Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Broadband Is Right for me???

• 07-01-2006 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hey,
    Im a total newb to broadband. Im hoping ye could help me on what compant to pick for their price and reliabilty.

Id mostly be using it to download stuff, lots of stuff!

Could someone plz tell me some good companys and what they offer

Regrads
    Jamie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

lynch190 wrote:
    hey,
    Im a total newb to broadband. Im hoping ye could help me on what compant to pick for their price and reliabilty.

Id mostly be using it to download stuff, lots of stuff!

Could someone plz tell me some good companys and what they offer

Regrads
    Jamie

welcome to BOards, read the sticky on the top of the main broadband page.

Answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Drapper wrote:
    welcome to BOards, read the sticky on the top of the main broadband page.

Answered.

Oh look, another smart answer from Drapper!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bubby wrote:
    Oh look, another smart answer from Drapper!!

In fairness this question has been asked and answered in various forms here countless times. Drapper is correct - why start it all off again?

Plus the poster does not say where he or she is - whether there is dsl in the area - whether ntl are in the area etc etc how much he/she is prepared to pay etc etc so how can anyone give advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Johhny75

dub45 wrote:
    In fairness this question has been asked and answered in various forms here countless times. Drapper is correct - why start it all off again?

Plus the poster does not say where he or she is - whether there is dsl in the area - whether ntl are in the area etc etc how much he/she is prepared to pay etc etc so how can anyone give advice?

I'd agree, I'm new to Boards but its spelt out on the sticky to the front......

and a simple seach gives plenty of answers to the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dub45 wrote:

It is a new user though, a a bit of an ignorant way to treat someone new. The reply given was very short, it could have been said a bit more politely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bubby wrote:
    It is a new user though, a a bit of an ignorant way to treat someone new. The reply given was very short, it could have been said a bit more politely.

While most people on boards are very helpful I think lately it has got to the stage where some posters are unwilling to make even the smallest efforts themselves. the typical one being of the type 'is NTL available in my area' when a simple call to NTL would give them exactly the information they are looking for and maybe this is what lead to Drappers original reply. Drappers reply at least pointed the poster to some information - you did not help the poster and only criticised Drapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

well you'd think a simple call to NTL would answer your questions....
    doesnt always work like that...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lynch190

OK, Sorry about that.

Im in Limerick City. Willing to pay up to E50. Looking to download a good bit of stuff. To be honest im not oo sure what 'dsl' is, but after doing some googleing, im fairly sure its in my area. Ntl are in my area too.

I will be grateful for any help.
    Jamie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"DSL" is Broadband over your telephone line.

NTL aren't available in Limerick, Chorus * is in Limerick, who do have BB, but it isn't very good yet.

Your best bet would be:

- Smart Telecom
    - BT Ireland
    - Digiweb Metro

BT should have new products coming by the end of the month, it is worth waiting until then to see what they offer.

* Yes, yes, I know Chorus and NTL are both owned by LGI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lynch190

Thanks for that man. Are BT defo bringing out new deals? Do you know the date?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lynch190 wrote:
    Thanks for that man. Are BT defo bringing out new deals? Do you know the date?

Well I don't work for them, but in the past they have always brought out new deals when Eircom changes the wholesale products. And in the past the new deals always came within a few days of the new pricing being active from Eircom.

So that is all I have to go on, but I'm 99% sure it will happen again.

Advertisement