Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Vodka Junkie

There are just so many threads on this....is there any consensus on which might be the best clinic? I'm in Limerick ....there's only one clinic here called the Wavefront Eye Laser Clinic

On threads here I've seen Wellington, Optilase and Blackrock clinics all mentioned.....hows JohnK's eyesight getting on?

I took my surgery in Waterford under a Dr. Condon I believe, he runs his own practice in the city and was referred to me by my mother who worked with him. I've heard he's a bit of an authority on it and I can't state enough how much of a help he was. He gave me 20-20 vision from -6 and he was very willing to discuss any aspect of the operation or anything to do with eyes in general I found. He also scheduled about 6 after op visits to the clinic to keep an eye on the progress with the final one a year after the surgery.

I have to say the operation was the best thing I ever did but ye have to weigh up the pro's and con's for yourself.

but what are the con's ??? How much did you spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

I've been thinking of getting this when I get older, as I've heard it's really successful.

But I'm not quite sure I'm suitable as I had an operation on my eyes when I was three, as I was nearly blind at that age, but now It's easy to see things without my glasses, though still fuzzy. My optition retired a few months ago without warning or notice, so I don't even know if I'm suitable for contacts. :rolleyes:

Is it over 18 that you have to be for the surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

BlueSpiral wrote:
    I've been thinking of getting this when I get older, as I've heard it's really successful.

But I'm not quite sure I'm suitable as I had an operation on my eyes when I was three, as I was nearly blind at that age, but now It's easy to see things without my glasses, though still fuzzy. My optition retired a few months ago without warning or notice, so I don't even know if I'm suitable for contacts. :rolleyes:

Is it over 18 that you have to be for the surgery?
    I could be wrong but I think they generally want you yo be over 21. The idea being that your eyes should have completely settled by then and are unlikly to change.

JohnK how are your eyes now? Do you have 20/20?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

JohnK wrote:
    I could be wrong but I think they generally want you yo be over 21. The idea being that your eyes should have completely settled by then and are unlikly to change.

my optician told me 21+ would probably be ok.. but he reccomended waiting until at least 23+.. just to make sure your eyes have developed/grown/whatever as much as they're going to.

JohnK how are your eyes now? Do you have 20/20?
    Hmm, that’s a tough one. To be honest I don’t think so but I can’t be sure. There are things that are a bit away that when I look at them are a bit blurred but I cant remember if they had been that blurred when I used my glasses. To be frank, I never really paid attention to the level of detail that I had been able to see before so I can’t give an honest comparison. They told me at the 4 day check-up that I was within the required range for driving without glasses so I cant be all that far from 20/20 but I have another check-up on Wednesday so I should have a better idea then. I’ll try and get a proper idea from her as to where my eyes were before I had it done and where they have progressed too now. Even if it’s not 20/20, there is still a hugely noticeable difference.

To be fair though, its still not even two weeks since I had my eyes blasted with a laser so can I really expect perfect vision at this stage? Probably not...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Question: Is 18 too young? I have the impression for some reason eyes are still developing, and are not suitable till your into your twenties? my sister and mother got it done last year, but there not sure either.

Question: Is 18 too young? I have the impression for some reason eyes are still developing, and are not suitable till your into your twenties? my sister and mother got it done last year, but there not sure either.
    I'd hold off for another few years if I was you. They usually want your prescription to be stable for about the last 2 to 3 years and at your age thats probably still changing. Also, the optilase FAQ (http://www.optilase.com/faq.php) states that "You must be at least 21 years of age." I'd imagine that most places would have the same guidelines.

Did you guys who went up to Dublin for surgery have someone with you for the return journey? There's a lot more choice in Dublin compared to Limerick but I'm wondering what kind of state I'd be in after Wavefront Lasik....

