Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Questions about the industry

• 08-01-2006 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get some advice. After I finish film school, there are a few different areas I could get into in the film industry. One of them that I enjoy is editing. Now I have a good knowledge of Final Cut Pro and lots of experience using it to edit my films, and I will shortly have a mobile edit suite. The question I'd like to ask is this. I know that Avid is pretty much the industry standard for editing, but as I am familiar with and use FCP, is it likely to hinder me when trying to get a job? Would it be expected of me to have Avid by producers/directors, are there certain mainstream things that Avid can do that FCP cannot?

Also, what would be the way to getting a edit job? I assume production companies already have editors they use regularly. I mean is it just, get the chase list, and email the company your CV?

Another area I enjoy and would like to get into is camera/lighting work. I've been told if I purchase a decent camera, maybe a good quality mini-DV or even HD dv, I could work freelance on a contractual basis. But again, are there certain expectations that production companies have in regards to what camera you should have, what accessories you have etc? Or do most companies even have their own cameras and just employ people to use them?

I know I would most likely start out like everyone else, as a runner, assistant etc. (and try to get into the union) but I'm a bit confused about the relationship between what equipment you have and what is expected.

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Elessar wrote:
    I'd like to get some advice. After I finish film school, there are a few different areas I could get into in the film industry. One of them that I enjoy is editing. Now I have a good knowledge of Final Cut Pro and lots of experience using it to edit my films, and I will shortly have a mobile edit suite. The question I'd like to ask is this. I know that Avid is pretty much the industry standard for editing, but as I am familiar with and use FCP, is it likely to hinder me when trying to get a job? Would it be expected of me to have Avid by producers/directors, are there certain mainstream things that Avid can do that FCP cannot?

Also, what would be the way to getting a edit job? I assume production companies already have editors they use regularly. I mean is it just, get the chase list, and email the company your CV?

Another area I enjoy and would like to get into is camera/lighting work. I've been told if I purchase a decent camera, maybe a good quality mini-DV or even HD dv, I could work freelance on a contractual basis. But again, are there certain expectations that production companies have in regards to what camera you should have, what accessories you have etc? Or do most companies even have their own cameras and just employ people to use them?

I know I would most likely start out like everyone else, as a runner, assistant etc. (and try to get into the union) but I'm a bit confused about the relationship between what equipment you have and what is expected.

Advice appreciated.

Okay theres two points. What is you ambition? Do you just want to work on corporate and low end stuff? Or do you fancy high end stuff drama, tv documentary and feature film?

If its the former getting out there with your own kit is fine and acceptable, but if it's the former, it's unlikely that that anyone is going to hire you to cut their tv drama series or feature film, perhaps a short or something, and thats good experience but solid paying gigs are unlikely.

Secondly. Pick and chose a branch and stay with it. Don't dance between editing, and camera, pick one and choose it.

Onto career chooses. Obviously check the chase list, but if you're interested in editing consider getting a job in a post house as a runner. Its not glamorous work, but editing really isn't glamorous work and it will get your foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 j_cal

I'm pretty much in the same position, but I'm only interested in the editing side,

I presume the "Chase list" is a list of production companies out there that may potentially hire..?

Is there a directory/list of these companies somewhere? Or is it a matter of opening the phone book?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Elessar wrote:

unless you've got a decent showreel and experience, not many places would touch you. If you want to get into do doing commercials, tv series etc you really have to cut your teeth in a post house, starting as runner and moving up the ladder... learning from those with many more years experience.
    Elessar wrote:

As Freelancer has already said, choose one. If you were serious about being a camera man, with a good quality mini-dv camera won't get you much work.
    DVCAM or DVC Pro you might get work doing some corporate videos. But serious freelance camera ops would have a digibeta camera, quite possible a beta sp and/or a HD one also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

This might get more traffic on Audio Visual Editing? However, as people have already said, pick one career and go after that. Jumping around won't impress people, because they'll think that you can't make up your own mind.

Have FCP experience will stand for you, lots of places are heading that Direction, but you really need to get some avid experience, especially if you want to work for the big big companies.

Getting work experience in an editing house would be a good idea, just to get an idea of what it's like working for a professional company. Then to get a job as a trainee, or a runner (Crappy, but that's the way in for lots of people) and work from there. I got lucky and got a traineeship, after two years, I'm still learning on a daily basis, and that's on top of a three year degree. Working in a big company might be better when you're starting out, as there'll be lots of people that can help you out, but working in a smaller place will normally mean that you move up quicker :)

John

Advertisement