Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

micmclo, how are your eyes now? Its been about a week right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

I had bilateral LASIK at the Wellington Clinic in late October of last year. I can safely say that every Euro of the operation's cost was money very well spent - the difference it's made is beyond description! Like a good set of teeth, the eyes are one of the first features that people spot, and I like to make the most of that particular feature. :)

My prescription was pretty mild (+0.25/+0.5, slightly long-sighted), but the astigmatism was at a different angle in each eye. Consequently, using VDUs (which I do daily) without glasses led to severe eyestrain and headaches. No more of that, thankfully.

Wellington's evaluation procedure is very comprehensive and everything is explained fully, and any doubts/questions are handled compassionately. As for the operation itself, I was fully conscious (an essential part of the procedure), but dumbed down/sedated on Valium. Between the two eyes, the procedure took about 15 mins, and I had to wear eye shields for that day and at nights for the following week.

Now, 5 months later, I still have mornings when I wake up with bone dry eyes, but a few drops of lubricating fluid sorts that. But to me, it's a very small price to pay for superb eyesight and for not having to go into Specsavers again! (Socially I was very self-conscious about having to wear glasses - a confidence issue, no doubt, but now a moot point - and I'm delighted that such high technology exists to remedy sight defects.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

JohnK wrote:
    micmclo, how are your eyes now? Its been about a week right??

Surgury was done Tuesday 14th.
    Was in pain until Sunday.
    Eyes were streaming when I went outside or looked out a window so had to wear sunglasses.

Sensitivity to light was my main problem. I was trying to watch a very interesting documentary on TG4 on Monday night and couldn't handle watching TV. Turned the brightness down which helped but gave up trying to read the subtitles. Lucky I'm fluent in Irish I suppose

Leaving these problems aside, my eyes did recover each day. They are now great. No pain, no light sensitivity. Not sure if I'm 20:20 but I doubt I'm far off. It's brilliant waking up in the morning and not fumbling for glasses as I did since I was 11.

I was expecting poor night vision and I did see halo's when walking at night in the week after surgury. This has now stopped so I was able to drive home from night class tonight. Maybe the wavefront option helped me in this area.

Do my sight test in Optilase on Saturday but I think the results are fantastic. You just need to get through the first week if you do the LASEK option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

im thinkin of gettin this done cos at the minute i cant even get a drivin liscence at the age of 25

micmclo wrote:
    Surgury was done Tuesday 14th.
    Was in pain until Sunday.
    Eyes were streaming when I went outside or looked out a window so had to wear sunglasses.

Sensitivity to light was my main problem. I was trying to watch a very interesting documentary on TG4 on Monday night and couldn't handle watching TV. Turned the brightness down which helped but gave up trying to read the subtitles. Lucky I'm fluent in Irish I suppose

Leaving these problems aside, my eyes did recover each day. They are now great. No pain, no light sensitivity. Not sure if I'm 20:20 but I doubt I'm far off. It's brilliant waking up in the morning and not fumbling for glasses as I did since I was 11.

I was expecting poor night vision and I did see halo's when walking at night in the week after surgury. This has now stopped so I was able to drive home from night class tonight. Maybe the wavefront option helped me in this area.

Do my sight test in Optilase on Saturday but I think the results are fantastic. You just need to get through the first week if you do the LASEK option.
    Thanks micmclo, its good to hear from someone who is still in the process. Regarding your light sensitivity how is it when you are looking at a computer monitor? I know I’m going to need the week after surgery but since my job has me staring at the monitor for 8+ hours a day I’m wondering if I might need more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Would love to get laser surgery but as I have amblyopia (reduced vision in one eye) the clinics won't touch me

Also I have to say that the prospect of being awake while having my eyes clamped open when they slice open my cornea is not very appealng. If they could do it under general anaesthetic think I would go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

incisor71 wrote:
    My prescription was pretty mild (+0.25/+0.5, slightly long-sighted), but the astigmatism was at a different angle in each eye. Consequently, using VDUs (which I do daily) without glasses led to severe eyestrain and headaches. No more of that, thankfully.

