Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless BB under Linux

• 07-01-2006 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I recently got BT+ broadband and want to set up a wireless network in my house but I don't seem to be making much progress. I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu Linux but don't have much experience with networking in Linux. I've tried connecting my wireless router (a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router) and setting my ip address to DHCP and activating these settings, but I am still not able to connect to my router.

Anybody know whats going wrong? I'm at a bit of a loss:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

You usually have to directly connect to the router via Ethernet to check settings etc.
    I would recomment this first, the set up WEP security - also ensure the DHCP Server is enabled on the router.
    TBH, I reckon the Wireless Forum would be a better place to ask about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is the wireless card detected OK?
    What info is present via ifconfig ?

Was DHCP previously set up/used or static?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've done it with ubuntu. Start simple first without encryption. If it's the first time useing the router use an ethernet connection first. I used just wep in ubuntu, don't think I got psk working. In the 2 minutes I tried. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I was using a static ip address with my previous router as I was using port forwarding. I've set it to DHCP every time I've tried the wireless router though as I presume that'd be the easiest way to start.

I'm using an ethernet connection to (try to) connect to it now. Don't have a wireless card in my computer at the minute. It's the direct connection that isn't working for me.

@deadl0ck: You're probably right. Hadn't seen that forum. Can a mod please move it

Advertisement