Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is cancelling a BT Broadband+ account hassle free?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You can't cancel a credit card "contract", but you can do a chargeback every time they process a fraudulent payment by contacting your card issuer and telling them that the goods and services promised weren't delivered. It's not a simple solution, but every chargeback recorded on the account of the company responsible is a black mark against them. If dozens of people are doing it every month, they risk losing their merchant status.

Actions speak louder than words, especially against recidivist villians* like BT.

adam

* Do me a favour, don't give me that old hat Hanlon's Razor line. When incompetence lasts for this long, it's criminal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ken Shabby wrote:
    You can't cancel a credit card "contract", but you can do a chargeback every time they process a fraudulent payment by contacting your card issuer and telling them that the goods and services promised weren't delivered. It's not a simple solution, but every chargeback recorded on the account of the company responsible is a black mark against them. If dozens of people are doing it every month, they risk losing their merchant status.

Actions speak louder than words, especially against recidivist villians* like BT.

adam

* Do me a favour, don't give me that old hat Hanlon's Razor line. When incompetence lasts for this long, it's criminal.

Is this really a threat? It seems to me the more I read boards and the more people I chat to about direct debits that the process is widely abused by Companies without any fear of sanction? For instance no matter what EsatBT do would Visa/Access/Laser withdraw their facilities from them?

There appears to be no third party that an 'injured' joe soap can appeal to in these matters. And therefore the Companies behave with impunity!:(

When you think about it for a moment - when you sign up for a direct debit you give your bank details and account number to persons unknow - God knows how many people in that Company have access to them - there are no security or guarantess given to the public about this and basically the Companies do what they bloodywell like after that and you can do nothing about wrong deductions without in most cases hours and hours of phone calls and ranting and raving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dub45 wrote:
    When you think about it for a moment - when you sign up for a direct debit you give your bank details and account number to persons unknow - God knows how many people in that Company have access to them - there are no security or guarantess given to the public about this and basically the Companies do what they bloodywell like after that and you can do nothing about wrong deductions without in most cases hours and hours of phone calls and ranting and raving.

That isn't strictly true dub45. You can cancel a direct debit from a current account when you want - with abolutely no bother. There is security AND guarantees.
    The big problem here is that people are using credit cards for a purpose for which they were not designed. That is where the "no security or guarantess given to the public". Credit cards are meant for single payments - in petrol stations, shops etc. Of course the banks will let you use them for direct debits - they want the money. But they are not designed for that purpose.

If these direct debits were set up with a current account BT would not be able to take any more money and the DD would bounce. So don't put those using current account DDs in the same basket as those using credit cards.

bubby wrote:
    That isn't strictly true dub45. You can cancel and direct debit from a current account when you want - with abolutely no bother. There is security AND guarantees. Banks can only allow those companies that you have authorized to collect direct debits from your account. Banks actually have a screen with the authorized companies/people listed. They can add/remove.

The big problem here is that people are using credit cards for a purpose for which they were not designed. That is where the "no security or guarantess given to the public". Credit cards are meant for single payments - in petrol stations, shops etc.

If you use it as a current account - you are mad!! No security whatsoever.
    If these direct debits were set up with a current account BT would not be able to take any more money and the DD would bounce.

You are talking theory here I am talking reality - Companies are abusing direct debits - read the number of posts here about direct debit abuse - people have cancelled them and companies have reinstanted them - companies now appear to be setting up a direct debit over the phone - no signature necessary. Read posts here of people spending hours on the phone trying to get Esat to refund wrongly deducted direct debits - 'six weeks' being quoted as a refund time.

Can you please detail the security and guarantees for me from any documents published by either the banks or the companies? who is that person taking your bank account details over the phone? what documents have they signed - where are all the forms kept with bank details on them - what about all those people gatherin bank account information on the street these days for charity what guarantees are in place for those? It is an appalling system and getting worse by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dub45 wrote:
    Can you please detail the security and guarantees for me from any documents published by either the banks or the companies? who is that person taking your bank account details over the phone? what documents have they signed - where are all the forms kept with bank details on them - what about all those people gatherin bank account information on the street these days for charity what guarantees are in place for those? It is an appalling system and getting worse by the day.

I write a letter to my bank cancelling a direct debit and if this amount is paid out without my authorisation I can go back to the bank and demand that they refund it.

What you are saying "might" be the case if the person had not asked their bank to cancel the direct debit in the first place - those expecting BT to be honest and just not request any more money.

In general - there is always some plonker working in these companies that says "Yes Mr. Soap, we have cancelled your account" and then forgets to tell billing!! There are always companies without proper procedures and workflows in place - i.e. BT.

Now, lets face anyone who entertains someone "gatherin bank account information on the street " is not very wize in the first place. I only allow establised companies to set up direct debits to my accounts.
    It is not something to take lightly.

This was my 1000 post!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

Here's the official info on your rights with DD: http://www.ipso.ie/frames/documents/PayersGuide.pdf. If there's any dispute your bank will get your money back.

If you are paying a on credit card then it is not a DD. If you've signed up for a recurring payment on your credit card, the merchant just has to show that to your card issuer, and you'll have a tough fight to get any money back. Then again, if they get enough complaints about those dodgy recurring agreements, they may eventually take your side. If you have difficulty getting your money back and the merchant actually called it "Direct Debit" (those exact words) on the form that you signed, you have been misled and should contact the Financial Regulator to see if they'll kick some ass.

steve-o wrote:
    Here's the official info on your rights with DD: http://www.ipso.ie/frames/documents/PayersGuide.pdf. If there's any dispute your bank will get your money back.

If you are paying a on credit card then it is not a DD. If you've signed up for a recurring payment on your credit card, the merchant just has to show that to your card issuer, and you'll have a tough fight to get any money back. Then again, if they get enough complaints about those dodgy recurring agreements, they may eventually take your side. If you have difficulty getting your money back and the merchant actually called it "Direct Debit" (those exact words) on the form that you signed, you have been misled and should contact the Financial Regulator to see if they'll kick some ass.

Unfortunately that is only an explanatory leaflet or guide - there is nothing legal in it whatsover it is totally concerned with the things that should happen.

It is far too vague to be of any use - there is no mention of how it is to be established that an unauthorised payment has been made - what does an unauthorised mean - who has the final decision on what an unauthorised payment is? What is the definition of 'good time' for the notification of cancellation of direct debit? What about bank charges incurred incurred as a result of an unauthorised direct debit? say where a customer is put into the red by it etc etc and the bank levy one of their automatic charges?

It does not even make reference to a formal agreed code of practise. there is no guarantee of confidentiality in relation to your bank account details - no provision for any sanction against regular offenders - have you ever seen any of those leaflets available in a bank?

And it is lacking any address or contact for a consumer with a grievance to pursue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Esat's customer service is a joke, to be honest with you i don't think anyone works for them as i never seem to be able to get through to talk to anyone. God only knows what will happen in the next few weeks when i go and change my ISP, i probably get a final bill from Esat a year later :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShayHT

A guy in work is on hold to them right now, he keeps getting charged, they sent a cheque at the end of last year, charged again.....demanding refund immediately.

Oh, he has never even used or had an Esat account!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ShayHT wrote:
    Oh, he has never even used or had an Esat account!

You mean they take money from his account by direct debit every month and supply someone else with a service that the poor fella is paying for....which is what appears to have happened .

Thats Fraud Squad material TBH .

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/gbfi.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement