Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV Gift Card?

Options
  • 08-01-2006 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hey. So i got a HMV gift card as a present for xmas and its basically just a voucher but you can top the card up. On the back of the card it says that your not able to get a refund/empty the money of the card but i was wondering if its within my rights to demand the money? I know it sounds like a long shot but some advice would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Does the gift card say that it can be exchanged for cash? Otherwise, you have no right to cash.

If you don't want/need it, you should consider selling it or holding on to it and giving it as a gift to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CCOVICH wrote:
    If you don't want/need it, you should consider selling it or holding on to it and giving it as a gift to someone else.

Ahh the gift that keeps on giving (as long as it keeps getting passed down the line)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Hey. So i got a HMV gift card as a present for xmas and its basically just a voucher but you can top the card up. On the back of the card it says that your not able to get a refund/empty the money of the card but i was wondering if its within my rights to demand the money? I know it sounds like a long shot but some advice would be very welcome.

not a chance mate, i probably sold it to whoever got it for u :) sold so many of them over xmas, hmv dont do cash refunds on anything, refunds are put on the gift cards, so u wont get a refund on a giftcard at all, receipt or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ha ha most vouchers have printed somewhere "cannot be exchanged for cash" and this covers change also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

I love when customers come in and "demand" things.... really makes me want to help them out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

I love when customers come in and "demand" things.... really makes me want to help them out!
    i know join the gang

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Exactly :D It's a bloody gift voucher, of course you don't get cash if you demand it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Oh ok then. Damn relatives. Cash is so much easier that vouchers but no luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Again, you have no rights to exchange it for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

el rabitos wrote:
    hmv dont do cash refunds on anything,
    They have to give a refund on faulty goods. If you buy a cd you can bring it back within 21 days and get a cash refund. If you go past the 21 days you can claim it is faulty (tell them it won't work in your PC, many new protected ones will not). I have returned cds over a year old and got a cash refund. So in theory you could buy a cd with the voucher and return it saying it is faulty.

But unfortunately the receipt will say that you paid with vouchers. Just give it as a present to somebody else, sell it or use it. If you name is on it so it cant be a pressie then you can buy a cd, return it immediately (go downstairs and say you rang your mate who got it already) and get new blank vouchers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you buy it with vouchers, you're not entitled to cash ... only vouchers back - even if faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Its a card so they'll probably only put the money back on the card and it doesnt have a name on it. Anyway im selling it so if anybody wants to buy it check out the FS General board.

Advertisement