Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to start flying

Options
  • 07-01-2006 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hey guys
    I'm looking to start flying and i need some advice on a starter plane and radio gear.
    A few years back I bought a Hi-boy, tiger enine and futaba sport 12 i think it was but never got around to flying it and sold it when built before going away to travel. well i've been back a while now and have been meaning to give it another go
    was looking at this on ebay at this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Model-plane-BOOMERANG-trainer-ARTF-RMX-40-engine-SANWA_W0QQitemZ6027774385QQcategoryZ19164QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    and was wondering was it worth it?
    Is the radio any use/engine?
    I dont want to spend a fortune and then not like it so was looking for something for the right money
    Thanks
    Cathal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Hey.
    I'm not much of a plane man myself but I'll tell ya this much, the guy thats selling it is one of the best sellers i've dealt with on there. I bought my JATO truck from him and I got nothing but help before and after sale. The other guys can help u out with the plane stuff. The radio is ok, good enough for weekend flying anyway

John

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Plane is ok, radio ok (don't know anyone who supports Sanwa in Ireland but there must be someone).
    I wouldn't want an rock-bottom engine in my flying model however.
    The last "budget quality" engine marketed by Ripmax was MDS.

It earened itself a notorious reputation .... eventually they dropped it and seem to have replaced it with their "new label" budget engine in the deal you are looking at....

Compare this :
    Sample of shop information (Phoenix Models = Ripmax dealer) ...." We have used the MDS ... engines extensively ourselves this season and are very pleased with their all round performance and reliability."

with this: (= modller's opinion)
    http://www.flymodels.co.uk/reviews/brutalitycorner/brutal.htm
    scroll down the bottom .....

So this is the MDS replacement, at the same price......

So plane, ok, radio, ok, engine ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

What frequency transmitter do I need for flying?

The legal frequency for model aircraft in Ireland is 35FM Band A

You should have a read of the sticky threads at top of the models forum list:
    "How you learnt to fly - Feel free to add your experiences! "
    "Getting started with RC flying. "
    and
    "General Guide "
    There is a lot of useful info in these threads for someone getting into planes.

BTW As it happens - my first model aircaraft was also a Hiboy 4 !

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Just looking at the spec, My first engine was the MDS .38. I had a few dead sticks with it but other than that I found it ok..
    If I was to start again, I would consider getting a .46 engine for my trainer, reason being when you progress to a low wing plane, you can use the same engine again, a .38 would not be powerfull enough for it.
    The sanwa radio looks ok also, however, check out how many model settings it can store, its a handy feature when your number of models grows.
    Also check out your local club to see if they teach with a buddy lead, it helps to have the same make radio then.
    Comparing the prices with sussex model centre (http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/ ), after including the 45 euro cost for delivery you are not saving any money buying that kit from ebay.
    245 euro after delivery, where as the same kit from sussex (radio 125, engine 35, plane 58.50 and delivery about 20euro) will cost about 238.50. Just call them and ask about delivery charges. Also check out al's hobbies ( http://www.alshobbies.com/ ) sometimes it cheaper..

• Advertisement

I think you had better check your maths and FX rates ...
    Using your figures:

199 Sterling + 10 sterling @ .68 = Euro 307 from ebay
    and
    238 sterling @ .68 = Euro 350 from Sussex .

That is if you get .68 at the bank....

But I still wouldn't want a budget engine in any flying model I own - these models are too expensive for that kind of messing about. Especially with learners who can't land with a dead engine.
    It's not a car, you can't just stop it and walk over to restart the engine, it's coming down, and you have one chance to get it right if you have no power.

BTW I know at least 2 hobby shops in Ireland that are below those prices for similar quality. Being experienced fliers they would however try to talk you up on the engine - if you were prepared to listen...even if that meant buying a 4ch radio, instead of a 6ch to acommodate a tight budget.

coolwings wrote:
    I think you had better check your maths and FX rates ...
    Using your figures:

199 Sterling + 10 sterling @ .68 = Euro 307 from ebay
    and
    238 sterling @ .68 = Euro 350 from Sussex .

That is if you get .68 at the bank....

But I still wouldn't want a budget engine in any flying model I own - these models are too expensive for that kind of messing about. Especially with learners who can't land with a dead engine.
    It's not a car, you can't just stop it and walk over to restart the engine, it's coming down, and you have one chance to get it right if you have no power.

BTW I know at least 2 hobby shops in Ireland that are below those prices for similar quality. Being experienced fliers they would however try to talk you up on the engine - if you were prepared to listen...even if that meant buying a 4ch radio, instead of a 6ch to acommodate a tight budget.

Cool, name the model shops, have they websites?
    I bought my last one in the camera shop place in bray village, heard he's closed now

"Comparing the prices with sussex model centre (http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/ ), after including the 45 euro cost for delivery you are not saving any money buying that kit from ebay.
    245 euro after delivery, where as the same kit from sussex (radio 125, engine 35, plane 58.50 and delivery about 20euro) will cost about 238.50. Just call them and ask about delivery charges."

Sorry my mistake (rush job).....all prices listed above are in sterling (not euro)......so exchange rate doesnt come into it. Also its 45 sterling for postage from ebay site!

syl77 wrote:
    ...Also its 45 sterling for postage from ebay site!
    I'm not surprised...
    cynos wrote:
    I bought my last one in the camera shop place in bray village, heard he's closed now
    That would have been W J Owens. Was there for years. He retired and sold it off a few years ago.
    cynos wrote:
    Cool, name the model shops, have they websites?
    The bigger Irish hobbyshops have websites....(I work at one myself) ...the links are in the general thread. You could talk to the guys at your local club who would be clued in, and you could see what they like to fly as one possible starting point.
    What part of the country are you in?
    Would you be into the "club flying scene" or would you be more into flying in another location?

coolwings wrote:
    I'm not surprised...

That would have been W J Owens. Was there for years. He retired and sold it off a few years ago.

The bigger Irish hobbyshops have websites....(I work at one myself) ...the links are in the general thread. You could talk to the guys at your local club who would be clued in, and you could see what they like to fly as one possible starting point.
    What part of the country are you in?
    Would you be into the "club flying scene" or would you be more into flying in another location?

I'm from Dublin
    I'd be into Club flying and Other locations, I'm from out in Portmarnock so i'd say it shouldnt be too hard to find a location out there or swords area

• Advertisement

Yes, no problem finding a flying site.
    but there are not so many clubs northside of Dublin as southside.

The Phoenix Park is the obvious one for glowfuel.

There are a lot of leccie fliers slope soaring in and round your area though.
    here is a video of soaring using the sea breeze hitting coast and rising ....
    http://plawner.org/video/twinspeedy_slope.wmv
    I fly a lot this way with Twinspeedy, Skyraider, Alphajet and P51 Mustang.

More glowfuel guys farther away at Ardee too.

BTW Your choice of plane could limit the places you can go.... wheels = you have to have a runway = probably club sites only.
    No undercarraige = belly landings on any field, anywhere,but usually a smaller model.
    So think twice and buy once :)

The bigger Irish hobbyshops have websites....(I work at one myself) ...

The Dream job!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

I hope you will be letting me have a fly of your plane when you get it cynos!! :D

Advertisement