Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-discipline inter-club shoot for Charity

Options
  • 05-01-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Mark, a proposal , Match to be shoot over 60 Rnds, 30 .177, and 30 fullbore pistol. IPSA will provide both full bore pistols and ammunition and range, Wilkinstown to provide airpistols, pellets and targets. .177 at standard 10 mt distance , full bore to be shot on a agreed target, bulls eye type would be fine with us at 25 mts, on a date to be agreed. What do you think !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sounds downright interesting les (so long as it's bullseye targets anyway :D ). We'd have to hold it a few months from now though - everyone in WTSC is training and gearing up for the Bisley Airgun Championships in eight weeks time, and we'll be dead on our feet for a good fortnight after that one. But after that, it'd make for an interesting setup allright. I'll have a word with the lads about it. Even as a general principle (an aggregate match shot by the same shooters across several different disciplines), it's got a lot of potential...

Actually, now that I've had a few minutes to think about it, there's potential there for a large inter-club, cross-discipline match. 30 shots Air Pistol, 20 shots Air Rifle, 20 shots Smallbore prone, 30 shots Fullbore Pistol, 30 clays, and so on - you could get a reasonable course of fire for a beginner from each discipline and make it into a bank holiday weekend aggregate sort of thing. Saturday in WTSC, Sunday in Newry, Monday in Courtlough and a dinner and presentation of silly prizes Monday night somewheres. Definitely worth a thinking-through. Just need to get past Bisley first! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Certainly, that would be a very interesting proposal, for a kick off we could shoot the Air Pistol , Air Rifle, Full Bore Pistol. Easy enough to organise, two sites only, Friday Evening ,Saturday, with a COF 30 AP, 20 AR , 30 FBP.

Friday evening wouldn't really be that easy to sort out though les; people getting off work, going out and so on. Saturday/Sunday might work better. Spoke to one of the lads about it on the phone a few minutes ago and he thought it sounded like a good idea as well.

It should be alot of fun, now what are the odds for a IPSA win!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I dunno les, all we need to do is to do this a few times:
    AP1a.jpg

;):D:D:D

The problem is the "few times",but perhaps a small wager to liven up the match ! and if by chance the IPSA did manage to win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

les45 wrote:
    The problem is the "few times"
    Ain't that the truth...
    :D
    ,but perhaps a small wager to liven up the match !
    Oooo-er missus :D
    What had you in mind?
    and if by chance the IPSA did manage to win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why do I suspect that even now there's a serious training effort swinging into action on your end? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Sparks wrote:
    Why do I suspect that even now there's a serious training effort swinging into action on your end? :D

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Sounds good to me, hows about calling it the Aussie Rules of shooting Sports :D

Then again IPSA might be able to poach a few converts perhaps even Sparks:) :):):)

Les VERY VERY NICE piece of Kit, hows it working out with the CR Speed Holster, really puts my 14 plus 1 to shame dosent it.

Sparks or Les

Just been thinking should I root out my old leather jocks from my biker days or will my 5.11 Tactical Thong be ok on the day:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Please. you will be giving the kids nightmares with images like that

No need to wear the Thong Gun Shy, we will leave the leather gear to the ISSF boys and girls. Format 50 Rnds full bore, shot in 5 strings with a time stipulation to be agreed, we will use a b27 centre on a plain white A3 card, all rounds outside the 9 to score 5 points. shot at 10 mt ,15 mt, 25mt.
    Air Rifle 20 rnds format to be agreed, Air Pistol 30 Rnds shot at 10 Mt. I think this is a fair proposal , and we would propse a wager of say €250.00 per team ,winner to donate to a charity of their choice. Full bore pistol shot on Saturday , air events on Sunday, with teams of 10 best 6 to score.

sPARKS

Perhaps you could rename the thread as I think more might be interested considering the apparent slant its after going along.

