Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Self Install - no DSL Light

• 07-01-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Got my broadband model - Zxyel.
    The DSL light flashes when the router is turned on - but then it stops.
    It is as if DSL is not enabled on the line.

If I go to the BT website and check my number it says ...
    Your Broadband account for phone number 01<number-snipped> is currently active.

This has been going on since before Christmas - and they have already started to take money out of my bank account. But its not working!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Did you ring them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

is your username and password correct?

did you do the diag test from within the modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah, I rang them, they gave me a new username and password. The diag test fails, it says there is no DSL connection.

It is as if DSL is not enabled in the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

You have to ring then, maybe they enabled the wrong line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

What colour is your box blue or black ? I too had similar problems and have just sorted them. I reinstalled drivers for Zyxel modem. I had no green light for ADSL line and USB was flashing. Once reinstalled the USB light stopped flashing and I took out phone lines and green light came back on. If you have one of the older blue modems they are more problematic than then the black ones. Click on LAN Settings at Internet / Connections and Automatic Search. Put in your new user name @iolbb and your password. If this doesnt work try calling tech support on 1890923111. If there is a queue use Queue Buster and they actually do call you back ! Hope this sorts you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Are you using a modem or a Router?

What is the status of the other lights?

Have you filters on every telephone socket that has a device in it, incl Fax, Sky Digital etc?

Turns out they are now saying I only signed up for Broadband and not line rental with them. They said my line is not able for broadband.

The only option they have given me is to pay a 150 euro cancellation fee.
    I am going to a solicitor on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

bubby wrote:
    Turns out they are now saying I only signed up for Broadband and not line rental with them. They said my line is not able for broadband.

The only option they have given me is to pay a 150 euro cancellation fee.
    I am going to a solicitor on Monday.

Dude, this makes no sense....who were you talking too ???

They wouldnt have activated the account if your line wasnt enabled.

Sounds like a mix up to me....

I had the same probs, but they sent me a different modem which sorted it...

I know its a pain in the xxxx, but you gotta sit on the phone and demand to talk to someone who's worked there more than 5 minutes....

Pistol

I have just posted them a letter - giving them 7 days to recify the situation. Then I am going to the small claims court. I don't have time for that.

bubby wrote:
    I have just posted them a letter - giving them 7 days to recify the situation. Then I am going to the small claims court. I don't have time for that.

It took them 29 days to reply ! I asked them to refund the €5 per month for online billing that I had signed up for in August. They said that I hadn't registered yet I have a print out of same. They are so frustrating in customer services so beware.

The above doesn't make sense so ring them to rectify.

• Advertisement

I have rung them twice. They have told me I only signed up for broadband with them. They said my line was still with eircom and that they could not rectify the situation becuase the line is not broadband capable. They also told me that they cannot give me broadband at all and I will have to pay 150 euro cancellation!!!!

I went to eircom.ie and it says my line passes for broadband.

Small claims - I have the form filled out. If they haven't rung - or I don't get a letter from them by Monday week I will proceed. It only costs me 9 euros to do that. I am also going to contact my bank and tell them under no circumstances to honour direct debits from BT. I figure they have already taken 45 euros for the self install, I'm damned if they will take more.

The small claims courts should sort them out. They should have checked the line before saying they could provide the service.

Even the order confirmation email says that my line will be transferred to BT from Eircom. I also have copies of an email sent to tech support asking them to take a modem/router off my order right after I submitted the order. They sent it out anyway and didn't reply for a week (which was too late).

They haven't changed one bit. I used to be with Esat many many moons go for mobile.

WTF, i ordered BT BB back last november 2004 and after my line was BB enabled by eircom (my account was with eircom), i only had a simular problem with them where my username was *****@iolbb.ie rather than what should be @iolbb

If eircom say the line is enabled its enabled, have you tried netsource's checker and digiwebs, (i think they have one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

bubby wrote:
    I have rung them twice. They have told me I only signed up for broadband with them. They said my line was still with eircom and that they could not rectify the situation becuase the line is not broadband capable. They also told me that they cannot give me broadband at all and I will have to pay 150 euro cancellation!!!!

I went to eircom.ie and it says my line passes for broadband.

Small claims - I have the form filled out. If they haven't rung - or I don't get a letter from them by Monday week I will proceed. It only costs me 9 euros to do that. I am also going to contact my bank and tell them under no circumstances to honour direct debits from BT. I figure they have already taken 45 euros for the self install, I'm damned if they will take more.

The small claims courts should sort them out. They should have checked the line before saying they could provide the service.

