Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burton V Man Utd (will contain scores)

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The Muppet wrote:
    It stands for " laughing my effing Ar*e off" .

Ah thanks Muppet. I'm sure there were a good few doing that alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ah, we at least we didn't concede. They never really looked like scoring, so it's really not all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

still in the hat,just about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

PHB wrote:
    Ah, we at least we didn't concede. They never really looked like scoring, so it's really not all that bad.
    They had two headers cleared off the line, and "never really looked like scoring"?

No they didn't, and you know this, so why are you saying it.
    Their headers were weak and were never good enough to beat either the keeper or the two full backs which are always at United posts. They never created a clear cut chance against United.
    At no point during that game was I worried about being scored against, and we weren't.
    No defensive mistakes, just not enough slick movement going forward, and we had one or two decent chances, one of which would definally have been put away if it wasn't for an odd bounce(Ronaldo's pass to Saha)

Alas, thats the fun of the FA Cup, and I'm perfectly happy to see Burton go to Old Trafford, take on the same team again, and I"m confident we will win easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote:
    No they didn't, and you know this, so why are you saying it.
    Their headers were weak and were never good enough to beat either the keeper waffle ad infinitum
    But that wasn't the game plan was it? It was never about Burtonm and their "threat" to Manu. Facts are Facts Manu had 0, yes thats a zero, shots on goal in the first half. I did not look up the stats, but I counted 3 shots on target in the second half.

This was meant to be a showcase for the up and coming players within Manu, albeit backed up with 4-5 experienced staff. One which embarrasingly and spectacularly backfired. So, yes your right, Burtons shots that were cleared off the line were never going to be anything else, where they? But that should not have mattered. Should it?

This was meant to be a showcase for the up and coming players within Manu

Says who? Fergie? Quierez? Me? Any United fans?
    Or is it just you?

Infact the first thing Fergie said about this match was its gona be tough, against a team playing the biggest game of their life, against a team who is playing at home, on a pitch which nullifies the skill of all the players there, making it a lot more based on grim determination, and thats where Burton matched United without a doubt.

You see the way nobody from United sound particuarly worried? See the way United fans aren't worried? Infact see the way the only people who seem to care are some opposition fans, and the majority don't.
    Why? Cause thats football, and you won't win every match, but is there anyone in the world who doesn't think United will baet Burton at Old Trafford with the same team?

PHB wrote:
    Says who? Fergie? Quierez? Me? Any United fans?
    Or is it just you?
    Look at the players he played.
    Infact the first thing Fergie said about this match was its gona be tough, against a team playing the biggest game of their life, against a team who is playing at home, on a pitch which nullifies the skill of all the players there, making it a lot more based on grim determination, and thats where Burton matched United without a doubt.
    Like he was going to say that they should be a pushover? Even I know Fergie is media savy. Of couse he was going to say that this match was going to be a tough one. I thought that, and I could be wrong, that you said earlier that this was not going to be a repeat of the Exeter debacle?
    You see the way nobody from United sound particuarly worried? See the way United fans aren't worried? Infact see the way the only people who seem to care are some opposition fans, and the majority don't.
    Why? Cause thats football, and you won't win every match, but is there anyone in the world who doesn't think United will baet Burton at Old Trafford with the same team?
    No. And again, that's not the point. Manu, against Burton Albion and ending up with a draw, is the point. An embarresing one at that. Do you find that so hard to admit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i was just unhappy solskjaer didnt get a bit more into it. first game back i know but i was hopin for somethin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Burton V Man Utd (will contain scores)

or maybe not, but definitely it contained a shock!

Burton, like Clyde, well worth their achievements today.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    i was just unhappy solskjaer didnt get a bit more into it. first game back i know but i was hopin for somethin.
    He was crap, which is marginally better than Saha. Although in the Assasins case it is not surprising given the amount he has been through over the last 18 months.

Embarissment implies that it was Uniteds fault, it wasn't. It was Burton's doing. The difference between my view and your view is that you see this as Uniteds failure, while I see this as Burton's success.
    However I know they won't continue their success in Old Trafford, so I don't really care.

