Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new central heating timer

• 07-01-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

My current timer is no longer working due to poor design so I'm wondering what my options are? I would like to at least try and install it myself as it doesn't seem that complicated.

Does anyone have any recomendations on timers or should I think about getting a thermostat instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Thanks Lex Luthor but the links don't work (session timeout). The only problem I would have about getting a thermostat is the effort required to install it as the living room is quite far from the garage where my boiler is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

look down left hand side under 'All Products' & click 'Electrical'

then 'Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning'

then

'Heating Controllers'

from there you can go to

'Thermostats' or 'Electronic Heating Controllers'

Thanks, they have quite a few different models even a wireless one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

lamaq wrote:
    Thanks, they have quite a few different models even a wireless one!
    The Danfos FP715 is probably the closest to your existing one, if your system is over 10 years old.
    You will also get a similar timer in Arcon or Gas & Oil which are close to Radionics.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

Should have mentioned it's a gas boiler, only about 5 years old. I quite like the idea of a thermostat but was wondering would they have the ability to turn on at set times of the day regardless of temperature?

Also as all the wiring is in place already is it likely that I could wire all of this up myself?

lamaq wrote:
    Should have mentioned it's a gas boiler, only about 5 years old. I quite like the idea of a thermostat but was wondering would they have the ability to turn on at set times of the day regardless of temperature?

Also as all the wiring is in place already is it likely that I could wire all of this up myself?

Don't have gas experience and don't have experience of combined timers and stats - but, If it's a traditional layout, You just have 3 wires in and 3 wires out. Earths and neutrals linked together. Live in and out - with a loop to the clock. It's all shown in the wiring diag. You might have seperate feeds to the boiler and water pump.
    You can do it :)
    Jim.

From what I can see it's how you describe it. Thanks Jim and Lex_Luthor for the help. I'll post back with results...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Get the Siemens RWB7 Digital timeclock ( available from Good Electrical Wholesalers ) for about €45.
    It has a daily setup or a 7 day setup
    Also has a 1 hour boost and advance feature
    Come with easy instructions too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

lamaq wrote:

The one I have is able to do that..basically, you select the time you want the heating to come on during the day and give that time slot the higher temp setting. Then to switch off, give the off time the lower temp setting which will be lower than the current room temp.

The only grief I have with mine is that I wish it had 3 temp settings and switchable on the half hour mark rather than every hr.

• Advertisement

Get the Siemens RWB7 Digital timeclock ( available from Good Electrical Wholesalers ) for about €45.
    It has a daily setup or a 7 day setup
    Also has a 1 hour boost and advance feature
    Come with easy instructions too
    That's the one I was trying to remember the name of - it's very similar to the Danfos one I mentioned above - and easy to wire.
    As Lex says, if you can work in a temp control, all the better.
    Jim.

Advertisement