Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC apologises for Carr's Gypsy joke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yawn. Comic makes joke, people complain. Move along nothing to see here.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Could they not just cut to the chase and apologise for Jimmy Carrs presence on tv in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

It was on the radio actually.

Have to admit I laughed when I read it.
    "The male gypsy moth can smell the female gypsy moth up to seven miles away...

...and that fact also works if you remove the word moth."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

ha that's brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

awwww did the poor gypsies get offended cause someone called them smelly ? :(

I cant stand people who complain about comedy. Its always going to offend someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm no fan of Carr, but FFS, this PC sh*t has got to stop...racial minorities are targets for comedy in bad taste (heck anything is a target for comedy)...either make a jibe about the comedian back or stfu and quit crying to the [whatever] standards agency. Idiots...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats a funny line by Carr..... Comedians always offend someone, thats the nature of their business.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TmB wrote:
    Thats a funny line by Carr..... Comedians always offend someone, thats the nature of their business.
    Thats a funny line for Carr..... Usually they offend me by not being funny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

"There are certain groups of people that everyone thinks they can make jokes about and you have to shrug your shoulders and move on."

So why did she bother complaining then and not just move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

In fairness, you'd expect the Beeb (public broadcaster with licence fee) to apologise for this.... note Carr himself not making an apology or any comment.
    It was on a Saturday evening on a prime-time radio slot... not exaclty late-night channel 4 where the audience know what to expect from Carr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Long may comedy continue to offend people. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Carr had better watch out or that gypsy council will put a curse on him.

Advertisement