intensity, skillful football and that is why I adore Barcelona.

I'm not sure even having Barcelona in the Champions League final could have guaranteed you a 6 goal thriller like last year. Hardly defensive was it?

J.

No, but I don't want that match to be the pinnacal of football.

Milan in the first half dominated, and it was a joy to watch.
    Liverpool made the amazing come back, but then it went back to defensive football, with Milan being the more offensive of the two, but still defensive enough.

I want to see Barca vs. Real Madrid as the pinnacle of football, not in the current Real team, but in the style of play it would ensue.

Advertisement