Even the order confirmation email says that my line will be transferred to BT from Eircom. I also have copies of an email sent to tech support asking them to take a modem/router off my order right after I submitted the order. They sent it out anyway and didn't reply for a week (which was too late).

They haven't changed one bit. I used to be with Esat many many moons go for mobile.

lmao

Drapper wrote:
    lmao

Trying to boost your post count are you?? Off my thread please. Your post is useless.

So, why in Gods name are they telling me now there is a problem with the line and I have to pay cancellation becuase they cannot fix it??

They can't be able to do that. I signed up as an honest customer and now they are screwing me?? Taking @ 250 euros off me for service that never worked becuase they didn't check the line? I don't understant the logic and how they believe they will get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

bubby wrote:
    what does "imao" mean??

So, why in Gods name are they telling me now there is a problem with the line and I have to pay cancellation becuase they cannot fix it??

They can't be able to do that. I signed up as an honest customer and now they are screwing me?? Taking @ 250 euros off me for service that never worked becuase they didn't check the line? I don't understant the logic and how they believe they will get away with it

what do you expect us to do again ?

I didn't ask you to do anything. If you don't have anything valueable to say then get off my thread. Get out!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

cancel your direct debit , if they have taken money out of your account TELL your bank to take it back , you probable like me signed up for line rental and broadband and as they did not provide it they broke the contract , they messed me about from the middle of august until december , they told me that they had ported me from eircom broadband , THEY DID NOT , if things go wrong with bt they really seem to do so big time . i gave them every possable chance to fix my situation and in the end i went back to eircom , i know eircon are not the greatest but at least you know that they have somebody answering the phones most of the time
    check out this
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=303618

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Drapper banned for a week for being a plonker.

Bubby, try not to be so short with people. You're asking for help here, the least you could do is practice some manners.

less of the fighting more of the solving please. ;)

Get on to comreg about BT, im sure your not the first, inform them of your suituation that your service has not been given and that because of a matter BT should of known about first, re: if the line isnt BB capable, which you say is (get a letter from eircom to prove)
    And inform comreg that they are then charging you to cancel a service in which again they gave to you without checking that it should work.

Also make sure you ring up eircom first, play dumb about bt (dont mention them) say you want to check if the line pass's for broadband.
    But usually if on the web it says so, then it does.

Btw, do you have the filter plugged in also??? Just incase.

he won't thank me but email:
    pat.2.mccabeATbtDOTcom, he replaced Angela Keegan.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote:
    Bubby, try not to be so short with people. You're asking for help here, the least you could do is practice some manners.

Ahem, Moriarty, I am not being short with people in the least. I am looking fo advice on this situation and do not appreciate little 16 year olds with too much time on their hands coming into the thread and messing it up.

Manners - your joking. Of course I am going to get pissed off if someone comes in laughing about the situation.

fitzdragon - you know what, I think I read your post before. I was with Esat before and I believed everything in it but foolishly I still went for it. :confused:

"cancel your direct debit , if they have taken money out of your account TELL your bank to take it back"

Would a bank do that. I didn't think they would, becuase I signed authorization.
    It definitely worth I shot anyways. I was going to cancel the direct debit, but I'll
    go in and ask the bank manager to try to get money back.

Sparky-s, I actually sent an email to comreg lastnight about it :)
    It is difficult though. BT say my line isn't suitable for BB, but if I go to the eircom website and check my phone number it says "Test Passed". I don't think eircom would
    provide such a letter. It is definitely a good idea. (thinking about this - hmm ).

My boyfriend actually works as a contracter - does hundreds of these installations.
    He had the filters plugged in correctly becuase I double checked with the documentation sent with the modem.

Zakrze ..THANK YOU!!!

What is it with today .. 3 really useful posts .. with really god advice. Thanks guys - ths has definitely given me something to follow up on. I'll keep you posted.

Zakrze wrote:
    he won't thank me but email:
    pat.2.mccabeATbtDOTcom, he replaced Angela Keegan.

sound!! I found a few email addresses on the BT website

Unfortunately

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<pat.2.mccabeATbtDOTcom>:
    host smtp2.smtp.bt.com [217.32.164.150]: 550 5.1.1 User unknown

Obviously, I replaced the AT and DOT when sending.
    The email has gone to BT complaints dept,comreg, Advertising standrds, European consumer Centre and entemp.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Johhny75

bubby wrote:
    sound!! I found a few email addresses on the BT website

Unfortunately

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<pat.2.mccabeATbtDOTcom>:
    host smtp2.smtp.bt.com [217.32.164.150]: 550 5.1.1 User unknown

Obviously, I replaced the AT and DOT when sending.
    The email has gone to BT complaints dept,comreg, Advertising standrds, European consumer Centre and entemp.ie

Don't think it will make a difference, I had same issue and they blamed Eircom for saying the line was not working, they will just give you some waffle, as for Comreg, seems like they have not got a clue !!

