Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Staunton

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Big Nelly wrote:
    Why? we have one stupid game against Sweden and then nothing till after WC. Why do we need a manager who is not up to the job and miss out on another major competition and then when WC is half way around the World we qualify so most supporters cant make it over.

Take time and make the right decision. Its taking the FAI long enough to get there arses in gear to get a proper stadium

Firstly no one knows whether they are up to the job.

EC Qualifiers will start pretty soon after the WC. Anyway who'll be available that isn't available now. Hiddink, Feguson, O'Neill???
    Who??
    Would any Irish fan accept waiting till August or September before a new manager is appointed?
    People are getting frustrated that it's taken as long as it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

colster wrote:
    Firstly no one knows whether they are up to the job.

EC Qualifiers will start pretty soon after the WC. Anyway who'll be available that isn't available now. Hiddink, Feguson, O'Neill???
    Who??
    Would any Irish fan accept waiting till August or September before a new manager is appointed?
    People are getting frustrated that it's taken as long as it has.

There will be plenty of manager who will be sacked at the end of the season or move on. Even English ones which you seem to be un-able to see past. Im not talking about International managers as a must but maybe a good manager from PL, Spain, Italy, Scotland. You never know who is going to fall out with a club. Just putting someone into the job for the sake of it is the usual cr*p that we can expect from the FAI and Im not sure why you are backing this up.

If you ask the majority of the "real" Ireland supporters and not the paper most of them will tell you they will wait until the day before the qualifiers as long as we get the right man for the job. You seem to be saying that we should just give the job to anyone as long as there is a manager in place of the team. This is the worst atitude to have. I have watched too many brutal Irish games at the end of the Kerr reign to watch another "manager" take over the job to continue on where he left off.

Big Nelly wrote:
    There will be plenty of manager who will be sacked at the end of the season or move on. Even English ones which you seem to be un-able to see past. Im not talking about International managers as a must but maybe a good manager from PL, Spain, Italy, Scotland. You never know who is going to fall out with a club. Just putting someone into the job for the sake of it is the usual cr*p that we can expect from the FAI and Im not sure why you are backing this up.

If you ask the majority of the "real" Ireland supporters and not the paper most of them will tell you they will wait until the day before the qualifiers as long as we get the right man for the job. You seem to be saying that we should just give the job to anyone as long as there is a manager in place of the team. This is the worst atitude to have. I have watched too many brutal Irish games at the end of the Kerr reign to watch another "manager" take over the job to continue on where he left off.

Firstly I've already said Hiddink is my first choice. We can't get him.

The FAI can't just wait around on the off chance that someone of a high calibre, who knows the English+Irish game, knows the Irish players, and who'll work for small wages will become avaiblable over the next 7-8 months.

The FAI need to raise money for Landsodowne redevelopment. How are they going to attract that money if they still haven't appointed a manager?

Finally, who do you think the FAI can realistically afford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

finnpark wrote:
    This is a major scoop for www.boards.ie - STEVE STAUNTON new Irish Manager!

You have heard here before ANY other newspaper, TV or radio station etc has even got word of it.;)

The deal is done. The FAI have decided that the cheapest idiot they can get has the job. Hes going to get the dole and 45 euro a week from the FAI (Football Association of Idiots).

No really, HE IS THE NEW IRELAND MANAGER!

Some newspapers are trying to claim that they broke the story.

We all know the truth.

Well done to all those who backed him, not over the line yet but not far away.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Do you think he'll be the out and out manager?

fade2black wrote:
    Do you think he'll be the out and out manager?

Yes.

Whoever else is involved will only be in an advisory role. STAN is the MAN.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Not a big fan of these advisory roles, why can't they just pick a damn manager and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well if he is appointed the FAI have really out done themselves, I mean FFS he's only assistant manager at Walsall under Paul Merson!!!. The FAI obviously don't have the dosh to hire a good experienced manager.

I reckon he will be assistant manager, I bloody hope so anyway, I'll go mad if he is appointed.

irish1 wrote:
    Well if he is appointed the FAI have really out done themselves, I mean FFS he's only assistant manager at Walsall under Paul Merson!!!. The FAI obviously don't have the dosh to hire a good experienced manager.

I reckon he will be assistant manager, I bloody hope so anyway, I'll go mad if he is appointed.

Starting to get worried now. I'd accept Robson as manager with Staunton as assistant/coach who eventually takes over after EC/WC but not Staunton as manager and Robson as advisor. Thats just bizarre.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:

I sure hope he will be out and out manager, not because he is good though.

Well you can see why the fai went for him:

(1) Very Cheap
    (2) Media wont critiscise them for appointing him as he is well liked by journalists.
    (3) Easy to blame him when things go belly up
    (4) wont talk bad about them.

Also Im sure he has leaned so much from Paul Merson (I hear Merson has got some great habits to learn:D :D:D:D . Although some of the Irish players already have these habits:D ).

Emm point (2) goes out the window if he gets appointed, the media will jump on him after our first defeat.

Hold on surely the FAI aren't that stupid??? Actually... hold on I know John Delaney, yep its possible:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

finnpark wrote:
    I sure hope he will be out and out manager, not because he is good though.

no you hope hes the out and out manager because you have 1200 euros riding on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

no you hope hes the out and out manager because you have 1200 euros riding on it :)

I would too if i had 1200 euro on him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

colster wrote:
    Troussier has been fired from every job that he has had. He hasn't got a good reputation. He falls out with every one
    He falls out with everyone but he has a decent cv.

ASEC Abidjan (89-92) - Won 3 league titles.
    Ivory Coast (1993) - Dunno what happened.
    Nigeria (1997) - Qualified for the WC98 and was sacked.
    Burkina Faso (97-98) - Got them to 4th in the African Nations, previously only made the 1st round twice.
    South Africa (1998) - Appointed to take them for the WC. Lost to France, drew with Denmark and S.Arabia. Sacked.
    Japan (98-02) - in charge of the full team, U21s and youths. Finalists at the 99 World Youth Championships. 5th in 2000 Olympics. Winner of 2000 Asian Championships. 2nd round of the World Cup. Runner up in Confederations cup.
    Qatar (03-04) - Don't know what happened.
    Marseille (04-05) - Took over Marseille after they had 1 win in 7 games. Finished 5th in the league, 2 goals behind Nantes.
    Morocco - Sacked after 1 game.

Thats nothing compared to what was bet on him.

There was 14000 euro on him at 10/11. Paddypower also got burned badly.

I still don't think the media will say anything against the appointment of Staunton, he generally is well respected despite no mananerial experience.

It will be quite an astonishing appointment. I would have though Pat Dolan would have more of a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have to laugh read the firs few posts about people ehre flm,aing the OP about his guess on steve staunton.

Well turns out today that Steve Staunton is finalising his contract talks with the FAI and Bobby Robson has been brought on board as a senior advisor to Staunton.

So it is a certianty that yes steve staunton is the new ireland manager. My source is from sky sports news who are pretty much always correct with their information.

As for Steve Staunton being manager, o dear god we are in for a long haul, bobby rob is the one clearly going to be doing the work, steve staunton, what has he done in management, nothing, he is a lacking eprsonality, quite boring bore.

but then again thats the problem, the irish management job is ear marked as a no go by all top and even average managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I have to laugh read the firs few posts about people ehre flm,aing the OP about his guess on steve staunton.

Thats because he made a seemingly random statement without any links or evidence to back it up. Had he said a bit more then people would have given it a bit of time.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Thats because he made a seemingly random statement without any links or evidence to back it up. Had he said a bit more then people would have given it a bit of time.

I will know for next time.

I still find it hard to beleive myself.

Now who is taking over at Real Madrid:confused: ? (George Bush maybe:D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

finnpark wrote:
    I will know for next time.

I still find it hard to beleive myself.

Now who is taking over at Real Madrid:confused: ? (George Bush maybe:D )

i would have given better options on that than steve staunton getting the rep of ireland job.

fai dimwits.. another 2 - 4 years of crap, wasting talent, by the time they get their act together duff and keane will be gone, along with a whole load of other players who could have won us things under the right manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

MrJoeSoap wrote:

As I said on another thread recently there are plent of sources for info that can not be linked to, this thread is a fine example , Fair play to the OP for sharing his info here despite the flack he took from those that cannot accept posts at face value .

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    As I said on another thread recently there are plent of sources for info that can not be linked to, this thread is a fine example , Fair play to the OP for sharing his info here despite the flack he took from those that cannot accept posts at face value .

Cheers "THE MUPPET" but I don't mind, it is the most humerous thread on the forum I would say.

I wanted to share the info so that others could benefit on it, imagine on Saturday night how many people could you get to take bets on Stan down your local. And I would say most would give ya 100/1.

There is a good article on www.elevenaside.com in relation to the big gamble.

My credit card will be maxed out for a month though waiting on official result. The result will be announced with weeks as publicly stated by the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i'd prefer to be managerless now and wait till after the WC to get a manager. I don't want either of them going near the managers job. Brian Kerr would probably do a better job than Stan and not saying a lot :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

The FAI are the biggest crowd of stupid heads i can think of. I hope I'm wrong, but this is the worst appointment possible. I knew the sacking of Kerr was rash. The FAI should stop listening to the media and start to think about the consequences of their actions, like sacking a manager with no obvious replacement. I don't think Brian Kerr was a great manager but i would've given him a go at getting us to the euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

finnpark wrote:
    I wanted to share the info so that others could benefit on it, imagine on Saturday night how many people could you get to take bets on Stan down your local. And I would say most would give ya 100/1.

he was 1-2 on friday afternoon in paddypower.

The FAI are the biggest crowd of stupid heads i can think of. I hope I'm wrong, but this is the worst appointment possible. I knew the sacking of Kerr was rash. The FAI should stop listening to the media and start to think about the consequences of their actions, like sacking a manager with no obvious replacement. I don't think Brian Kerr was a great manager but i would've given him a go at getting us to the euros.

Just think of all the salary money they have saved since not renewing Kerrs contract, it'll pay for a few first class seat to Germany for themselves. I dont know why people are so surprised by the FAI's decision. Their incompetence and mis management of our National team is not really anything new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

The FAI are the biggest crowd of stupid heads i can think of

Agreed....It's obvious that the FAI don't give a flying fcuk about Irish International soccer anymore. :mad:
    With all our good players retiring over the last 2 years, the appointment and failure of Kerr, the sham world cup qualification campaign, the debacle over the stadium etc etc, they're clearly weak as kittens and lacking direction.

Giving Staunton the job would be like hiring an apprentice electrican to perform brain surgery!! (No disrespect to either profession) It would be a disaster for all involved, bar Staunton. It would be the only way that he could get exposure for himself, similar to Kerr i.e There is no way he'd have ever been considered for the South African job if he wasn't manager for Ireland..... Oh dear god, please let it not be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The SAFA are not completly behind Kerr as manager , they want him to run their entire setup from youth to full international as a technical director. And they get one of the best in the world. Something sadly that flies over the heads of most irish fans and FAI workers.

How many players from previous winning irish youth international teams played as full internationals? Oh none as 1 we never won anything 2 our previous managers prefered divison 1 as a breeding ground for oirishness.

Heheh Staunton hehehehee oh god no....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

It will be a sad day if staunton gets the job and its looking like he will.What has he done so far, emmm walsall assitant manager for half a season. The FAI are a laughing stock and i hope they are reading this thread. How is steve staunton and a 73 year old man an improvement to brian kerr.

When we are at it, why wsnt pat fenlon or damien richardson not considered if the likes of steve staunton gets the job.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

eirebhoy wrote:
    He falls out with everyone but he has a decent cv.

ASEC Abidjan (89-92) - Won 3 league titles.
    Ivory Coast (1993) - Dunno what happened.
    Nigeria (1997) - Qualified for the WC98 and was sacked.
    Burkina Faso (97-98) - Got them to 4th in the African Nations, previously only made the 1st round twice.
    South Africa (1998) - Appointed to take them for the WC. Lost to France, drew with Denmark and S.Arabia. Sacked.
    Japan (98-02) - in charge of the full team, U21s and youths. Finalists at the 99 World Youth Championships. 5th in 2000 Olympics. Winner of 2000 Asian Championships. 2nd round of the World Cup. Runner up in Confederations cup.
    Qatar (03-04) - Don't know what happened.
    Marseille (04-05) - Took over Marseille after they had 1 win in 7 games. Finished 5th in the league, 2 goals behind Nantes.
    Morocco - Sacked after 1 game.

How can you call that a decent CV? It is a journeymans CV, full of third rate countries. Unfortunately though, it seems that third rate is not too far from where we sit at now tbh.

I will be amazed if Staunton did anything approaching a decent job, the players aren't really there, and coupled with his complete lack of experience doesn't bode well. I hope I am very wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

So Steve Staunton as manager with Sir Bobby as his football tactics..... :| :v:

it could be worse ..........they could have hired Jason McAteer!!!! :O

Its a sad state of affairs that the shrinking violets in the FAI just couldnt take the Media fall out from Irelands World Cup failure that the have to sack Kerr AND HAVE NO CLEAR REPLACEMENT LINED UP, idiots!

The team needed change but if u cant replace Kerr with a better manager, dont sack him until u do, guess they were thinking its a few more first class tickets to the WC for the FAI blazers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If stan is appointed as manager, I'm marching on merrion square...Who's with me!!!

We can't let them get away with this crap again! EVERY Irish manager in history has been ridicuosly underqualified, with little or no meaningful experience (several top flight seasons with good sucsess) and most notably has always been the cheapest option..although this was the case with Kerr, in fairness i supported his appointment at the time, and although imo he was a complete flop, he deserved his shot.

If stan is appointed I would like to see FAI disolved and break up of the old boys gang, with government funding going to a new association!! :p All the lads appointing and voting for eachother onto comitees to hold a monopoly of power they can't lose...about 6 - 10 incompitent fools after nothing but to keep there six figure salary jobs are in charge of our national game!!

If we don't get a good manager this time, we never will...I'm looking for a new country to support and boycot this crap! :*(

(Note how contrasting this post is to my earlier post in this thread...I gave those eejits the benefit of the doubt and backed them to make a great decision!! What a difference a day makes :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

The FAI haven't commented.
    Staunton hasn't commented.
    Robson hasn't commented.

Been reading about this since lunchtime today and not one source - only speculation.

Betting was suspended on other rumoured candidates before. :cool:

Personally I wouldn't be sticking any money on this just yet. There is so much money being made in online gambling that I'd be very very suspicious...

Whoever the manager is I'll still be supporting the team. What will drive me away from the matches are the ticket prices (thanks FAI), ****e facilities (thanks FAI), lack of a national stadium (thanks FAI), crappy pre-match and half-time (thanks FAI).
    Not the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Whoever the manager is I'll still be supporting the team.

Come on Scotland.

shabbyroad wrote:
    There is so much money being made in online gambling that I'd be very very suspicious...

Me too. Surely it is tooo far fetched to believe that Staunton was chosen because his odds were high enought to make a nice few quid for those in the know but this thread and the amount of money staked on him over the past week would have to make you consider such a scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Ireland's worst ever player IMO.

Now he's the manager !

:eek:

:confused:

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

this was Sky news's lead story on News Ireland last night, I think if they FAI make this appointment it just goes too prove they are a pack of muppets as keano said, In all fairness to stan, good player, good servent to his country, probably will make a good manager.....but...he hasnt even managed dundalk under 11's never mind international.

Bobby Robson.......Good manager but he is over 70! Not good long term planning there.

If I was Stan I'd run away.....prove yourself first or you'll be a lamb to the slaughter, if we can drop kerr, after 1 campaign, we have proven nice guy image doesnt make you sucessful.

Pal wrote:
    Ireland's worst ever player IMO.

Now he's the manager !

:eek:

:confused:

:mad:

What age are you, do u remember playing? Probably best left full we ever had, 110% commitment every time.

dbnavan wrote:
    What age are you, do u remember playing? Probably best left full we ever had, 110% commitment every time.

Denis Irwin would also be a contender for best ever but I agree Stan certainly was one of our best ever players.

The Muppet wrote:
    Denis Irwin would also be a contender for best ever but I agree Stan certainly was one of our best ever players.

Argeed except Irwin was mainly right back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

dbnavan wrote:

and I don't agree with you at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd be happy enough to get Robson (+ Staunton) if it works out that way.

I know a lot of people here are holding out for a top continental manager but if Kerrs reign suggested anything to me is that these players don't respond to someone who 'isn't one of their own' and doesn't think about the game the same way they do. I'm not saying a Kerr-like meltdown would definetly happen with a continental guy but I'd fear the same thing might happen if they were drafted in. These players don't need a cultural revolution. They just need someone who can get the best out of them and imho that is someone who has experience in the english leagues.

Someone here asked 'why do we alway look to England for a manager?' Well I'd say it makes perfect sense considering that's where all our players ply their trade. When all our players are spread across europe in SerieA, LaLiga and other places then I'll be all for getting continental managers but not until then.

Anyway with Robson you get the best of all worlds as he has vast experience in England as well as on the continent and internationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick I hope this is a joke. If its true then those muppets in the FAI should be shot !!! Cheap muppets !!!

As for Staunton he was a great player for Ireland and should have a shot of managing us in the future when he has some experience.

As having Robson as his "advisor" is another fudge of a decision. If they decide on Staunton why not just go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dbnavan wrote:
    this was Sky news's lead story on News Ireland last night
    and RTE 6.1 news.

Do I not remember reading an FAI statement after Kerr left saying they would take their time and find TOP CLASS manager!!!! So what happened????

You know what also, I actually feel sorry for Staunton because he was a good player and is liked by most people in Ireland, but I reckon that will change if he becomes manager and we fail to qualify for the European Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dbnavan wrote:

Unfortunately, commitment doesnt make a good player. He was a hoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

On the bright side, Jose Mourinho does often mention that it was Bobby Robson who helped mould him as a manager. Lets hope he has a similar effect on Staunton.

But hey, we're what, fourth seeds now? Harry Houdini couldn't get us out of most potential groups.

Apparnetly he has been offered a four year contract to give him tha chance to get us to two finals. LOkks like we'll just have to get used to the idea.

I'm so mad with the FAI, this is crazy, I'll give him my support (not that it's worth anything) but I have a very very bad feeling things aren't get even worse for our National side. I hope I'm wrong and he gets us to a major competition, I just can't see it though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Its all but confirmed now by the looks of things, 4 years Kerr did not even get that long. Looks like Delaney got what he wanted, Kerr out and a yes man in.

"We are looking for a manager who can bring us success...........It's high profile, it's a good job and it's certainly one that we are confident we can get a top class manager to manage our team going forward." Thats what Delaney said when he got rid of Kerr. I guess Stan the man is down as a "top class manager".

Shock as Staunton gets Republic job with elderly Robson as his mentor

Gerry McDermott

and Paul Melia

THE FAI last night took the biggest gamble in Irish soccer history by appointing the untested and inexperienced Steve Staunton as the new Republic of Ireland manager.

Although Ireland's most capped player with 102 caps, Staunton (36) has just five months' management experience at English third-divison side Walsall FC.

Adding to the shock felt across sport last night was the revelation that he will be assisted by 72-year-old former England manager Bobby Robson.

Although the FAI refused to confirm Staunton's appointment last night, it is understood chief executive John Delaney will formally announce the position has been filled by next Monday.

Robson's willingness to fill the role of special adviser to the senior international team was key to Staunton landing the job.

The pair met recently. The former England manager was enthused by talks and is close to agreeing a deal.

"There is still some negotiating to go yet," a source in Dublin said last night. "The verbal agreements are in place, it's just a case of the final details. Steve and Bobby have met and are very happy with the arrangement."

Staunton succeeds Brian Kerr, whose services were dispensed with in October when the FAI decided not to renew his contract following Ireland's failure to qualify for this summer's World Cup finals in Germany. Staunton, from Dundalk, will get a four-year contract which covers the Euro 2008 and 2010 World Cup campaigns.

But he faces a daunting task. Ireland will be fourth seeds for the Euro 2008 qualifying draw in Switzerland later this month.

The squad has lost the experience of Roy Keane, captain Kenny Cunningham and Stephen Carr, who have all retired from international football.

Staunton's first game in charge will be the March 1 friendly against Sweden at Lansdowne Road.

The former Louth Gaelic football star is also poised to lead the Irish team to Croke Park when Lansdowne Road is closed for redevelopment next year.

Staunton has played in three World Cup finals.

He joined Liverpool from Dundalk FC in 1986, aged 17, and quickly established himself in the first team after a short loan spell at Bradford. His career also included spells at Aston Villa, Crystal Palace and Coventry City before joining Walsall last summer as player-coach.

Staunton's main attributes for the job are his leadership qualities, which he displayed as captain of Ireland during the 2002 World Cup when he was handed the captaincy after Roy Keane's controversial departure.

Numerous top-level candidates were considered for the post, including Roy Keane, Sir Alex Ferguson, Martin O'Neill, George Burley and Terry Venables.

But when they fell by the wayside, the FAI opted for Staunton with the proviso that it could find a senior figure to work alongside the international rookie.

They have now formed what they believe will be a 'dream team', as few Irish players have been as committed as Staunton and few in the football world as experienced as Robson.

The 72-year-old's passion, wit and enthusiasm, have not been dimmed by the passing years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I take it we are now a breeding ground for the Premiership as far as Irish managers go?

• Advertisement
Advertisement