• Advertisement

You will need someone with you. My Dad drove me on the day of the surgery and my brother drove me for the 4 day checkup. Optilase will NOT perform the surgery if you don't have someone with you. On the day I did it one of the others (from Dublin) was by himself and they made him ring a friend to come in a get in the taxi with him on the way home. Legally (i think), you cant drive and they strongly recommend against any form of public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Did you guys who went up to Dublin for surgery have someone with you for the return journey? There's a lot more choice in Dublin compared to Limerick but I'm wondering what kind of state I'd be in after Wavefront Lasik....

Well if you're thinking about getting a bus or train back home, forget about it.
    You'll be in no state to travel.

In fact, Optilase state they won't treat you if you show up on the day and plan to use public transport on your own to get home.

Most people would have someone with them. I got a taxi home.

John K, you've more or less posted what I've said right just before me.

micmclo wrote:
    John K, you've more or less posted what I've said right just before me.
    Well you know what they say great minds think alike :D

damn...after getting some info from the Wellington Clinic I was strongly considering going for it there...like I said before there's only one place in Limerick and I've no knowledge as how good they are :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

My brother, who also had LASIK three years previously, drove me to the clinic (the Wellington in Ballsbridge, btw, where he also went) and back on the day of the surgery. I had sufficient vision to make my own way there the following morning for the follow-up check.

Have you asked them to send on their DVD?

damn...after getting some info from the Wellington Clinic I was strongly considering going for it there...like I said before there's only one place in Limerick and I've no knowledge as how good they are :(
    Is there friend or family member who could drive you? I'm in Cork and was driven up and down on the day and to be honest it was grand. I was walking out of the laser room at about 5 or 10 past 1 and was back in the car being driven out of Dublin by 1.20 so if someone is willing to drive you you'll be grand.

Rather than getting this confused with anything else, I’ll make it a separate post.

I had my 2 week check up this morning and here’s how things stand. I was told that individually both of my eyes are a “small” bit below normal vision but that combined they are giving me 20/20 vision. She didn’t qualify exactly what small means but like I said previously it cant be all that much and to be honest that she said I do in fact have 20/20 surprised me a bit what with the blurriness I notice on some things but she also said that my eyes were a bit slow healing so I’m hoping that’s what’s responsible. At this point I’m just hoping that as my eyes continue to heal that the blurriness will clear up but how much or even if it will I just don’t know. My next check up is at the end of July so until then all I can do is follow the old “wait and see” approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

john, keep us updated on the bluriness thing. I really want to know how that works out please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I had a 'enchancement' in the left eye almost 1 full year after having both done. If you are not seeing good make sure to tell them. You have to wait at least 6 weeks before you can have any enchancements. For me they waited nearly a year to ensure that my eyes were settled and not drifting slightly over or under.

Perfect vision now, so it's worth it all the way.
    Cheerio
    Howard

deise_boi wrote:
    john, keep us updated on the bluriness thing. I really want to know how that works out please.
    Will do :)
    hshortt wrote:
    I had a 'enchancement' in the left eye almost 1 full year after having both done. If you are not seeing good make sure to tell them. You have to wait at least 6 weeks before you can have any enchancements. For me they waited nearly a year to ensure that my eyes were settled and not drifting slightly over or under.

Cheerio
    Howard
    I've told them about the blurryness at both check ups so I'd imagine that they are just hoping it clear up too. I'm sure I read somewhere or maybe I was just told but I think for Optilase the standard procedure is that if there is any touch up work needed then it'll be done 3 months after the initial procedure and that its covered by the overall cost but only if done within one year of the original treatment. Hopefully though I wont need any enchancement as that would totally **** up my plans for the coming year.

• Advertisement

deise_boi wrote:

Yes hoping that it all clears up fine for you as I'm sure it will:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

If you do need an enhancement don't stress it. For me the enchanced eye healed much quicker than the first time and required less drops due to tiredness etc.

Good luck.

cheers
    Howard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I asked a guy i know where he got his done and he said it was in the mater private - anyone been there??.I was tempted to go to blackrock but have heard that most times you still have to wear glasses for reading/using a PC so thats pointless for me as I work on a pc all day. Howver this guy went to the mater private and now he does not need glasses at all and he was -7 nearly so the mater is now one im thinking about

hshortt wrote:
    I had a 'enchancement' in the left eye almost 1 full year after having both done. If you are not seeing good make sure to tell them. You have to wait at least 6 weeks before you can have any enchancements.

Cheerio
    Howard
    That comes as a major relief! I was on to the Wellington clinic just today to organise a checkup for enhancement surgery, as my right eye still has a -1.00 astigmatism, and vision is noticeably more blurry than the left when I try looking through each eye alternately (as one tends to do when monitoring the progress of eye surgery).

It'll be late September before I actually get it done, which will be just under a year since the original surgery date, so the eyes will have settled fully... I hope.

Siogfinsceal, at my very first consultation early last year I was chatting with a guy who'd had his eyes done at the Mater Private four years back (he didn't describe what eye defect he'd originally had). He told me he had to go back to wearing glasses again. :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

are the enhancements included in the original costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

sillpss wrote:
    I got laser eye surgery about 8 months ago. I was a bit nervous about getting it done so researched for about 6 months. Since having it I haven't regretted it for a single second, my vision was extremely poor ( I couldn't read a newspaper that heas held a foot from my face) but since its 20/20. I have suffered no adverse problems at all, and I know it might sound a bit overly dramatic but it really has changed my life, if even in a small way.

I got it done in Optilase in Ely Place just off stevens green. This place was at the time I got it done the best value in Ireland, probably still is but you would have to check, it was much cheaper than belfast and blackrock anyways. this deosn't mean their any less capable, they provide you with the backround information on their opticians and surgeons whe you go for a consultation or by post. They all have tons of expierience and there head surgeon that actually deos the operation was head of a major optical surgery institute for years.

Just reading over that I think I should say I in no way work for or own stock in optilase, I was just really impressed with the work they do and the aftercare was amazing.

Rusty spoon questions
    1. it costs 1800 for two eyes (for lasik and lasek-the two most common types, and around 2800 for waveform)
    2.It is safe, as safe as any surgery, i personally know about 14 people that had it done and no one had any problems. The clinic is required by law to tell how many cases if any resulted in problems if you ask the straight out.
    3.It takes on average only 1-2 days with lasek and waveform and 3-4 with lasik( you have to year eye shields-kinda like goggles- for the recovery time and put a few drops in for about 2-3 weeks.
    4.the waveform technolodgy takes a kinda topographic scan of your eye and is suposed to improved night vision and things like glare and halos as well as eye sight.
    5. In optilase the waiting time from consultation to surgery was on 1 week( there aren't really any waitng lists as the surgeory only takes 10-15 mins.
    6.I am not sure about the tax relief in mainland britain or NI but I cant see any reason why they would refund tax. Maybe a chance in NI.
    They refund around 50% off the money in the Republic.

I hope all this helps every one, as for canus lupus- you honestly cannot feel a ny pain or discomfort what soever during the surgery and if you don't like the thought of them making an incision, you could have Lasek done in which they dont cut your eye at all, they just sortof brush the lens aside.

I'm gonna assume you work for optilase. I've been waiting since Jan for my op... still waiting. Next month hopefully. Hopefully thats why they are cheaper ... cause the waiting list is so long. The doc travels to and from other hospitals in the UK.

tk123 wrote:
    are the enhancements included in the original costs?
    Yes, but sometimes there are strings attached, for example, you may need to get the enhancement surgery done within 12 months of the original operation.

KlodaX wrote:
    I'm gonna assume you work for optilase.
    Why is that?

incisor71 wrote:
    Yes, but sometimes there are strings attached, for example, you may need to get the enhancement surgery done within 12 months of the original operation.
    Thats how it is in Optilase. If its done within the year its covered otherwise you have to pay again. I'm sure there are one or two other conditions aswell though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

thanks guys - especially you JohnK for letting us all know what you're going thru etc!! :D

Advertisement