I think your wasting your time!

Johhny75 wrote:
    Don't think it will make a difference, I had same issue and they blamed Eircom for saying the line was not working, they will just give you some waffle, as for Comreg, seems like they have not got a clue !!

I think your wasting your time!

Ah sure, we'll see. I'll leave it to the small claims court to sort out.
    I suppose thats all that can be done really. The advice given above was really useful, and worth a shot.

Did you end up having to pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

bubby after bt took the money from my account i asked my bank to get it back and they did , i cancelled the direct debit with my bank and bt then applied the direct debit about a month after i cancelled it in writing in the bank , as far as i know if you are billed by the wrong ammount , the direct debit can by taken back by your bank , its a safeguard of the direct debit system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Johhny75

bubby wrote:
    Ah sure, we'll see. I'll leave it to the small claims court to sort out.
    I suppose thats all that can be done really. The advice given above was really useful, and worth a shot.

Did you end up having to pay?

Yes you will get your money back in a cheque.

Johnny75 - I don't think so.
    I got a call today from someone in BT Customer Care (escalated to Management) and she told me that I did not follow through with tech support and I MUST do this .. so that they can work out what is going on with the line.

I am confused. My line is with eircom.
    I signed up for BT broadband.

The BT Customer care girl said on Saturday said there is a problem with my line and it is not rectifieable. I asked her if the line could be transferred to BT, would that resolve it, she said no.

The Customer care girl today said they need to do a test on my line.
    If they are only doing a test today, then how could the girl on Saturday say there is a problem with the line??

Anyway - question. Does my line HAVE to be with BT in order to get BT broadband?

Sparky-s wrote:
    WTF, i ordered BT BB back last november 2004 and after my line was BB enabled by eircom (my account was with eircom), i only had a simular problem with them where my username was *****@iolbb.ie rather than what should be @iolbb

If eircom say the line is enabled its enabled, have you tried netsource's checker and digiwebs, (i think they have one)

Sparky - did you leave your phoneline with eircom and get BT broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 the gobbler

bubby, i had similar prob with no dsl light when i was with BT, if eircom say it is enabled,then it is enabled, BT usually send out another modem,after cables and all have been checked,so i dunno if it was done, BT tech and cc are really bad, do u know if BT checked with Eircom? BT have taken 178euros out of my a/c, so i'm prob gonna have to do what you did, mail comreg/BT etc..think with DD from bank, u should be able to get money back, but unfortunately 4 me, i done credit card, so i cannot cancel or recover..so who knows..well, i'm sure this has convince u to leave BT,another satisfied customer..eh?

• Advertisement

bubby, i had similar prob with no dsl light when i was with BT, if eircom say it is enabled,then it is enabled, BT usually send out another modem,after cables and all have been checked,so i dunno if it was done, BT tech and cc are really bad, do u know if BT checked with Eircom? BT have taken 178euros out of my a/c, so i'm prob gonna have to do what you did, mail comreg/BT etc..think with DD from bank, u should be able to get money back, but unfortunately 4 me, i done credit card, so i cannot cancel or recover..so who knows..well, i'm sure this has convince u to leave BT,another satisfied customer..eh?

Did they send you out a new modem?
    You don't have broadband up and running?? Did you follow through with support? I do want BT broadband, and I am willing to follow through with the tests they need to do (today it was - plugging everything out of the telephone socket in the wall for 15 minutes and then trying again). I have cancelled my direct debit though - and I told the girl who rang from BT today that I won't take any nonsense off them - if they can sort out the issue they are having with providing the service, then I am more than happy to pay.
    However, if they start nonesense about 150 euro cancellation fees for a service they ain't provided, then its small claims court (that is the very least) .. as there are solicitors in my family - so legal fees ain't an issue.
    They won't be getting any more money off me until that DSL light comes on. I have no problems with setting up the direct debit when the service works.

BTW - You should be able to cancel this on your credit card? What bank are you with for CC? Get on to your bank and tell them you do not authorize this anymore. Close your credit card account. Get a new card .. this time don't put any direct debits on it.

Advertisement