Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Self Install - no DSL Light

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 the gobbler

i should have thought about cancelling the card,but it was too late,,,i suppose i'll have to do it now,,i called them and they said i could not cancel any transactions on the card,as i need a letter from the company,,it's BOI,but it's to do with VISA i think. i'll know the next time not 2 put Direct Debits on it.
    We have BB now, what happened was BT send out a replacement modem,which did'nt fix the prob, i called tech and they said call an electrician.That was that. Only solution from them. So i cancelled BT the next day,and got eircom back in,and ok since. Got a BT bill in the post last week for 178euros. Still charging me even though i am with eircom.This saga has gone on since 20th of september when they cut us off for no reason,even they don't know why BT cancelled out BB in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They are supposed to be checking my line at the moment. The support tech said he would call me back yesterday. He didn't. I put in a queue buster earlier, nobody called back. I am now hanging on the line, and there is no option for queue buster.

[edit] About 5 minutes after posting this, the tech called back (a day late - but better than never). Apparently, Eircom have confirmed that my line from the exchange to the house is fine.
    He asked me to check again tonight. I asked him if Eircom had enabled broadband and he said yes.
    I asked "When?". He said - Christmas.

It makes no sense to test if it works again, if no changes have been made since. But I will. I am also going to test with another modem I have to see.

I asked to be put on to Customer Care and the guy I spoke with was a LOT more polite that the wagons I spoke to on Saturday and Tuesday. This guy was polite and very nice to deal with. I explained the situation - if it is a fault with wiring in the house - to check section 3.6 of their terms of service. It says about "pre-qualification of orders". If BT cannot provide the service that the contract is void. He went off and had a look and when he came back said that if it does not work with the different modem that I will not be charged cancellation. I got his name. If I do have to terminate the contract - and I am charged cancellation - it will come in handy on the small claims application form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

this thread has made my mind up on whether to go for Eircom or BT.

Damn Bubby...u got it goin' on!!! Pulling out that 3.6 section bit...jaysus i wish i had been more quick on the draw with the aul' T's and C's!!!

Keep on the good fight!!!!!

They were trying to say that the wiring in the house was at fault .. "Its not our problem - so you still pay a cancellation fee".

Their terms of service state that BT must do pre-qualification that they can provide the service, before committing to your order. If BT cannot provide a quality service, then the contact between the two parties is void.

Spoke briefly with my solicitor about it - and he confirmed. They cannot legally charge me for cancellation of the service, and they must refund for the modem if they cannot provide the service.

Anyway - waiting on another modem to test. If that doesn't work, I'll ask for the 45 euros refund (I cancelled the DD as soon as the problem emerged - didn't want them helping themselves to my money for free!). Absolutely no problem with payment when it works though ..

• Advertisement

thats good to know...so i should be entitled to my 178euro they stole from my credit card and my deposit of 125 euros..which they skipped right by...so prob 303euro they owe me...still got no response from my mail...i will have 2 call again..

fitzdragon wrote:
    cancel your direct debit , if they have taken money out of your account TELL your bank to take it back , you probable like me signed up for line rental and broadband and as they did not provide it they broke the contract , they messed me about from the middle of august until december , they told me that they had ported me from eircom broadband , THEY DID NOT , if things go wrong with bt they really seem to do so big time . i gave them every possable chance to fix my situation and in the end i went back to eircom , i know eircon are not the greatest but at least you know that they have somebody answering the phones most of the time
    check out this
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=303618

This advice turned out to be the winner in my situation. Subsequent to my last posting on this thread I went through steps with tech support in BT. I contacted Eircom on the side and even had an engineer out to my house and he confirmed that there is nothing wrong with my line. BT did a line check but they did not ask Eircom to activate the line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I asked them several times if they had enabled the line - they said "yes". Idiots!

The account was cancelled with agreement from BT that no cancellation charge would apply due to them being unable to provide the service (in accordance with their terms and conditions .. read them carefully).
    If I was able to ring eircom and find out that the line was not enabled, then BT should have been able to do the same. They obviously didn't.

After the cancellation of BT I canelled the direct debit with the bank. The bank cancelled my Eircom DD instead by accident!! BT then managed to take more money out of my bank account. On ringing them, they agreed it was an error and said a check would be sent out. It wasn't.

In the end, Bank of Ireland, even though they made an error by cancelling the wrong DD, they had it sorted within a couple of weeks. They got all monies back from BT.

STAY AWAY FROM BT ..

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

bubby wrote:
    This advice turned out to be the winner in my situation. Subsequent to my last posting on this thread I went through steps with tech support in BT. I contacted Eircom on the side and even had an engineer out to my house and he confirmed that there is nothing wrong with my line. BT did a line check but they did not ask Eircom to activate the line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I asked them several times if they had enabled the line - they said "yes". Idiots!

The account was cancelled with agreement from BT that no cancellation charge would apply due to them being unable to provide the service (in accordance with their terms and conditions .. read them carefully).
    If I was able to ring eircom and find out that the line was not enabled, then BT should have been able to do the same. They obviously didn't.

After the cancellation of BT I canelled the direct debit with the bank. The bank cancelled my Eircom DD instead by accident!! BT then managed to take more money out of my bank account. On ringing them, they agreed it was an error and said a check would be sent out. It wasn't.

In the end, Bank of Ireland, even though they made an error by cancelling the wrong DD, they had it sorted within a couple of weeks. They got all monies back from BT.

STAY AWAY FROM BT ..

I

'Stay way from BT' - I'm beginning to wish I took the same advice. When are Comreg and BT gonna pull their finger out and say enough is enough. BT are stealing from customers, plain and simple. It's no different from me putting my hand into someone's pocket and taking a fifty. Only for the fact that their DSL servce itself is good I'd have cancelled my contract long ago and if they wanted to sue me for breach of contract then let them....

</rant>

yep,,,,thieves,,,,,after calling BT yet again..they agreed to a refund....2 weeks later..nothing..got another bill from BT..2 months broadband...called up again.gave them an earful...so they owe me a further 50 euros..sent a complaint mail early jan.nothing yet..i dunno...amazing in this day and age there is no comeback..and even more amazing that people still sign up to them after reading all these posts...my faith in people is diminishing!!

It was only today that I was wondering - where did they get the 120 euro figure from? I only signed up for broadband at the end of Dec, and by 15 January they had taken 120?? I never got one bill either. Theft alright.

They are a very shoddy company.

If anyone who works for BT is reading this - explain why your company has such a crap billing system and continues to steal from those who no longer have accounts with you .. all becuase your too lazy to take money from those who really should be paying!!

There are people on this forum complaining they have not been billed in a year.

There are people here complaining you won't stop stealing from them.

Get it right!!

[edit]
    Silly me, I forgot, they don't give a hoot about their customers, if they did then would have sorted this out a long time ago. Terrible way to treat people, and they wonder why people are so frustrated with them, and their carry on. Rather pay Eircom and get the service!

• Advertisement
Advertisement