Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer intensives in Ireland?

Options
  • 08-01-2006 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any (ballet) summer intensives held in Ireland? Or even just standard ballet summer courses that they can give a good review of? I need something to fill up some of the summer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

Did you think about going to England there are some really good ones like the international ballet summer school thats in the royal ballet school and theres a good few more aswel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

The Royal Ballet School course is a consideration, I've been looking for stuff closer to home as well. It seems that Ireland is barren as regards summer intensives, which is a pity.

Yea theres not that many here1 tring park do a good course in england aswel.Last summer I did a dance summer school In Ireland and I took lots of extra classes in different kinds of dance then what I would normally do like hip hop and salsa and then I just worked on my ballet myself. that worked for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

I did that kinda thing last summer ^ too. And Liquorice, if you can't find a place, you could try asking a local teacher to do a couple of classes over the summer? Myself and some of my friends from my dance class did that last cummer, and she was willing to do it 'cos there were enough of us asking. we organised it so we'd pay 7euro a class, so we could miss one or two, and just drop in. It was good just to keep us supple, we did some intermediate and contemporary as well as pointe work. We all gave her our mobile numbers to tell her if we weren't gonna be there, in case not enough of us were going and it had to be cancelled. It worked out really well, and it's a good way to fill out some time between courses or holidays or whatever.
    Hope that helps

I'm not too worried about not having a chance to stay supple, my teacher holds non-syllabus classes during the summer that anyone can attend, it's more the challenge of a summer intensive that I'm looking for. I think it'll be an English course for me, thank you both for your advice :)

• Advertisement

Its grand wil you post support for my suggestion for a dance forum please! go to system and then to forums!

done and done!
    and liquorice, who's your teet0r, by the way? just interested...

curliq wrote:
    done and done!
    and liquorice, who's your teet0r, by the way? just interested...

From the ages of four to sixteen it was Ann Cassini, but I started a new class last March and gave up Ann Cassini's class in June, my new teacher is Sylvia Behan.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

There is one ballet intensive in Ireland that's worth looking into- Shawbrook Ballet School in Longford. It's residency and all, which is a plus so u don't have to sort out your own accommodation while you're there. I've heard great things about it and apparently it's somewhat organised like intensives abroad.

You could also call The INYBCO and proireland to see if they have classes during the summer.

Alternatively, you should look into going away. Obviously if you're young you want to be extra careful but I had great summers away at intensives and it's an experience you don't want to miss!

btw, Royal's summer places are based on auditions and I'm sure the preliminaries have started, or will be starting soon. Pick up a few dance mags like DanceEurope- they always have ads on it for the summer, especially around this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Kleptopink

www.apdi.ie Might help...

• Advertisement

Liquorice wrote:
    From the ages of four to sixteen it was Ann Cassini, but I started a new class last March and gave up Ann Cassini's class in June, my new teacher is Sylvia Behan.

oh cool, i know (of) Sylvia behan! she was my teacher's teacher, and we do our exams in her studio. She asked one of my friends to do some classes with her, so you might meet her sometime soon (maybe possibly probably not)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

Hi I was just wondering if any of you are still interested in ballet training as I have a friend that is starting a class for people with experience. She was formally a professional ballet dancer in Italy and Austria. She is finding it hard to find people interessted so i just read the thread and thought it could interest any of you. Thanks

Advertisement