Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ssangyoung Rodius

Options
  • 07-01-2006 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭

I was driving behind one of these yesterday. It was like driving behind a horse box and all you see is the horse's arse in front of you. Could not believe how ugly a vehicle they were until I saw one in the flesh. It got even worse when around the side and front. It reminded me of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer was left design a car for his bother's car company. :D

I think a five year old could have come up with a better design.

I found one on carzone and could not believe the price, €41k! :eek: :eek:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=250949

Hideous imho.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

bazz26 wrote:
    I was driving behind one of these yesterday. It was like driving behind a horse box and all you see is the horse's arse in front of you.
    LOL, so true. They should have called it the Haemerroidus.

Thankfully there aren't that many of these on the road. I'd say even Austin Allegro drivers laugh their arses off when they see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    I'd say even Austin Allegro drivers laugh their arses off when they see one.

LOL. Yeah the Rodent is awful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Ah true, but it was never meant to be a work of art.
    It was built with space and functionality in mind and that took priority.
    The asthetics had to work around the car , to maximise headroom in the back, space comfort and visibility . (kind of like the Multipla)
    And id say the quirky design appeals to some of those Koreans.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

designed by Ken Greenley, the former head of the automotive design course at the Royal College of Art in London!

his excuse is that it's hard to design a car that seats 9 (it does in some markets) and looks good

he also said that it was deliberately crazy looking to grab peoples attention. and if only a small percentage of those people noticed its size and bought it, it would be a success.

He didn't want another Trajet or Sedona type box.

maybe he's succeeded, we're talking about it, when did a Grand Voyager spark such a debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    designed by Ken Greenley, the former head of the automotive design course at the Royal College of Art in London!

He of Musso fame?

Someone should have told him the solution to blandness is not sheer ugliness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its pretty horrible alright from every angle but no doubt a few here on the boards will probably tell us its one of the most beautiful people carriers on the market.:) I'd say the designers guide dog could have done a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    his excuse is that it's hard to design a car that seats 9 (it does in some markets) and looks good

In fairness most buses are not as ugly as the Rodius and they seat alot more than 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Re: large people carriers, is the VW Caravelle is still on sale, that was a vast people carrier and not bad looking. Even if it was square and based on a van, at least you wouldn't confuse it with a horse's arse.

the point is the Rodius is deliberately ugly, it's a clever idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Please to not compare this chintz palace to the Fiat Multipla. Both are ugly, but I'd have the Multipla in a second.

Apparently the Odious takes 11 people in some markets. I doubt it was ever tested, though. Can you imagine trying to find 11 people willing to get into one.

• Advertisement

is that a 4-4-3 formation or do they prefer 2 up the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

a friend of mine bought one. We all said it was a beautiful car.
    but in reality, we are too blush faced to say it is so ugly. It kinda reminds
    of that Italdesign concept from around I992, it was like a Boeing 747 grafted onto something like a ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

G Luxel wrote:
    a friend of mine bought one. We all said it was a beautiful car.
    but in reality, we are too blush faced to say it is so ugly. It kinda reminds
    of that Italdesign concept from around I992, it was like a Boeing 747 grafted onto something like a ferrari.

That the one with the BMW V12?

if you look at the rear doors, it looks a bit like a saloon car carrying a conseratory on the back

from the guy who brought you the Aston Martin Vantage, suppose everyone has a bad day every so often

http://autonews.whatodo.ru/bestcars/cars/aston_martin/vantage/vntg-02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

More likely he was given a budget.:)

..........or some drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Apparently the Odious takes 11 people in some markets

If they're sold in Turkey and used as a dolmus, I'd say they'd take 25 - I'm not joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

colm_mcm wrote:
    if you look at the rear doors, it looks a bit like a saloon car carrying a conseratory on the back
    There are so many many things wrong with this picture, and it's barely half the car. Why does it have a spoiler, FFS? The wheels look to be 11" in diameter - has the man never heard of proportion? And what THE F*(K are those little square bumps on the comedy wheel arches?

Ken Greenley is a man devoid of talent. It wasn't always so. Didn't he used to be with IAD?
    iad_alien-86.jpg

If BMW brought this out, their "flame grilled" or whatever design philosophy they're preaching might have been applauded.

The new 3 series is a dog's dinner

• Advertisement
Advertisement