Leave it up to you but perhaps something which may generate interest in the shoot off

Looking forward to a few fun days out

Won't rename it GS, there's a few people wondering how much more hassle is involved in air pistols, but I'll split it instead 'cos you're right...

Guys, so far we have interest from Wilkinstown Target Shooting Club and the Northern Ireland Target Sports Club, the format proposed is not written in stone, the weekend should be alot of fun and a chance to meet other shooters. If you or your club is interested then PM me to discuss.

There's also some interest from Courtlough, les, so we may actually get all three forms of shooting (rifle, pistol, shotgun) in the match!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

HI all,
    Count me in, maybe I will get a chance to shoot my Feinwerkbeau .177 pistol somewhere yet. Bought it s/h 2 years ago to shoot postal league and have only shot it in fun so far.
    Tell me, where is Wilkinstown ???? ok ok I know I,m stupid but I'm from the norf, I can find Dub and Tullamore so I,m not too bad.
    :D

byeeeeeeeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Wilkinstown is 5 miles north of Navan, Co. Meath

I'll put up a map and some landmark photos on a webpage later seamus. We've time yet - everyone in WTSC is currently tied up with the team going to Bisley in Febuary, so it'll be after that that we do this (well, it'll be warmer then anyway, right?). Probably over a bank holiday weekend if one presents itself in a timely fashion. Any suggestions as to possible dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

Cheers,
    I can find Navan ok, perhaps you could let me know details of when they shoot etc, not much point having the fwb and not using it.
    Was in Gibraltar last week and got a visit to the rifle club there, air & .22lr, proper shooting as they say, and would like to try a bit here before I decide whether to apply to join.Done a wee bit in Campbell collage a while back and enjoyed it, mind you I thought it hard work being restrained with the jacket etc, hard on the arms and joints.

• Advertisement

The range is open every evening seamus, just call out to Wilkinstown, drop into Tiernan's pub (it's at the crossroads, after the railway crossing as you drive north from Navan) and ask for Geoff. He'll look after you. And you may bump into a few of us training up there as well, depending on the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭skellig

I think a Charity Shoot is a great idea ie good PR and more importantly providing funds for deserving charities.

I brought this subject up with the lads at Midland Ranges yesterday.
    It was explained that in the past ten years the Midlands have actually held numerous Charity events and in the past few years they have raised approx 10,000 to 15,000 euro a year for various charities :all very good causes.
    Recently one of the affiliated clubs the Cill Dara Clay and Rifle Club held a Charity Shoot for Crumlin Hospital.
    I think its great to see other clubs showing an interest in using our sport to benifit those most in need. Well done and Congratulations to all involved!

THe M.N.S.C.I Ranges are available for charity events.
    The Irish Wheelchair Association also avail of these ranges during the Summer Months on Week days.

I think it would be a great idea for N.R.A.I , S.S.A.I and other shooting associations to work together and run a huge Charity Shoot over a long Weekend on the M.N.S.C.I Ranges.
    These Ranges would be an ideal venue for such an event as they have a sheltered firing line that can cater for 51 shooters comfortably , a Gallery Range for pistol and gallery rifle in both smallbore and fullbore , another Long range with a new Butt system that can cater for 48 shooters and also a clay pigeon layout.
    They also have an Authorisation for several club rifles (.22 only) , experienced Range Officers and most importantly 10 years experience in running Charity Shoots (5 or 6 approx per year!!)

Imagine all in one day the shooters from around the country can gather on the M .N.S.C.i Ranges and compete in a big charity Shoot in all different types of Shooting Sports at the one time ie one hundred and eighty two competing at the one time ; an event to aspire to I think!!!! Why not it would be for charity ,a great meeting of all type of shooters. This would make a great annual event.

