Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover Letter

• 07-01-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭

I am in final year Engineering in Galway and am about to start sending out my C.V. to various companies in the hopes of getting a job.

The one thing I don't know how to do is write the cover letter as ofter the first impression can make all the difference.

Would anyone be able to give pointers on the best way to approach this?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Well the purpose of the Cover Letter is for them to actually LOOK at your CV
    What I was told before is not to put too much information

Something along the lines of:
    I feel my education/employment history meets the criteria as specified in your advertisement and state one or two things that you have experience in.
    For example you could state that your FYP focused on this particular area and because of it you have lots of knowledge in this field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,454 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try to customise each covering letter properly so it looks less like a mail-shot.

Also, make sure you address each letter to the proper person - ring first to check. A letter to Ms. J Bloggs, HR Manager will probably be received better that one just to the HR Manager.

You should begin 'Dear Ms Bloggs', not 'Dear Sir or Madam'. Sign the letter yourself.

Consider enclosing a stamped addressed envelope? Know it's expensive, but it may be worthwhile...

Might be worth considering getting your CV and 'standard' covering letter looked over by a professional (HR or Recruitment) first.

Just my 2 cents worth. Best of luck anyway!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fmicrochip

I think it should be a summary of your CV enphasising parts which are relevant to the company/role you are applying for.
    It's like when someone is talking to you, you are more interested in what they are saying if it is interesting/relevant to you.

Advertisement