Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@ Coolwings..

Options
  • 07-01-2006 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as you are the Nitro Guru around here.. :D
    What you reckon on this bit of kit ??
    Buy or dont buy ??

main.jpg

The All-in-One On-Board Computer R/C enthusiasts have been waiting for! The Venom Smart Temp includes a Temperature Monitor with peak temp memory, Traditional Radio Fail Safe, Digital Voltmeter and the industry's first Overheat Fail Safe™ with programmable Throttle Limiter. °F/°C.

The Venom Overheat Fail Safe™ is the best way to protect your nitro engine from serious damage that can occur when a nitro engine overheats. Once the overheat temp is set, the VST will constantly monitor engine temperature. In the event the temperature exceeds the set temp, the VST will engage the overheat Fail Safe and limit the percentage of throttle available until the engine temperature drops 5° C (9° F) or more below the set point. After the temp drops below the set point, the Overheat Fail Safe™ Mode will automatically disengage and return the model to its full operating potential.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You know by now that I'm cynical beyond belief.....

Voltmeter: I recharge the nicads before use, so they are full, if not the charger told me so. I do know lots of folks who have a voltmeter on board. They like them, and get more for their new models...always a good testimonial for an item :D I'm not one myself, but I got a spaceage charger that spots battery problems months ahead.

Temp guage: like thethermocouple in my kettle, I suppose it will last a fixed period of time and then fail. :eek: But I always have my thumb with me.... remember the "Rule of Thumb"...if you can't put your thumb on the cylinder head vanes, richen the needle....

Traditional Radio fail safe: good idea, :) the faster the model, the heavier the model, the better it is to have a failsafe. I have been known to put a rubber band on the throttle servo arm, but lets not go into that here.....

I won't buy one with my money....don't need it and won't ever need it.
    But you know; I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time everybody has to have one by law, or the safety police will cart them off to the "dangerous model drivers prison" or something like that. :p

If it was a tenner it's a "must have" ... for twenty still "nice to have", at thirty - forty it's getting dear but "some need it?" and at fifty I think I'd rather get some fuel instead with the cash :cool:

PS. Anyway what is that "throttle limiter thingy" limiting throttle is against my religion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

coolwings wrote:
    Anyway what is that "throttle limiter thingy" limiting throttle is against my religion ;)
    :D
    A Man of my own beliefs.
    OK then I will try and get it for around a tenner or so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

vectra wrote:
    A Man of my own beliefs.
    OK then I will try and get it for around a tenner or so ;)
    Amen to that brothers !!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You know. The only shame about rc models is that the bystanders are so far back that they haven't the slightest idea just how fast our stuff really is.

I still remember the first time ... it was like mine was double the speed I had thought it would be ! Big andrenalin rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Speed is so addictive, I get a real high out my Nitro cars when I open them up and let rip, it's hard to quantify the feeling, but I never get used to it ... what a rush :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

tallus wrote:
    Speed is so addictive, I get a real high out my Nitro cars when I open them up and let rip, it's hard to quantify the feeling, but I never get used to it ... what a rush :-)
    I know what you mean.:)
    But imagine racing indoors on a tight track with electric cars at around 30mph and trying to keep it flat out for as much as you can because the guy behind you is snapping at your heels :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

thats adreanaline if you race it, pride&satisfaction if you win it, frustrating if you lose by just a bit, and tragic if you break it, personally, i like a bit of a combo, rallyin round my savage anywhere and everywhere, but racing my buggy on tight outdoor (makeshift) tracks wit my cousin!

Advertisement