Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startin out

Options
  • 08-01-2006 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

In Ireland how much options do you have when starting out as a comic book writer or artist or are we all unfortunate and have been born in the wrong country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

There is one Irish comic I am aware of called slainne or something but otherwise I am tumped when it comes to Irish comics. IMHO it seems pretty barren in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Centurion Angel

Is there any easy option (nothing in life be'in easy I know but one can dream) in england at all like are there any small companies and do freakshow have a web site

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's a few Irish comics around the place, but generally you have to sort out printing and everything yourself. To my knowledge, only Freakshow has gotten to the stage of being distributed by Diamond (and this may change, given the new rules on how many units you have to sell per issue for them to distribute your comic).

You can check this page for details on all the irish comics currently being published in Ireland, but if you're serious about starting a career in writing/illustrating comics, your best bet is probably to try for 2000AD in the UK. Alternatively, keep an eye out for a magazine called Red Eye, it's a fairly good guide to the alternative/indepented/underground comics scene in the UK and may have a few leads for you to follow up.

And no, Freakshow doesn't have a website as far as I know. Both atomicdiner.com and atomic-diner.com have been registered, but neither has any content online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 oogieboogie

DIY is the way to go anyway! If you need ideas on how to go about doing it yourself,the website below is amazing! All things considered,there is a lot of oppertunity to printing it yourself, there are a lot of places you can sell it without a publisher and you will get respect deserved aswell. You can sell it on consignment to distros all around ireland.. im working on my first comic at the moment aswell,so if you want to talk more about it,feel free to email me or Pm me.:cool:

http://www.artbabe.com/comicsandart/diy/diy_make.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Garth Ennis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tylerdurden

clamnuts, aka Bob Byrne is worth getting in touch with. He produces Mbleh and the free comic 'the Shiznit'... check out his site and drop him a line.

He knows what he;s talking about when it comes to the Irish Comics scene. Pity you missed the comics con.

Or you could consider starting a web comic, rather than going the print route...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Yes I must agree with Mr Durden, I know what I'm talking about
    so feel free to ask a few questions. My site: www.clamnuts.com

Advertisement