Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Restrict network printer to black & white

• 08-01-2006 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I have an epson c62 shared out accross my house. It's directly linked through usb to my main computer which runs Windows XP pro. Is it possible to restrict the output to just black and white from whatever machine in the house decides to print. There is a way disabling colour in printing preferences within control panel however this is a per user setting.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one way
    Check with the manual in case there is a mono printer it will emulate. Install that driver and share it instead of the colour driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Leave an empty colour cartridge in the printer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

@Captain Took a look through the manual and it doesn't seem to mention anything bout it. I'm thinking though that my printer server machine must use a unique account on my system. So maybe if I logged in with that account and changed the settings to disable colour I might get what I want. How do I discover what user it is though.

@atheist. If only it was that simple. When either cartridge is empty the printer stops working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Try

1. create a new printer and use a print driver for the mono ver of the printer .. stop sharing out other one and share the new one out with the same name

2. create a new printer and disable colour.. restrict the security on the printer to network users to print only .. not full control.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

qBot wrote:
    @atheist. If only it was that simple. When either cartridge is empty the printer stops working.
    I have a C62 too and that's my main gripe with it. Same issue with a 440 I had before it.

• Advertisement

Sorry that didn't work out. In Windows try manually selecting and setting the printer up an a HP Laserjet III and use the same port.

@atheist Good idea but no luck.. Set it up as you said but can't get anything to print.

@Zod Thanks for the reply Zod but from what I understand you've just described what Capt'n Midnight said initially.

Is the port lpt1 or usb001?

usb001

For the HP Laserjet, make sure bi-directional support is turned off. You could also test generic, text only

• Advertisement
Advertisement