It's interesting that the astigmatism can be corrected, if that's what they did in the proceedure. Your prescription, not taking into account astigmatism, (+0.25/+0.5) is actually very minimal - in fact falls within the range of natural fluctuations throughout the day. Many (decent) opticians wouldn't change a lens prescription if it had only changed by 0.25 diopter as this alone could be down to the environment of the examination room or numerous other factors.

The book "Better Eyesight Without Glasses" By William H. Bates is an essential reading for anyone seeking to improve their vision. Using his methods I improved my vision from 6/60 to 6/12.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

What happens during the actual operation? What happens if you move your eye?

S.

JohnK wrote:
    Thanks micmclo, its good to hear from someone who is still in the process. Regarding your light sensitivity how is it when you are looking at a computer monitor? I know I’m going to need the week after surgery but since my job has me staring at the monitor for 8+ hours a day I’m wondering if I might need more time.

My job is exactly the same.
    I was able to go back to work on the Wednesday which was eight days after the surgury.
    Are you going for the Lasik or Lasek? Lasik has a shorter recovery period but not everyone is suitable.

If its the Lasek then make sure you take a full week off. The optician in Optilase said he'd provide a letter for my HR department if I needed a few more days off.

In my job I was told I'd have to use a weeks holidays while I thought it would be certified sick leave.

If your manager disagrees as mine did be sure to stand up for yourself. I had to argue like mad to save my holidays. It was referred to HR for a decision in the end who agreed it was to be paid sick leave.
    So, if you can avoid using up your holidays make sure you do.

I want the Lasek and was told at the initial consultation that I was suitable for both so I'm happy with that. I hadn't thought of paid sick leave. Might have to try that one :D. Although since I still have about 2&1/2 weeks of last years holidays left I'll probably be told to f**k off in no uncertain terms :p

• Advertisement

el tel wrote:
    It's interesting that the astigmatism can be corrected, if that's what they did in the procedure. Your prescription, not taking into account astigmatism, (+0.25/+0.5) is actually very minimal
    That's true, the astigmatism constituted the largest part of my eye defect - and it was immediately obvious that they had corrected it, as its presence affected vision at all distances.
    el tel wrote:
    The book "Better Eyesight Without Glasses" By William H. Bates is an essential reading for anyone seeking to improve their vision. Using his methods I improved my vision from 6/60 to 6/12.
    I leafed through that book about 15 years ago, but couldn't make much sense of it. As for my own case, astigmatism manifests itself physically as irregularities in the eyeball's shape, so I can't imagine exercises helping that characteristic.

JohnK wrote:
    I want the Lasek and was told at the initial consultation that I was suitable for both so I'm happy with that. I hadn't thought of paid sick leave. Might have to try that one :D. Although since I still have about 2&1/2 weeks of last years holidays left I'll probably be told to f**k off in no uncertain terms :p
    I didn't assume that the surgery would qualify for sick leave from work (never thought of asking). Consequently, I timed my holidays so that the LASIK surgery could take place on the second-last day (Thursday) of a two-week holiday from work.

As it happened, the clinic gave me a Sick Cert for an extra two days. I needed the extra days too, as the operation left me quite drained for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

micmclo wrote:
    My job is exactly the same.
    I was able to go back to work on the Wednesday which was eight days after the surgury.
    Are you going for the Lasik or Lasek? Lasik has a shorter recovery period but not everyone is suitable.

If its the Lasek then make sure you take a full week off. The optician in Optilase said he'd provide a letter for my HR department if I needed a few more days off.

In my job I was told I'd have to use a weeks holidays while I thought it would be certified sick leave.

If your manager disagrees as mine did be sure to stand up for yourself. I had to argue like mad to save my holidays. It was referred to HR for a decision in the end who agreed it was to be paid sick leave.
    So, if you can avoid using up your holidays make sure you do.

i'm going for the lasek in about a month, and was told i'd need to take a week off. i just asumed your sick days would cover this, it is, after all, surgery.

anyway, seems to be at the descression of your employer, i don't think there will be a problem, at least i hope not.

micmclo wrote:

Do you mind me asking how you argued your case? I have a Boards thread in mind from some time ago which, more or less, described laser eye surgery as an exercise in pure vanity (along the same lines as cosmetic surgery) and therefore did not warrant sick leave.

I'm of the mindset that the surgery makes one unfit for work for just a few days, but has longer-term benefits ... such as improved concentration from lack of headaches, and removing the need for the employer to provide annual sight tests.

