Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American food in Ireland

• 07-01-2006 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where you can get American food in Ireland and no I dont mean McDonalds and Burger King, I mean stuff you dont see everywhere, tinned pumpkin, beef jerky, American Dill Pickles(anyone who knows American pickles will agree our pickles are different, tesco did them for a while), Risses Pieces, creole seasoning.

My wife is American she gets fustrated, at missing this kind of stuff maybe we should open amerian food store here.

Any other American members of boards? what do you miss. Wish we had a Taco Bell here.

Racial/Unkind replies will be reported - you'll always get with one.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭irishpal25

well i have seen beef jerky in tescos. ya can get american style microwavable hotdogs too :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

There used to be a cheese shop on Trinity St that stocked loads of American stuff, such a beef jerky and hershy's chocolate. This was on top of all the various cheeses they sold, it was kind of an odd combination really.

Unfortunately they're closed now and there's a restaurant there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michelleb1985

You can get Hershey's chocolate in alot of the Spar shops around the country...they sell reeses pieces, nutrageous bars, cookies and cream hersheys etc.....I know exactly what your talking about with the pickles Im american and Ive never had pickles in Ireland that are anything like the buttery or sweet ones you buy in america, they are more like gherkns here....the closest thing to beef jerky you can get here is pepperami which you can buy in most supermarkets, though it's more like salami or pepperoni than jerky....For the rest, I rarely see or taste food in Ireland that comes close to the American variety, but if I remember anything Ill post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

dbnavan wrote:
    Anyone know where you can get American food in Ireland and no I dont mean McDonalds and Burger King, I mean stuff you dont see everywhere, tinned pumpkin, beef jerky, American Dill Pickles(anyone who knows American pickles will agree our pickles are different, tesco did them for a while), Risses Pieces, creole seasoning.

Can't say I've seen many of those things in Irish stores. Reese's Pieces you should be able to get in most newsagents though; they're becoming more popular over here now!
    dbnavan wrote:
    My wife is American she gets fustrated, at missing this kind of stuff maybe we should open amerian food store here.

That's one hell of an idea. Just make sure you stock plenty of Jif crunchy peanut butter and Reynolds wrap.
    dbnavan wrote:
    Racial/Unkind replies will be reported - you'll always get with one.

It's been a while since I saw anyone get too angry over American food. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

BigArnie wrote:

That's one hell of an idea. Just make sure you stock plenty of Jif crunchy peanut butter and Reynolds wrap.
    Yeah great Idea! You have Chinese, Russian, Polish, etc why not American Cuisine of course you would have to give the nod to Southern Cuisine right? Have a look at my Turkey fry in the Recipes section;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

If you do go ahead with this plan, can you also stock a number of Varieties of Sam Adams, particularly the seasonal brews and the Boston Ale, as well as Jim's Red hot sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

I fell in love with pumpkin pie in America...

Have never once seen it here...:(

Blackjack wrote:
    If you do go ahead with this plan, can you also stock a number of Varieties of Sam Adams, particularly the seasonal brews and the Boston Ale, as well as Jim's Red hot sauce.

Agreed. I'm not a big fan of Americans beers (Bud, Coors, etc are muck) but Sam Adams does some great brews. It's a really good idea for a business. You could run it online rather than getting expensive Dublin premises. Whoever takes the incentive on this one could be on to a real money-spinner - dbnavan, I'm looking at you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

BigArnie wrote:
    Agreed. I'm not a big fan of Americans beers (Bud, Coors, etc are muck) but Sam Adams does some great brews. It's a really good idea for a business. You could run it online rather than getting expensive Dublin premises. Whoever takes the incentive on this one could be on to a real money-spinner - dbnavan, I'm looking at you. :D

Yeah, it's that good it's not even considered a domestic in most places. I was in a Hotel in NY once where they had a happy hour - 2 for one for Domestic beers. When I asked for Sam Adams the guys siad that it only applied to Coors, Bud, rolling rock and a couple of other bottles of pi*s. I did feel like pointing out that Boston at that stage of the day remained a part of the USA, but decided against it, and went for 2 bottles of Sam anyway.

As regards the Website idea, that's not a bad plan either. Might be worth doing a bit of research first to see what products people want. Generally when people are looking for something food or beer wise from websites, they know what they're looking for and rarely buy on impulse, where they may do in a physical shop, trying things for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

http://www.skyco.uk.com/order.asp

Its called Google folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Try the Tesco Merrion Centre they are in the catchment area for all the Embassies and carry a lot of US foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pen0s

i wish i cud get some marshmellow spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

irishpal25 wrote:
    well i have seen beef jerky in tescos.
    what section is it in? which tescos store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Gah, no Luisanne decaff on that list. My wife usually requests half a suitcase from each US vistor to keep us in iced tea. Ahh sure like sweet tay. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

CiaranC wrote:

Its called Google folks.

Thanks Ciaran you just sent my credit card bill through the roof!!!:D

No.. but thanks seriously.

CiaranC wrote:

Its called Google folks.

Have to say, I wouldn't order off them on credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think the point of the thread was to find somewhere to buy this stuff here and not pay sterling and further delivery charges not to mention having to buy in bulk to make it worth the money.

Anyway my wife is also American and misses things,.. like the pickles... Though you can probably get similar stuff in ethnic shops.. there is one on Parnell street that has shelves of pickles, probably find some non sweet ones there.

I know she misses triscuits which to me taste like mini shredded wheat with salt on them :D Also wants some grits (google if you do not know what they are). Oh and Cinnamon life (cereal) though to be honest, while yum i would settle for our own Cinnamon Grahams which i have not seen in years!!!

Hersheys you can get anywhere but American chocolate sucks.. Even stuff we both have like Mars bars!! I brought some over there for the plane journey, had some left and left them out.. when people ate them (not knowing they were mine) they were shocked at how much better they taste. Although i do like peanut butter cups :D

Advertisement