Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out lately?

Options
  • 08-01-2006 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

well any pikers out and about ......

Headin out for a short afternoon session in the boat tomorrow ya never know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

mise, was out at lisgar, 3-4 pound caught on spinner , dead bait-nothing surprisingly, wer u headin,....or is this thread really old?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

Piking in Mulagh, Cavan.

Got 2. 1st was bout 3 punder caught on dead bate, i used a float for first time which i found very useful. 2nd was about a 5 pounder, caught him on an artificial eel i got in states few weeks ago. gave a good strugle took about 5 mins to land!

there was an eastern european fishing beside me caught about 8 id say most were in and around 3-6 pound. he kept them all :( he was using live bait :mad:

wats the deal with using live bait on irish lakes, anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

Acording to cfb.ie its illegal
    "It is illegal to have or to use live fish as bait (Bye-law No.592)."

:rolleyes: i must have a read of the rules myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

vibez wrote:
    Piking in Mulagh, Cavan.

Got 2. 1st was bout 3 punder caught on dead bate, i used a float for first time which i found very useful. 2nd was about a 5 pounder, caught him on an artificial eel i got in states few weeks ago. gave a good strugle took about 5 mins to land!

there was an eastern european fishing beside me caught about 8 id say most were in and around 3-6 pound. he kept them all :( he was using live bait :mad:

wats the deal with using live bait on irish lakes, anyone know?

he should be killed

• Advertisement

Were do you fish yourself? ive only started piking bout year and half ago. and ive been addicted ever since. still only learning mind you!

myself aswell, have fished coarse for years, not good....but thats irrelevant!! started piking last year and love it, caught at the old bog road, em lisgar, there wa another in the virginia area too. u?

Fish in cavan, ramor which isnt the best, thats just beside the lakeside manor in virgina. Mullagh is were ive done most of my catchin, mite be tryin carlow next week

so demanufactured, howd the "session" go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

you sohuold have stopped that eastern european guy from killing those pike..
    its illegal to have over 1.5lbs of pike flesh on you at one time, apparantely...or something like that...
    mullagh is only good for small pike...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

I would of upended that guy for live baiting and keeping his catch in the lake,when you go to some of the eastern european countries it is difficult to catch fish, reason?:there all gone in the pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Thunderchild

The regs for Pike are as follows;

PIKE

It is prohibited to take and kill more than one pike on any one day.(Bye-law No.667)

It is prohibited for any person to have in their possession more than 6.6 lb.(3Kgs) of pike flesh whether in parts or fillets, steaks, cutlets, sides or in any other form whatsoever. (Bye-law No.667) except in the case of a specimen pike, provided that only one specimen pike is taken or killed by any person on any one day and that only one such pike, which shall be whole and ungutted, is in the possession of any one person.

I don't pike fish as a rule, more of a sea angler, but having said that I have noticed a big increase in the number of 'foreign' anglers in my area - Believe it or not they are fishing for food as they send most of their earnings back home to their families and can not afford to eat themselves - This does not mean the guy who took all the pike is right, but he may just be trying to feed himself.

T

i went out there last sunday, fished the barrow at athy
    nothing...
    not even a beep on the buzzers...
    although my friend did get a dace...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Had 3 consecutive days of blanking in Mullingar over the Christmas.

Threw everything bar the kitchen sink into the water - big plastics, spoons, spinners. Deadbaits, wobbled, popped up and legered!
    Not a nibble.

2 lads beside us pulled out a 16lber one day and the ever present eastern European brigade seemed to be having some success further down the bank so it wasn't a case of no fish!

At least I got my new fishing pressies santa bought wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

had a woeful day yesterday lost a bulldawg and a zalt.......AND THE FOOKIN CAR KEYS WENT OVERBOARD IN 70FT OF WATER!!!!!

I was in cavan again on sunday, we fished kilskrye small little lake up that way. I was dead batin, spinin, we even hav a small boat for trowlin, not a site of a pike anywere i lost loads of gear...anyway half way tru d day i went to shop in virgina and d shop had at least 8 eastern europeans all rigged out in fishin clothes.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Now if u read my treads (a few above this 1) ul see that i was in mullagah were these eastern europeans were live baitin...this is 1 thing but the other is every fish d f%$ker caught were trown into the back of his ford mondaeo.

i feel that somthing has to be done about this i have since looked into the rules & regs etc and i know for a fact d low stock of pike in lakes across ireland are been caused by eastern european live baters takin home der catch. right take the odd 1 but these ppl are clearin out the place :mad:

Does anyone know who we can talk to about gettin signs made in their native tongue informing them of the rules of fishin lakes in ireland? and this problem isnt only with pike but salmon are been poached spent and all, along with trout.

something has to be done soon, or il be selling my fishin gear. someone help :(

im also interested in hiring vigilanties!!!!! ;)

Central Fisheries Board...
    www.cfb.ie
    i saw some of those signs up in romanian or polish on the rynn river recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Did you say anything to them? I'd say there's a good chance that they don't know the rules: if you don't tell them, they'll continue.

Of course, calling the boys in blue is also a possibility. These are actual bye-laws, so the gardai would respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

vibez wrote:
    Does anyone know who we can talk to about gettin signs made in their native tongue informing them of the rules of fishin lakes in ireland?

Our club have got plenty of signs made up (Rossmore Coarse Angling Club in Monaghan), we've got agreements from landowners about inforcing catch and release and erected the signs on their land at lakes stating these rules, the signs are multi-language. All this requires alot of work and effort.

What you need to do is contact your local angling clubs, any tackle dealer in cavan will have info on them and what they are trying to do to help, join the club. You can't do much on your own.

You should also get the numbers of the fisheries board for the area you fish in, and if you see illegal activty, report it to them, they DO follow it up but are very poorly staffed. Always have a digital camera with you, taking a snap or two of these guys normally makes them move on, as the vast majority do know they are breaking the laws that are in place, but they know the laws are not enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Thought i'd get this back on topic.

Had my PB pike, 25lb 8oz on Dec 31st, I could tell you from where but then I'd have to kill you :)

Pike_25lb8oz_RHS.JPG

Fished Castle Leslies on Sunday Feb 12th, great days pike fishing, hadn't fished it before, nor fished from a boat before so spent the morning missing fish but eventually in the afternoon got the tactics right, ended up with a 4lb 3oz, a 5lb 2oz, an 11lb 9oz and a 15lb 7oz, also lost a big 20 after a fantastic long fight, it snagged itself on the rear anchor rope, we got a look at it the one time i got it up near the surface. Tis a pitty the days are so short, woulda liked a few more hours on it. Its not cheap to fish on Leslies, but its worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement