Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney next Man U Captain !?!

• 08-01-2006 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Read this on football 365 that fergie reckons he has the metal toughness to be captain. Linky

Just wondering what your thoughts on this are?

Personally I prefer a captain to be more in the vein of mr. Keane, no nonsence and willing to dish out the dirt when someone isn't pulling their wait. Does Rooney have this?

Just noticed he got handed the armband in todays match when he came on...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah I think he has the personality traits of a good captain...can lead by example and has the personality to rally players...but maybe he needs to get his firey temper in check...poor discipline was Keano's only weakness in his prime, maybe it could be for rooney too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think he will make a good captain but he is a bit young yet. Fergie is reported to have named Giggs, Scholes, Ruud, Rooney and Neville as the players considered for the captains armband whe Keano left.

No mention of Ferdinand in there which is a little surprising. Considering the purchases United have just made I wonder what effect that will have on his future united career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Gary Neville is going to be at Utd for the rest of his career it would seem, so i guess Rooney would have to wait untill his mid 20's to become Utd captain, by that time his temper should be under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Moved to Humour. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

When Neville retires I could see Rooney getting the armband. I'm sure he would mature into an excellent captain.

I don't think Ferdinand has what it takes to be a great captain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Yeah he's too young to be captain at the moment, although he certainly has all the qualities required. A bit of agression does no harm, just so long as he channels his aggression in the right way. He'll learn to do that as he matures.

Out of the current crop of United players, he is already the most influential so I really think it's only a matter of time, and once Neville retires or leaves he should get the armband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Neville till he rtires, then Wes Brown. Only problem with Wes is that he can't stay fit enough at the moment, but if he does manage to, I think he's their best bet.
    Captains need to lead from the back or midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The Muppet wrote:
    No mention of Ferdinand in there which is a little surprising.
    The squid marked his own card during his contractual issues with United. Since then he has rightfully been removed from any function involving leadership.

I think that Rooney would make a good captain in a few years time when he is more experienced and when some of the current senior players retire. He has that determination and drive that was always present in Keane when things were going badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Neville till he rtires, then Wes Brown. Only problem with Wes is that he can't stay fit enough at the moment, but if he does manage to, I think he's their best bet.
    Captains need to lead from the back or midfield.
    I'd tend to agree with having a mid fielder or a defender as captain but Wes!? Can't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Serious question... Do Utd fans really feel that Neville is a good captain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Hagar wrote:
    Moved to Humour. ;)
    eh, why? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Give it to John O'Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i think neville is the best suited at the moment. after that for me it is rooney. no matter who is wearing that band he is the leader of that team right now. its a scary thought but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Best solution at the time....though not a great captain imo. Compare him the the other great united captains of the past....not in the same class in terms of influence. He needed Keane to bail him out in the tunnel with Paddy Viera last year ffs.

One thing though...he lives and breaths united so there is no issue with Loyalty/comitment. He's a good captain but not a great one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Rooney will make a good captain in about 5 or 6 years. His temper is still worrisome and until he calms a bit, it won't be happening. He's a great example for the game though with his drive, passion and determination and will one day make a fine captain, I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im not sure on Rooney. He is influential in the way he plays football but im not sure he has the know how to talk to the other players on the pitch and let them know what to do etc. I dont think I have seen him have a go at another player for not doing his job, Maybe that will come with age but at the moment I wouldnt think he would be a great captain at all, especially compared to Man U captains of the past. Great players dont necessarily make great captains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

PiE wrote:
    Serious question... Do Utd fans really feel that Neville is a good captain?
    I don't think he's necessarily a great captain but he's certainly the best option available among those who would be considered and would play regularly. The words 'solid' and 'dependable' come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I think Heinze would make a good captain though am not sure on his language skills for giving the other players stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Neville is a good captain, but obviously not a Keane.

Neville is hugely respected by the players, both at United and in the English squad.
    He also never has a bad game, and is very very very solid, rarely has a bad game, and is a real impetus going forward.
    But he is United through and through, and will be there for about 2 to 3 more years, then Rooney will probably take over.

Advertisement