PHB wrote:
    The difference between my view and your view is that you see this as Uniteds failure, while I see this as Burton's success.
    Are the two mutually exclusive? I see it as both actually.

Nope, but its about emphasis.

I don't think any of the united players played particuarly poorly. I was happy with the preformance of some youngsters, and I was happy with the overall benefit it had for United. We didn't win it, but the only person I was unhappy with tonight was Saha, but I think he'll bounce back. Nobody elses preformance was particuarly bad, but we had a weak midfield, one of which is a very young kid, one of which is onyl playing in midfield because of fitness reasons, one of which was brought in 2 seconds before the match, and one of which had a fairly decent game(richardson), but unfortunately the pitch just didn't suit his style of play(pace) at all. Thus we were never really gona break through without a moment of magic from Rossi or Saha, which didn't come, and then when the magic men came on, Rooney and Ronaldo, we had some creation, but unfortunately not enough time.

PHB wrote:
    Nope, but its about emphasis.
    Whom's? Yours or mine? Like I said Manu were embarressing and Burton were great. Riddle me this. Who deserved to win?
    I don't think any of the united players played particuarly poorly. I was happy with the preformance of some youngsters, and I was happy with the overall benefit it had for United.
    I thought, saha was abysmal, o'shea brutal and solksjar totally ineffective.
    We didn't win it, but the only person I was unhappy with tonight was Saha,
    Ok, so now you are contradicting yourself?
    but I think he'll bounce back. Nobody elses preformance was particuarly bad, but we had a weak midfield,
    Why do you think that was? Complacency on Fergies part?
    one of which is a very young kid, one of which is onyl playing in midfield because of fitness reasons, one of which was brought in 2 seconds before the match,
    O'Shea I presume? Is this a reason for his poor display? He was supposed to be on the bench anyhow, was he not?
    and one of which had a fairly decent game(richardson), but unfortunately the pitch just didn't suit his style of play(pace) at all. Thus we were never really gona break through without a moment of magic from Rossi or Saha, which didn't come,
    It was the same for both teams, though.
    and then when the magic men came on, Rooney and Ronaldo, we had some creation, but unfortunately not enough time.
    30 odd minutes? Not long enough to break down Burton? I think you may be clutching at straws TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I thought burton played very well and deserved their trip to old trafford, United didnt play badly though, Burton just defended well and got stuck into united and definitely didnt deserve to lose on the night, the pitch was a joke, doesnt matter if they are a conference team or not they have no excuse for letting the pitch get into that state, you could see the burton players were much more used to that kind of surface than the united players and i thought Gilroy on the left had a great game and was constantly giving united problems

Hobart wrote:
    Facts are Facts Manu had 0, yes thats a zero, shots on goal in the first half. I did not look up the stats

yeah your right you didnt look up the stats, Bardsley had a shot that just skimmed over the bar when he broke through on the right in first half

yeah your right you didnt look up the stats, Bardsley had a shot that just skimmed over the bar when he broke through on the right in first half
    How is a shot that "just skimmed over the bar" a shot on target?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I kinda of agree with Hobart that it was a pretty embarassing result for Man U but it was certainly more a success for Burton than a failure for Man U. They played very well on the day and didnt deserve to lose the game. They deserve their big pay day now but they wont win at OT.

Hobart wrote:
    yes thats a zero, shots on goal in the first half

i think you said shots on goal in this comment, Bardsley's effort is still a shot on goal even if it was off target, anyway this stat is irrelevant, fair play to Burton they deserved the result on the night

• Advertisement

i think you said shots on goal in this comment, Bardsley's effort is still a shot on goal even if it was off target, anyway this stat is irrelevant, fair play to Burton they deserved the result on the night
    Ok, so in a further effort to split hairs, how is a shot that is missing the goal a shot on goal? Is it because it is in the general direction of the goal? Anyhow, yes I meant shots on target, which were 0. Shots (as in atempts to get the ball somewhere in the vicinity of the goal, or where the opposing player shows intent) where 5 according to opta. Nice stat for "one of the best teams in the world".