The M.N.S.C.I are up for it,those of you interested in this should contact your club or association etc and contact the M.N.S.C.I (call on range no. 0506 54643 or fax no 0506 54618)
    I have and I would support such an event all the way!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭boudica

As someone who shoots clays and rifle the MNSCI GROUNDS are more than suitable for any chairty shoot.
    They are wheel chair accessable, they have a heated resturant area which has a large wide screne television which has any time i have been there been playing shooting dvd's, it is very cmfortable, to comfortable some say.
    It also has vending machines for minerals, coffe and tea.
    the last time i was present at a chairty shoot there it was for our ladys childrens hosiptial and the shoot raised 1300 euro, hot food and sandwhiches where laid on by the club.
    the MNSCI grounds do this regulary for chairty. They have the experience

SO WHY NOT GIVE THEM A CALL, THEY HAVE ALL YOU NEED.

Thanks to MNSI for the very kind offer of their Range for this competition, the only difficulty would be in relation to visitors using full bore pistols ,unless the pistols were on a club licence. As far as I know MNSI do not have any full bore pistols on their club permit at the moment, again this could be resolved . The situation that applies in Newry is that any visitor can use any club gun or club members gun. This may be a easier alternative . What we need is a agreed competition format, expressions of interest from the various clubs, and a proposed date for the competition.

What about us air shooters???

In fact Psycho, the orginal match concept was a straightforward comp betwenn the " Practical Pistol Shooters " and the ISSF Pistol, with 50 rnds of full bore pistol shot on a bullseye target, 50 rnds of .177 ,20 rifle and 30 pistol. And perhaps we should stick to this format for year one. It is I hope fair to both teams!

Yeah
    Pistol V Pistol gets my vote

Lets stick to the orignial challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Hilltop have facility for indoor pistol shooting, they are fully approved by the Gardai and have pistols on the club authorisation, ideal venue, friendly prople and excellent hospitality, why not give Pat Cooke at Hilltop a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭skellig

Why not O.P theres lots of room for air rifle / pistol on M.N.S.C.I too.
    They have a shed there that could cater for that (indoor)
    There is room outdoors also I believe but is that popular with Air Rifle?
    What about indoor shooting with Air Pistol , Rimfire Pistol and Centrefire Pistol
    Do you need a specific type of Air Ventilation for this practice. Are Air Pistol and Centrefire Pistol considered the same in the line of lead exposure hazards (sincere Question)

Les 45 -- Gun Shy I feel I have intruded on this thread with the wrong formats for the type of charity Shoot you are suggesting. However I think you have started something that could prove to be a good multi-discipline inter-club shoot for Charity. I hope you go with the bigger picture and be involved in all formats of shooting events for charity.

Whats important here is to make as much as possible, why not aim as high as we can and prove to everyone that we can all work together for something very worthwhile

Come on lets do it!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Wow. Okay, this is growing lots of legs here. So far we have WTSC, Newry, Courtlough, MNSCI, and now Hilltop all offering to take part.

Way I figure it, we've got two options here; either we keep it small and simple (WTSC vs IPSA) or we can change the plan slightly and instead of a single weekend, do a kind of Grand Prix as is done on the continent and in the UK. The idea's simple enough. Pick a few seperate weekends, say one per month, and on each weekend, you shoot at a different range with a different discipline. The aggregate is totalled up over the entire course of the GP and we give out small prizes based on gunscore and on points (win, get ten points, come 2nd, get 9 and so on), and the overall winning team decides on the charity that gets all of the €250s that the teams contribute to the pot.

The downside is that it takes longer; the upside is that we get a few nights out (come to WTSC, shoot the match, and we all go out that night; next weekend, come to Newry, same deal; and so on round all the entering clubs). Obviously, as it's for charity, it's a buy-your-own-dinner idea :D

Also, while I think the idea of the large teams is cool, I think ten might be a bit large; we've 14 shooters going to Bisley from here, but that's the club almost past its limit for serious training. I'm not sure we could get a team of ten together for the duration of the GP, not with other ISSF matches cropping up :( How about smaller teams, with clubs able to enter more than one team?

Advertisement