Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laser/ Camera detectors

Options
  • 07-01-2006 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with having one of these in your car?
    are they Legal or Illegal in ROI , or is it a more complicated legal issue?

has anyone got one ? any comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

as far as I know they are illegal to use , not to own.

They can be confiscated if found in a car where it's reasonable to suspect that you are using it to avoid speed detection measures etc..

Buying it and leaving it in the drawer at home is not a crime afaik :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

zod wrote:
    as far as I know they are illegal to use , not to own.

I am not 100% sure but I though with the new laser detectors, it makes no difference whether you have a detector or not because once the laser hits the car and alerts you, it has already registered to the Garda that the car is/isn't speeding so the warning to you is in fact too late....

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

A guy in Galway recently got find for having one on display on his dash. Court case job...

The funny thing is that his van was actually parked up when a Garda noticed it. The Garda waited until the man returned to his van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You can buy one in UK, legal.
    You can bring it to Ireland, legal.
    You can keep it in yer house, legal.
    You cannot use it in your vehicle to avoid traps, illegal.

Go figure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement