Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Staunton

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://www.fai.ie/article004.html
    From Merrion Sq.
    FAI wrote:
    FAI confirms Stephen Staunton as new Ireland Manager

Sir Bobby Robson to take up International Football Consultant post

The Football Association of Ireland has confirmed the appointment of Stephen Staunton, former captain and record Irish cap holder with 102 appearances for Ireland, as the new Manager of the Senior International Team. Sir Bobby Robson takes up the position as International Football Consultant with Kevin McDonald appointed Coach and Alan Kelly as Goalkeeping Coach.

"I'm delighted and proud to be appointed Irish International Team Manager", said Stephen Staunton. "I know that the calibre of the team I have will bring a huge range of experience and talent to the challenges that lie ahead, I can't wait to get started", he said. "I hope that the drive, passion and commitment that we have can reflect the Irish fans' real love for the game and have an impact not just on the squad but on the nation", Staunton said.

Sir Bobby Robson said "I am really looking forward to working with the new Manager and his team." "Stephen's record and reputation speak for themselves and I am delighted to help and advise Stephen in any way he sees fit", Robson said. "I am totally confident that Irish International Team has a really bright future", Robson added.

Commenting on the appointments, FAI Chief Executive Officer John Delaney said "Stephen has impressed people for many years with his attitude, commitment, dedication and his unrivalled knowledge of the dressing room". "He is highly respected, a natural motivator and I am confident he will make an excellent manager", Delaney added.

"Bobby brings a magnificent wealth of experience to his role as advisor in addition to his renowned passion and enthusiasm for the game. His knowledge, experience and advice will be a valuable asset to Stephen", Delaney said. "The combination of talents, experience, knowledge, motivational skills and passion which this team brings to the management of the senior squad is utterly compelling", he said.

The team also includes Kevin McDonald, reserve team coach at Aston Villa as Coach and former Irish International goalkeeper Alan Kelly as Goalkeeping Coach.

Stephen and the team will hold their first press conference on Monday, January 16th at 11.00am in the Round Room at the Mansion House, Dawson St, Dublin 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

WTF is a International Football Consultant?!?!?!

I support Ireland, Stan and Robson 100% as I would with any management team but I can't help but feel that the FAI have messed up on this one big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

$$$ Excellent News $$$:d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

WTF is a International Football Consultant?!?!?!

I support Ireland, Stan and Robson 100% as I would with any management team but I can't help but feel that the FAI have messed up on this one big time.

i agree, will always support them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Keep an eye on the Late Late tonight lads.... might get Delaney, or even Stan on it.
    It'd say the researchers have been trying like crazy to get them on for tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

FAI rethink on the cards?

FAI.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

whiskeyman wrote:
    Keep an eye on the Late Late tonight lads.... might get Delaney, or even Stan on it.
    It'd say the researchers have been trying like crazy to get them on for tonight.
    Has anyone been on yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I am not too disappointed with this. Despite his lack of expereince its an alright appointment. Would of prefered if robson didnt get the job though, think hes just after the money and really doesnt give a toss. THis could very well be his last job, so i cant see him caring if he does a **** job.

I think stans knowlegde of the lower divisions in the england could be great. Theres alot of young players there who, in a few years could be excellent. Some great players on the verge of getting regular places in premiership sides aswell. Hopefully he will take a look at the EL aswell, although very few would be up to the standard. I thought kerr wouldo f done this aswell, but decided not too.

People say we had no chance of qualfying for 2008, but would we with any manager? Our team is very poor. Our midfield is a joke, kilbane and holland in the middle? i bet ever oppisition team will be breaking it when they see that. One alright striker. Even duff has been poor.

Our defense isnt the sharpest either. Dunne and finann are good. Not sure who would partner dunne, or who would go left back. JOS is useless.

I think by the time the 08 championship comes up we could have an excellent team. But not before that, so probaly wont qualify. Interesting too see if he sticks with the old hands, or gives youth a chance straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Does anyone know where I can buy an England shirt?

Joke, obviously not. But seriously, WTF, the FAI are so "stereotypical" Irish. Unbelievable...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

A manager thats not! an adviser that was an England manager! an assistant an ex Rangers player! Casting for a potiential film, directed by Merrion Square.

I have read and respect you views on this appointment but correct me if I`am wrong , this job was suppose to be a much sought after position with leading managers interested so said J Delaney after Kerr`s departure, we appoint a person with no experience at even club level management. When you sack a manager, that means he was`nt good enough so you look for a better one. The FAI must be having a laugh, they go out and hire a guy they can afford and tie him to a 4 year contract and hope to drain all the knowledge out of an adviser within 2 years. Were tumbling down the rankings and it looks like they have already written off our chance to qualify for the next tournament. I`am a bit lost at the moment but wish STAN all the best because he`s going to need it, the Muppets in Merrion Square are a shambles, a joke and a disgrace, and it will not be your fault if it all goes pear shaped lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I thought Staunton and Robson did quite well at their first press conference yesterday, not without glitches it has to be said. Stan started off poorly reading from a sheet, but when interactive later on was much better. Robson was his usual self, as he is always enthusiastic about the sport. The borders of their roles and responsibilities may not be cast in stone but it doesnt have to be for this pairing to work out.

Steve came out with a good one in fact, when asked by what sounded like an english press hack "What brand of football do you intend to play?", Steve came back quickly and sharply using the likelihood that games will be played in Croker, that the brand will be soccer, not GAA.

He also handled the FAI/IFA question very strongly and as a rebel and a republican patriot that this was about the replublic soccer team, etc.

I am of the same opinion as I was before, that they and the mgmt team should be given a chance. We are on the 4th rung in Europe now so the only way is up really. Its not as if we are going to do a Northern Ireland as the players we have at our disposal are just too good.

Qualification for Europe is more difficult than the world cup, especially starting from a 4th seeding. It will all depend on the draw itself as to whats possible, so lets hope for an easy one. England anyone?

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

Its all but confirmed now by the looks of things, 4 years Kerr did not even get that long. Looks like Delaney got what he wanted, Kerr out and a yes man in.

"We are looking for a manager who can bring us success...........It's high profile, it's a good job and it's certainly one that we are confident we can get a top class manager to manage our team going forward." Thats what Delaney said when he got rid of Kerr. I guess Stan the man is down as a "top class manager".
    please say its all a bad dream and the fai have some cop on

Advertisement