Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol fill Question

Options
  • 07-01-2006 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

When filling your car with fuel when it gets to the top ithe pump normally begins to cuts off, at this point is no more fuel able to go into the car or is it just not able to go in at that pressure? Reason I ask is I normally fill the car to the top and then round off to the nearest euro, eg if it starts to cut at about €34.65 I will keep topping it up until it's at €35, am I wasting the fuel as it's stopping going in but still clocking up or is the fuel going in it's just slower as it's approaching the max?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    When filling your car with fuel when it gets to the top ithe pump normally begins to cuts off, at this point is no more fuel able to go into the car or is it just not able to go in at that pressure? Reason I ask is I normally fill the car to the top and then round off to the nearest euro, eg if it starts to cut at about €34.65 I will keep topping it up until it's at €35, am I wasting the fuel as it's stopping going in but still clocking up or is the fuel going in it's just slower as it's approaching the max?

Yes the fuel is still going in. Some filling station pumps (eg Tesco) do not permit you to top up slowly - the pump will just stop after two or three seconds of trickling. I think it's to save time and allow more motorists in. I like to go from the 'red' to top of the neck usually getting an extra fiver in. Car manufacturers usually recommend that you finish off after the first 'click'.

Advertisement