Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the Metro phone service work ok now?

• 08-01-2006 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

I'm talking to a couple of people about ways of lowering their telephone and broadband bills, and it seems to me that Digiweb's Metro is one of the best going. Does the phone service work reliably and is the number porting relatively smooth? In fact, how long has it typically taken to port the number?

For somebody with an Eircom line and Eircom BB, €42.35 a month ain't bad.

These people don't care too much about the speed, so BT's €40 a month for 1mbps (soon to be 2Mbps) and line rental is also compelling and presumably an awful lot less hassle all things considered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

still waiting on the phone service to be activated here in Limerick [dunno how many in LIM have phone service tho]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Blaster99 wrote:
    I'm talking to a couple of people about ways of lowering their telephone and broadband bills, and it seems to me that Digiweb's Metro is one of the best going. Does the phone service work reliably and is the number porting relatively smooth? In fact, how long has it typically taken to port the number?

For somebody with an Eircom line and Eircom BB, €42.35 a month ain't bad.

These people don't care too much about the speed, so BT's €40 a month for 1mbps (soon to be 2Mbps) and line rental is also compelling and presumably an awful lot less hassle all things considered?

Dont forget Smart either - 35 euros.

I would be very reluctant to recommend BT even if they halved their costs - signal seems to be grand but..................

I spole to two people seperately in the last week who told me they paid BT money they were convinced that they did not owe them simply to get debt collectors off their backs:( I pointed out to them that the debt collection thing apparently is not a rare thing with them but of course as average person in the street does not rad boards they are not going to know about this type of behaviour or how to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I take the silence to mean that the phone service does not work. Considering all the hoopla around this stuff, you'd think it might.

Unfortunately these people are on planet reality so Smart and the other vapour ISP's are not available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Blaster99 wrote:
    I take the silence to mean that the phone service does not work. Considering all the hoopla around this stuff, you'd think it might.

Unfortunately these people are on planet reality so Smart and the other vapour ISP's are not available.

Phone service is working. It had a problem in past where people could not hear you when dialled out but thats fixed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

gurramok wrote:
    Phone service is working. It had a problem in past where people could not hear you when dialled out but thats fixed now.

The phone service is working for me but i rarely use it because people always say that my voice breaks up and they can't hear me properly. Maybe its the dect phone i'm using, not sure if changeing my phone would fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I haven't used the actual Metro phone line, but VoIP over a 4MB Metro line (using a dedicated provider, dedicated SIP router) works great. I've had 3 people using phones with 5 to 10 PCs running through the line all at the same time with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

mickger wrote:
    The phone service is working for me but i rarely use it because people always say that my voice breaks up and they can't hear me properly. Maybe its the dect phone i'm using, not sure if changeing my phone would fix it.

See what it is like on a real phone. Some Dect phones are OK, some appear to have a wireless range of about 6ft.

Some areas have Metro phone. But there is a technical issue in Limerick they hope to resolve soon.

Skype is perfect on it, but I want the "real" phone service.

Advertisement