But it was the pitch, weather, young squad, injuries, pre-match soup, whatever. It was what it was. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

PHB wrote:
    Why?

Did you not hear the chant of the Man Utd supporters at the game "Fergie, Fergie sort it out" but I guess they don't care. I don't know how you can say as a Utd fan that it does not matter that you could not beat a non league team. For me its further evidence of the decline of Utd.

From Football365...
    The chants during the game of "Fergie, Fergie sort it out" were swiftly followed by complaints voiced on phone-in programmes such as talkSPORT, as well as the message board of Manchester United's official website.

One of the most damning comments was on talkSPORT, where one caller asked for the players and staff to be sacked for gross negligence, and described Ferguson's choice of players as "an insult".

The messages on the United messageboard were no more complimentary, with many calling for a change of manager and clear-out of players:

'Why does Fergie always make us look like chumps against these teams? Why doesnt he play the best team he has and leave the youngsters on the bench? Silvestre, Richardson, O'Shea are the most experienced ones and they were the worse players on the pitch - they should be sold asap'

'Simply too bad. United team with no concept. Capello - please come...'

'Absolutely pathetic. This is a year without the CL, when we should've focussed much more heavily on giving full respect to the FA Cup. This was a terrible line-up, and there were few positives to take from it.'

'If Fergie wanted anything to keep the bad press away from speculating about his position and the club's position, than he should've taken this much more seriously. I'm reminded of last year and the phrase: "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"

'Same mistake two years running, and it's the mark of poor management to do such a thing.'

Ferguson's claims of satisfaction with the draw further annoyed many fans, with one saying 'we should be ashamed rather than satisfied.'

The excuse offered by many, the state of the pitch, was dismissed by fans who pointed out that 'both teams played on the same pitch'.

But perhaps the comment that summed it up best was simply 'another black day for United.'

But I guess the United fans are not worried :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

the pitch was a joke, doesnt matter if they are a conference team or not they have no excuse for letting the pitch get into that state, you could see the burton players were much more used to that kind of surface than the united players and i thought Gilroy on the left had a great game and was constantly giving united problems

There was 50 tonnes of sand spread on the pitch for the game which explains why it played like it did.
    Did you not hear the chant of the Man Utd supporters at the game "Fergie, Fergie sort it out" but I guess they don't care. I don't know how you can say as a Utd fan that it does not matter that you could not beat a non league team. For me its further evidence of the decline of Utd.

From Football365...

But I guess the United fans are not worried :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm certainly not worried anyway, Now if we had conceded 3 goals against a lower divison team that may be cause for concern. There is no evidence to support your united in decline comment, united in transition yes but on the up again IMO.

Hobart wrote:
    Ok, so in a further effort to split hairs, how is a shot that is missing the goal a shot on goal? Is it because it is in the general direction of the goal? Anyhow, yes I meant shots on target, which were 0. Shots (as in atempts to get the ball somewhere in the vicinity of the goal, or where the opposing player shows intent) where 5 according to opta. Nice stat for "one of the best teams in the world".

But it was the pitch, weather, young squad, injuries, pre-match soup, whatever. It was what it was. :rolleyes:

A shot is a shot at goal, if a player shoots in "general direction of the goal" of course its considered a shot, doesnt matter if the player misses, usually in a stats summary theres a shots on target and shots off target total sometimes theres even a row for blocked shotshttp://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=351377&CPID=1&clid=&channel=. If you were playing pro evolution you press the square button for a shot, fair enough i agree United had 0 shots on target in the first half, and that's very poor considering the supposed gap in quality between teams, i had a look at the stats there and it says they had only 2 shots on target in the whole game, which is disgraceful, so i'm not going to waste anymoe time talking about the stats of a 0-0 draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

The Muppet wrote:
    There is no evidence to support your united in decline comment
    Have not won the league since the 2002-2003 season. Knocked out of Europe before xmas for the first time in what 10/11 years? Players like O'Shea, Fletcher and Smith playing in the center of the park. FA Cup is the biggest trophy you could win this year but you couldn’t even score against a non league side. Keane gone already, Fergie probably going in the summer. Uncertainty surrounding the Glaziers and what that means in regards to finances to the club.

