Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Hard Drive

• 08-01-2006 2:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Lads help needed. The old hard drive is too small so I got a samsung 250gb. I removed the old drive, pulled cable out and power, wired in new drive and installed xp. My intention was when up and running to put my original as slave drive and copy over the important info and then remove it.
    However when it boots up xp wont recognise any of my drivers. It wont recognise my screen, network card, sound card etc. I have tried the usual updatin drivers, I have picked them from the list, but it still wont work. Any help,
    Please

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have you tried the manufacturers web site ?

how about a few hints, like what PC / Cards ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Its a dell dimension, and therefore onboard graphics, sound etc. I have done this several times on non dell machines and have never had any probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If the xp installation on the old hard drive was still good you could try copying the entire hard drive over to the new one with a program like ghost or partitionmagic, you can re-size the drive to take advantage of the bigger size of the new disk.

I hate having to re-install from scratch, it takes me ages to get the system set up the way I want it so I have done this several times and it has worked perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Doesnt xp have a file transfer wizard?Maybe this would work?
    regards,
    kieran

Using the Files and Settings Transfer WizardThe Files and Settings Transfer Wizard helps you move your data files and personal settings from your old computer to your new one, without having to go through much of the same configuration you did with your old computer. For example, you can take your personal display properties, folder and taskbar options, and Internet browser and e-mail settings from your old computer and place them on the new one. The wizard will also move specific files or entire folders, such as My Documents, My Pictures, and Favorites. Passwords are not moved with program settings when you use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. This is a feature of the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that helps to keep your passwords confidential.

We recommend that you install a virus detection program on the new computer before transferring files over from the old computer. This can help protect your new computer from viruses that may be contained in the files transferred over from your old computer.

Open the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Notes

To open the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    For more information, click Related Topics.