Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Staunton

• 07-01-2006 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Steve Staunton will be new Ireland manager.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Emm ok, is just a random guess or do you have some reason for thinking this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Peter pan will be new ireland manager

I shall offer nothing to support this claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

bizmark wrote:
    Peter pan will be new ireland manager

I shall offer nothing to support this claim

Ive put 1200 euro on him this evening, its a doone deal. Its a disgrace also but at least it was handy money for those of us in the know:D .

finnpark wrote:
    Ive put 1200 euro on him this evening, its a doone deal. Its a disgrace also but at least it was handy money for those of us in the know:D .
    1200 on peter pan is a bit ott :D

So what makes you so sure Staunton will get the job??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would anyone actually be surprised if it was him?

kdjac

• Advertisement

I would be very surprised, he has next to no management experience, Terry Venables has my bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Same way Terry Venables was a done deal?

It changes every day, and people have put similar sums on a number of potentials, so you'd want to have a *very* good source.

This is a major scoop for www.boards.ie - STEVE STAUNTON new Irish Manager!

You have heard here before ANY other newspaper, TV or radio station etc has even got word of it.;)

The deal is done. The FAI have decided that the cheapest idiot they can get has the job. Hes going to get the dole and 45 euro a week from the FAI (Football Association of Idiots).

No really, HE IS THE NEW IRELAND MANAGER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Same way Terry Venables was a done deal?

It changes every day, and people have put similar sums on a number of potentials, so you'd want to have a *very* good source.
    Exactly, same way huge amounts were put on Burley earlier in the season.

How goods your source?

Ok so tell us how you know????

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    I would be very surprised, he has next to no management experience, Terry Venables has my bet.

You can back him at 25/1 on Betfair if you wish I will lay him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Troussier was sacked by Morrocan FA recently. Probably be him, no ?

What odds did you back stan at ?

Whats your source, if i had insider i'd be backing much more than 1200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

zabbo wrote:
    Exactly, same way huge amounts were put on Burley earlier in the season.

How goods your source?

Dont forget Keegan and Alderidge! and Venables! and Brady!

zabbo wrote:
    What odds did you back stan at ?

Whats your source, if i had insider i'd be backing much more than 1200.

I got Stan at 5/2 and 2/1 and less also.

Paddy Power and all the other bookies have suspended betting but you can still get your money on at Betfair at 1/5. You can also lay all of the others.

Well if you are so sure you would have put more money on, so once again, HOW DO YOU KNOW????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Lads, you should probably take no notice of Finnpark. He's, well, a bit of a space cadet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

irish1 wrote:
    Well if you are so sure you would have put more money on, so once again, HOW DO YOU KNOW????

do you frequently carry more than 1200 Euros on you ?

if so, can i have some ?

Well if I had a sure bet I would find more than €1200;)

do you frequently carry more than 1200 Euros on you ?

if so, can i have some ?
    Ever hear of online betting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

zabbo wrote:
    Ever hear of online betting?

yeah, im not a gambler though and it was more of a joke, i should have added the appropriate smiley and for not doing so i apologise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

yeah, im not a gambler though and it was more of a joke, i should have added the appropriate smiley and for not doing so i apologise

yes, yes you should have, but its too late now isnt it?? you had to go and ruin the thread with the most exclusive story of any forum on the internet, maybe next time you will check twice before hitting that submit reply button, because of you there are people leaving this thread thinking that steve staunton wont be the next manager of ireland, shame on you!

oh here it is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

If I had the insider info, of which there would be plenty of going around given the crowd we are dealing with giving the appointment, I would also definitely find more than €1200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There was £130k staked on him on Betfair yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Flurry of money on El Tel if you believe the papers today.

If idiots are prepared to blow that sort of money who'd want to have Delaney or Staunton themselves tipping you off

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-1975673,00.html
    The FAI is keen for Steve Staunton to act as deputy in the new management set-up, with an announcement expected in the next few weeks. Paul Rowan reports
    STEVE STAUNTON is emerging as the pivotal figure in the FAI’s hunt for a new manager. Senior sources within the association say that they are confident of making an appointment within the next few weeks, but that the appointment of a deputy is crucial to the negotiations.

The chief executive, John Delaney, is understood to be very keen on Staunton getting that job, though on the betting markets the price has been shortening dramatically on Ireland’s most capped player becoming the new manager outright.

Staunton, currently a player/assistant coach at Walsall, has refused to comment throughout the months that the management issue has dragged on. His teammate at Walsall and fellow former Ireland international, Mark Kinsella, said on Friday that Staunton had not spoken to him about the Ireland job, though Staunton does have the blessing of his manager at the west midlands club, Paul Merson, should he decide to take on a new role.

Staunton is regarded as close to Delaney, since they were involved in negotiations over payments for Ireland players and particularly since the upheaval in Saipan in 2002, when he was appointed captain of the team after the departure of Roy Keane.

“We believe this should be a three-way process,” one senior FAI source said. “There’s no way the association would attempt to impose a deputy on somebody, but at the same time we want to have a say. This may present some difficulties for some of the candidates but it is something we feel quite strongly about and there may have to be a little bit of mixing and matching.”

Delaney, whose involvement over the past couple of weeks in the process has been restricted by a domestic accident that left one of his children in hospital for a period, is believed to have spoken over the past few days with the Frenchman Philippe Troussier, who resigned at the end of December from the job as coach of Morocco.

Troussier guided Japan to the last 16 of World Cup 2002 and had the support of Delaney when Brian Kerr was given the job instead in 2003, but his record in international management since then has not been impressive.

Senior sources in the FAI say that the new manager should be appointed within a matter of weeks. “It’s unlikely that there’ll be an announcement next week, but you might not have to wait for too long after that,” said one well-placed source.

The impetus would appear to have been provided by the fact that the FAI has decided not to pursue its interest in its favoured candidate, Martin O’Neill. The former Celtic manager has taken a break from football to care for his wife, Geraldine, who is being treated for cancer, and has given no indication that he is ready to return to the game. The management issue has also become more pressing with the draw for Euro 2008 scheduled for the end of this month and a friendly against Sweden taking place on March 1, though the FAI has stressed that it doesn’t regard either event as an absolute deadline for making an appointment.

While FAI sources were still indicating that Staunton would be preferred in the deputy’s role, betting on some markets has hardened on him becoming manager outright. Betfair was quoting Staunton at shortened odds of 11-10 yesterday, with the second-placed candidate, Terry Venables, at 8-1.

Venables, 63 last Friday, is reported to be annoyed that nobody from the FAI has contacted him. Should Delaney contact him at this late stage he can expect a very cool reception.
    I put a small bit on Troussier at 25/1 when he was tipped by someone on Soccer Central. He's now 40's. You simply can't refuse that and imo he should be favourite for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hmmm...I dunno, I'm not mad about any of the candidates tbh. My preference would have been George Burley, and I think we could have got him if we moved fast, he was always going to be snapped up pretty quick after he left Hearts.

I just have this feeling someone's going to emerge really late in the day...a shock appointment and a major coo by the FAI...don't get me wrong, I know they've messed up a lot to date, but I just have a feeling we're going to pull off something good here, in fairness we're well over due one!! Who that could be I can't even speculate..I'd like to say O'Neill or O'Leary...but you never know.

Very possibly wishfull thninking however :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ah speculation city......well I'm not going to bet cause tomorrow Johnny Randomer will emerge as the FAI's favourite and Steve will be forgotten (thankfully/hopefully)

Although knowing the "great" minds in the FAI they prob will appoint someone as inexperienced as Steve to manage the national side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

eirebhoy wrote:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-1975673,00.html

I put a small bit on Troussier at 25/1 when he was tipped by someone on Soccer Central. He's now 40's. You simply can't refuse that and imo he should be favourite for the job.

ditto...i put my money on troussier...altho my odds weren't so good.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i think staunton would be a dissastrous appointment.
    from the names in the thread nothing is that attractive, former hearts manager would've been good though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Des Cahill said this morning it's likely to be a Staunton / Bobby Robson partnership... with Robson as mentor.... apparently the FAI have told Robson to hold off on talks with anyone else.

Sounds a joke tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looks like there may be some truth in this http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0109/ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

If Staunton gets the job, thats it I am not going near or watching another Irish game. Its a f**king joke how bad the FAI are f**king everything up. Any news on the stadium being started yet? like there is loads of managers out there available for the job and would love it and what do we get? Staunton and an old English manager. Has Staunton even got his badges? I hope not because as far as I know if he hasn't he cant manage the team. Wasn't it Gray or something that took over at Leeds and hadn't them and the PL gave special dispensation to Leeds for 6 months to get before he would be removed

Looks like there may be some truth in this http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0109/ireland.html
    Another good source that believes he'll be assistant. People are wasting their money on Staunton to be manager.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Another good source that believes he'll be assistant. People are wasting their money on Staunton to be manager.
    Will all bets be void then if there's no next manager per se, but an actual management team?

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote:
    Will all bets be void then if there's no next manager per se, but an actual management team?
    i don't think that's possible. Someone will be manager and I don't see the likes of Robson, Venables or Troussier willing to take the role of assistant so it looks like Stan will be assistant. Troussier 100/1 with Bet Direct.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Big Nelly wrote:
    If Staunton gets the job, thats it I am not going near or watching another Irish game. Its a f**king joke how bad the FAI are f**king everything up. Any news on the stadium being started yet? like there is loads of managers out there available for the job and would love it and what do we get? Staunton and an old English manager. Has Staunton even got his badges? I hope not because as far as I know if he hasn't he cant manage the team. Wasn't it Gray or something that took over at Leeds and hadn't them and the PL gave special dispensation to Leeds for 6 months to get before he would be removed

I'd be very happy with Robson and Staunton as assistant. Robson has been a fairly successful manager whereever he's gone. He's a huge amount of experience. I think a 4 year contract with Staunton taking over after that is a good idea.
    We didn't do too badly the last time we'd a Geordie manager.

colster wrote:
    I'd be very happy with Robson and Staunton as assistant. Robson has been a fairly successful manager whereever he's gone. He's a huge amount of experience. I think a 4 year contract with Staunton taking over after that is a good idea.
    We didn't do too badly the last time we'd a Geordie manager.

If you want cast off English manager sure why don't we hire Hoddle or Keegan or Turnip head Taylor while we are at it. If you dont see hiring old England manager as a problem then maybe its just me. I don't mind a foreign manager and I think that is what we need to look for with someone in a role to carry on in future. But not a old English manager. You have no national pride?

Also if you want someone to carry on at least let them have some sort of experience of being a manager/a coach in football. Next we will have Staunton as manager with Quinn as assistant and Packie running the FAI:rolleyes:

Big Nelly wrote:
    Has Staunton even got his badges?

With such accreditation, Stan can build a great team!!!

with enough sticky-back plasic and washing up bottles....

whiskeyman wrote:
    With such accreditation, Stan can build a great team!!!

with enough sticky-back plasic and washing up bottles....

And here is one I made earlier..........

Classic

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    If you want cast off English manager sure why don't we hire Hoddle or Keegan or Turnip head Taylor while we are at it. If you dont see hiring old England manager as a problem then maybe its just me. I don't mind a foreign manager and I think that is what we need to look for with someone in a role to carry on in future. But not a old English manager. You have no national pride?

I tend to look at the level of experience that a candidate has and not necessarily their nationality. Robson has a vast amount of experience. He's managed some of the biggest clubs on the continent and been quite successful.

National pride!! You say you want a foreign manager and still accuse me of having no national pride. Or is this just more anti English bull?

colster wrote:
    I tend to look at the level of experience that a candidate has and not necessarily their nationality. Robson has a vast amount of experience. He's managed some of the biggest clubs on the continent and been quite successful.

National pride!! You say you want a foreign manager and still accuse me of having no national pride. Or is this just more anti English bull?

No I just don't see why everytime we need a manager we head to England. Why not move further a field? there is 100's of manager out ther with loads fo experience. Every manager that is been named from England is an old england manager who has either been shown as not up to the task or too old(Robson is well over 80 by now). FFS you want a pensioner to manage the Irish team? I have no problem with Robson and I still think he should be manager of Newcastle but I dont want him as an Ireland manager. Simple as that. Not because he is english but because he is not the right choice to bring the Irish team forward and neither is Staunton.

As usual people on here try to start a load of english crap! I dont want an english manager so I am anti-english? I lived in England. I work over there on a regular basis and hopefully will be working there more often in the next few months. I love england and the people. I just think the FAI should get it into there head there is managers from other countries

Oh yeah national pride because our main rival if it has escaped you is the English because we are so close. Same as Monghan is for Cavan and Meath is for Dublin. Can you see a Meath manager taking over Dublin or visa versa? is that anti Meath or anti-Dublin? no it is because the people in those countys wouldnt have it. Same as I feel about an old England manager been the Republic one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

whiskeyman wrote:
    No.

In the unlikely event of joint managers being appointed I'm sure the bookies would settle bets the same way as a dead heat - i.e. bets on both joint managers would be settled as wins, but at half the odds. Bets on everyone else would be lost.

But if there is the dream team of Stan and Old Bob, then I'd guess it wouldnt be as joint managers, more likely to be Stan assisting Robson (who picks the team), or possibly Robson advising Stan (who picks the team).

Certainly the Staunton rumours are very strong, and I know there are a helluva lot of people in Dublin city who've put money on Stan over the last few days. I cant imagine how he could possibly be appointed as manager though assistant seems very likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I wouldn't have someone like Staunton who has no experience as our national manager/assistant or even as a waterboy.Of all the names thrown up so far only Troussier has any appeal.

Big Nelly wrote:
    No I just don't see why everytime we need a manager we head to England. Why not move further a field? there is 100's of manager out ther with loads fo experience. Every manager that is been named from England is an old england manager who has either been shown as not up to the task or too old(Robson is well over 80 by now). FFS you want a pensioner to manage the Irish team? I have no problem with Robson and I still think he should be manager of Newcastle but I dont want him as an Ireland manager. Simple as that. Not because he is english but because he is not the right choice to bring the Irish team forward and neither is Staunton.

Age shouldn't come into it. Robson is 72-73.
    Of all the viable alternatives mentioned he's better than most. We can't get Hiddink, O'Neill, Ferguson or any other top manager.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    As usual people on here try to start a load of english crap! I dont want an english manager so I am anti-english? I lived in England. I work over there on a regular basis and hopefully will be working there more often in the next few months. I love england and the people. I just think the FAI should get it into there head there is managers from other countries

Oh yeah national pride because our main rival if it has escaped you is the English because we are so close. Same as Monghan is for Cavan and Meath is for Dublin. Can you see a Meath manager taking over Dublin or visa versa? is that anti Meath or anti-Dublin? no it is because the people in those countys wouldnt have it. Same as I feel about an old England manager been the Republic one

How is it not Anti English? The reason you don't want him is because he is English. How is that not Anti English?
    The best way of expressing national pride is to have an Irish manager yet you say you want a foreign manager. Contradictory????

colster wrote:
    How is it not Anti English? The reason you don't want him is because he is English. How is that not Anti English?

The best way of expressing national pride is to have an Irish manager yet you say you want a foreign manager. Contradictory????

Ahh the PR brigade are out as usual. Why dont you read what I typed. I couldn't be bothered reply to that cr*p.

At the moment we don't have a manager from Ireland except O'Neill who is out of game at the moment. So we will have to bring in a foreign manager. As mentioned on here Troussier is the best suited. Also why cant we get Hiddink? he is only manager of Oz till after the WC probably. We are in no rush to get a manager. Why make the wrong decision now.

The Beeb is running the story now:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4595544.stm
    BBC wrote:
    Staunton 'to land Republic post'
    Mentions that Merson would let him go without any hassle...

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ahh the PR brigade are out as usual. Why dont you read what I typed. I couldn't be bothered reply to that cr*p.

At the moment we don't have a manager from Ireland except O'Neill who is out of game at the moment. So we will have to bring in a foreign manager. As mentioned on here Troussier is the best suited. Also why cant we get Hiddink? he is only manager of Oz till after the WC probably. We are in no rush to get a manager. Why make the wrong decision now.

Troussier has been fired from every job that he has had. He hasn't got a good reputation. He falls out with every one. His tactics leave something to be desired. He once played 3-6-1 against Turkey. People always mention the job he did with Japan but AFAIK both Japanese fans and players were happy to see the back of him.

As for Hiddink, he'd be my choice but I can't see us getting him. How could the FAI pay compensation to Australia and possibly PSV if we want him full time. His wages would be huge and he's possibly wating for a big club to come calling.
    We have to appoint a manager now. We can't wait until after the world cup.

colster wrote:
    We have to appoint a manager now. We can't wait until after the world cup.

Why? we have one stupid game against Sweden and then nothing till after WC. Why do we need a manager who is not up to the job and miss out on another major competition and then when WC is half way around the World we qualify so most supporters cant make it over.

Take time and make the right decision. Its taking the FAI long enough to get there arses in gear to get a proper stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Big Nelly wrote:
    Why? we have one stupid game against Sweden and then nothing till after WC. Why do we need a manager who is not up to the job and miss out on another major competition and then when WC is half way around the World we qualify so most supporters cant make it over.

Take time and make the right decision. Its taking the FAI long enough to get there arses in gear to get a proper stadium

That's a good point...there are always managerial casualties after a world cup. Why not wait till then and see who's available

• Advertisement
Advertisement