(It's in Irish law that an employer cover the cost of an annual eye test for those who use a VDU for more than one hour a day - which covers a multitude of corporate and technical jobs).

incisor71 wrote:
    Do you mind me asking how you argued your case? I have a Boards thread in mind from some time ago which, more or less, described laser eye surgery as an exercise in pure vanity (along the same lines as cosmetic surgery) and therefore did not warrant sick leave.

I'm of the mindset that the surgery makes one unfit for work for just a few days, but has longer-term benefits ... such as improved concentration from lack of headaches, and removing the need for the employer to provide annual sight tests.

(It's in Irish law that an employer cover the cost of an annual eye test for those who use a VDU for more than one hour a day - which covers a multitude of corporate and technical jobs).

No problem. I remember that thread in the Work forum.

I work in accounts for a well known bank and my job involves staring at a VDU all day every day.

Firstly,I explained that my eyesight had deteriorated over the year I had worked there. This was true and I had an eye sight test from Specsavers to prove this. Anyone's eyesight would worsen in a job like this.

Secondly, I explained that the company hadn't provided me with a screen glare guard. I've a window seat and it's murder on the eyes on a sunny day. I had to spend €45 and bought my own. Another factor in my poor eye sight.

Thirdly, I asked how is it fair that someone who injures themself doing something reckless on a weekend(mountaineering for example) can take weeks and possibly months off if they injure themselves. I was only looking for one week and I would get a letter from medical professionals to prove this.

Finally, I emphased my excellant attendance record. I hadn't missed a single day sick in 11 months.

Maybe some people reading this will decide I'm a chancer but I don't think I did anything wrong

micmclo wrote:
    Maybe some people reading this will decide I'm a chancer but I don't think I did anything wrong
    I think that all the reasons you present are completely valid and plausible.
    micmclo wrote:
    Firstly,I explained that my eyesight had deteriorated over the year I had worked there. This was true and I had an eye sight test from Specsavers to prove this. Anyone's eyesight would worsen in a job like this.
    Slightly back on topic ... would the variation in eyesight over the course of a year not be a precluding factor for laser surgery? I thought that one's prescription had to be stable for at least that long....
    micmclo wrote:
    Secondly, I explained that the company hadn't provided me with a screen glare guard. I've a window seat and it's murder on the eyes on a sunny day. I had to spend €45 and bought my own. Another factor in my poor eye sight.
    It's pretty bad form if the company is prepared to compromise working conditions and people's health for the sake of 45 yo-yos! Maybe they use the excuse that if they buy a screen for one employee they'll have to be seen to do it for everyone....
    micmclo wrote:
    Thirdly, I asked how is it fair that someone who injures themself doing something reckless on a weekend(mountaineering for example) can take weeks and possibly months off if they injure themselves. I was only looking for one week and I would get a letter from medical professionals to prove this.
    Very good point, I'd never have thought of this. But then I don't have an outdoor adventure mentality!

But apart from the fact that you know you'll be unfit to work (or play) during that time, you're in a position to quantify how long you'll be "out of commission", so to speak. It's not as though you can't predict whether you'll be gone for 5 days or 5 months. This is in constrast to someone with a chronic back injury resulting from a mountaineering jaunt, to re-use your example (not belittling those who have back injuries or go mountaineering) - they can't say in advance when or how quickly they'll recover, nor can they promise that the pain won't recur severely enough in the future for them to be unfit for work again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Can anybody tell me the full name of the doctor in the optilase clinic, i know its Dr K Jain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭takethebiscuit

I had wavefront LASIK done in April 2005 at Optilase. Somebody mentioned above about not liking their eyes being clamped open, and that was the one thing I was dreading, but I actually never even noticed them doing it. The procedure itself is a doddle...they give you a little stress ball to play with, which is gas. When I sat up afterwards, one of my eyes had perfect vision and never gave any problems. The other looked like sh*te and was watery and uncomfortable for a good few days, but improved by about a week (stock up on prince valium to get a good sleep). I never saw the 'halo' effect that others have described, and the only side effect was dry eyes for about a month. I'm not joking, but after so many years wearing glasses, my eyes are now bionic....best thing I ever did.

I went with Optilase last Month and am delighted with results.
    Just one bad point about them.

One of their big sellings points is their relationship with Vivas. You can claim back €1000 if you are covered with Vivas and it was one of the biggest factors in me choosing Optilase

On March 19th, I gave them my claim form and asked to get it signed. They assured me they'd look after it. At the start of April, I ran Vivas and asked had they gotten my claim form.They hadn't so I had to chase Optilase all through April to get it sent.

I called to their office last week and basically asked for the form and said I'd post it myself but they refused to give it to me and they it was their usual practice to fax it themselves. Vivas finally got the claim form last Friday.

Not a rant guys. But was seriously annoyed about waiting over 4 weeks to get a simple form posted. I paid for the surgury with my credit card and needed that €1000 to pay it off without incurring interest. I doubt Mastercard will give me over 4 weeks extra to pay my bill if I asked them

So if you go with Optilase and wish to claim from Vivas, be sure to absolutly hound them to get this form filled and posted.

I had my pre-op consultation in Optilase yesterday and everything seems fine so I’m booked for the LASEK on Wednesday morning (14th). I'm with Vivas too so I'll be keeping a close eye on that claim form :D

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote:
    I went with Optilase last Month and am delighted with results.
    Just one bad point about them.

One of their big sellings points is their relationship with Vivas. You can claim back €1000 if you are covered with Vivas and it was one of the biggest factors in me choosing Optilase
    For those who went, or are planning on going, to a clinic whose surgery is not covered by a health insurer, the Revenue's MED-1 form allows tax relief at 42% on both routine and non-routine expenses, for those paying tax at the top rate.

So, having waited a good long while for work to supply me with a P60 for 2005, I posted it and the completed MED-1 form to claim relief. Impressively, just four weeks later, a Revenue cheque arrived - most of which I used to clear the credit union loan that I'd taken out to (partially) fund the surgery. Happy days. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

I've been toying with the idea of getting Laser corrective surgery on my eyes. I've been wearing glasses for 19 years and I'd love to be able to see properly while swimming or the like, or not have to worry about damaging glasses. Has anyone had this done? God experiences?

I believe it costs about €4000 for two eyes which is very cheap IMO for what you get.

Apologies if this thread has been done already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

My brother in-law got it done in England about 5 years ago. Just on the one eye. He said it hurt like hell for a few days and he had to be in darkness for about 3 days but hasn’t had any problems since. He’s recommend it 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

AFAIK its closer to 2K for the eyes, my cousin got hers done up north.

Thinking about gettin it done myself, although the only drawback is a slight worsening of your night vision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

This thread will sort your every need.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054871829

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Magic Pips wrote:

Thinking about gettin it done myself, although the only drawback is a slight worsening of your night vision

2K sounds pretty cheap - for Ireland anyway. probably depends on what treatment you need, it varies from person to person. You can claim a little of it back, through either PRSI or tax returns AFAIK.

My dad got it done, and has to have reading glasses on for any reading whatsoever. Herself also got it done but doesn't need any prescription glasses at all.

Both of them have totally recommended it to everyone who asks. I've heard a few people say that you see a lot of the surgeons who perform it haven't gotten it done and use glasses themselves, but don't know how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Know two people who got it done. In both cases it didn't work firs ttime round. First person was in agony for a couple of weeks, then when it didn't work decided against it. Other person, it worked for a while then stopped. She got it done again and it seems to have worked (was done again about six months ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Magic Pips wrote:

£2K = €4K :(

Also, if you're paying 20% tax, you'll get 20% of the price back, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i got mine done in optilase, ely place, about a month and a half ago.

i got the lasek as you're supposed to have less chance of infection, as they don't cut the cornea.

anyway, i did get an infection, and was pretty sore for the first couple of days, took about 2 weeks to clear up.

my vision is still not 20/20, but alot better than it was.

it should settle down in another couple of months.

i don't mind waiting too much, just would have been nice to have 20/20 after week one.

friend of mine had 20/20 after day 1!, she got the lasik done.

i'd recomend reading up online http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It's worth every penny spent on it. Make sure you research all the places in Dublin that do it and do a good bit of internet research on it too. I had it done three years ago and haven't looked back since (ha ha).

Advertisement