Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value for money slates

Options
  • 07-01-2006 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

O.K. I know that I am asking how long is a piece of string but what is the best value for money roofing slate on the market. This question is inspired by this thread. I am in the unhappy situation of having to build a house on a half a budget but I still want to use materials that won't have me spending money unnecessarily on repairs over the coming years. I have seen Tegral trutone? slates used on my mothers house and on a neighbours house and they seem to be holding up pretty well. I know that if I could afford it I would use Blue Bangor natural slates as they would outlast me and my kids and thay are the traditional roofing where I am intending to build.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

A step above the man made would IMO start with D'Angers natural slate, (French) guarantee for Angers Trelaze is 35 years.

Samaca 39 (Spanish) 30 year guarantee, Samaca 59 30 year guarantee, ( a thicker / heavier slate but to do it right costs a lot more because of preparation).

Del Carmen, (Northern Spain) very good quality 75 year guarantee.

Penryhn (Blue Bangor) again who needs a guarantee ? but to satisfy the marketing department I think they give a 100 year guarantee.

Burlington and Westmorland Green :D well I am allowed to dream ;)

Probably in that order price wise too, of course there are the rare Killoran Irish natural slates and a few more but the last time I priced them they were around £15.00 each.

Advertisement