Compare that to the late nineties early 2000's and I think there is only one conclusion you can come to. The next managers appointment is crucial for man Utd, get it wrong and they could be set back years and years.

The Muppet wrote:
    I'm certainly not worried anyway,
    I'm sure Alex's mind will be set at ease to hear the latest breaking news MUPPET NOT WORRIED :rolleyes: .
    Now if we had conceded 3 goals against a lower divison team that may be cause for concern.
    Yea, because the European Champions (count the stars in my sig) they lost at the weekend did'nt they?
    There is no evidence to support your united in decline comment,
    You must be trolling. You simply must be. No evidence? Not in decline? What? Are they in the ascendency then? They are most definitely in decline, no matter what way you try to put a gloss on it.
    united in transition yes but on the up again IMO.
    On the up? On yesterdays evidence? With the future of Manu on the pitch? With the fans chanting, once more, for Fergie to "sort it out", to quote the Burton fans, "you're 'avin a laugh'

Have not won the league since the 2002-2003 season. Knocked out of Europe before xmas for the first time in what 10/11 years? Players like O'Shea, Fletcher and Smith playing in the center of the park. FA Cup is the biggest trophy you could win this year but you couldn’t even score against a non league side. Keane gone already, Fergie probably going in the summer. Uncertainty surrounding the Glaziers and what that means in regards to finances to the club.

Compare that to the late nineties early 2000's and I think there is only one conclusion you can come to.

The next managers appointment is crucial for man Utd, get it wrong and they could be set back years and years..

You are entitled to come to whatever conclusion you want but I would come to a different conclusion. UTD didn't win the league 2003 because an excellent Arsenal side went the season unbeaten, Didn't win it 2004 because an excellent Chelsea side also had a record breaking season. To say those teams won it because Utd were in decline is disingenious to them and does not pay them the respect they deserve.

Fa cup is not the biggest trophy UTD can win this year. They can still win the league.

Fergie is going nowhere in the summer he has just spent fifteen million pounds with more players on the way which has to be seen as a vote of confidence by the Glaziers. Fergie is well on the way to building his third team and will be in the united hot seat for a couple more seasons yet which is great news. The appointment of his successor will be an important decision but thats a few years off so no need to worry about that yet.

Oh this argument is going to be fun, oh no wait, it won't be, so why bother Muppet? Its been done to death, and no real resolution will come from it.

Those fans calling for Fergie out are idiots, and I know the type. No serious United fan who isn't 17 years old wants Fergie out, except for a few, but their opinions havn't changed from last night. United on 41 points at the half way mark, where do you think that ranks in best first halfs of the seasons? Also they've strengthed, are in second place, and are still spending.

PHB wrote:
    Oh this argument is going to be fun, oh no wait, it won't be, so why bother Muppet? Its been done to death, and no real resolution will come from it.

Those fans calling for Fergie out are idiots, and I know the type. No serious United fan who isn't 17 years old wants Fergie out, except for a few, but their opinions havn't changed from last night. United on 41 points at the half way mark, where do you think that ranks in best first halfs of the seasons? Also they've strengthed, are in second place, and are still spending.

Exactly ,That should put an end to it but somehow I doubt it will.

The Muppet wrote:
    Exactly ,That should put an end to it but somehow I doubt it will.
    Says he dragging it up once more :rolleyes: .

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    Says he dragging it up once more :rolleyes: .

Correction : Says he replying to a post directed at him.
    phb wrote:

Listen, you should concentrate more of your time studying the World Cup winners, instead of "directing replies" and stating so called "facts" . There is a big tournie coming up in the summer, and you have a bit to catch up on.

Hobart wrote:
    Listen, you should concentrate more of your time studying the World Cup winners, instead of "directing replies" and stating so called "facts" . There is a big tournie coming up in the summer, and you have a bit to catch up on.

YAWN!

Advertisement