Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Phone time... which to go for?

• 08-01-2006 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Woohoo first post! I'm a pretty avid forum goer, but only just recently heard about Boards. Been looking for a new phone the last few weeks and thought I'd post another thread about it on another forum to get more ideas :)

Right now I have a Nokia 6230 from Meteor that I got about a year ago. I'm not looking for anything more than what I have really, but here's what I need in a new phone.
    • Looking for a clamshell, not necessary, but preferable.
    • Must have a decent and large screen, 178x200+ (6230 has a 128x128 - too small)
    • Must play MP3 ringtones, I don't need an mp3 player as I already have one, just need it to play those tones. Speaker needs to be loud too! I'm often in town and can't hear my phone or feel it vibrating
    • Camera, at least a 1.3MP... preferably with a built in flash/light
    • Have decent software, and texting - I text a LOT with free meteor-meteor texts.

The thing I really don't want is another network, I know I can get a vodafone and unlock it... but I HATE vodafones branding, and they're whole phone software set up... it sucks, and you can't get rid of it easily or without some sort of trouble.

Anywho, just about to run out the door, will update this later if I think of anything. Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I highly recommend the K750i on Meteor. You should be entitled to an upgrade if you have the contract over 12 months. You'll get the phone for the highest price of 109, cheapest of 49.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Nokia 6680......bit bigger than the nokia 6230 though!!

6680 is Vodafone only with branding everywhere.

chrislad wrote:
    6680 is Vodafone only with branding everywhere.
    In fairness the branding isn't too bad, you can disable the 3G splash, the Live! button and the Vodafone theme. Like I did with mine, lol.

But if you use a 3G phone on Meteor you MUST disable 3G on the phone. If you enter a roaming area and the phone switches to O2, it will try to lock on to O2's 3G network (which Meteor customers aren't allowed to do). As a result the phone will stop working in O2 3G areas. Identical to the old Vodafone prepaid problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

how bout the sagem myx6-2? only 149 on meteor

1.3mp camera,video,flash
    mp3 ringtones/player
    bluetooth
    infra red
    mini-sd card slot

the next cheapest phone on meteor with a card slot is 289 (6230i)
    this is the best phone under 200, narrowly beating the k700i because of the card slot
    http://gsmarena.com/sagem_my_x6_2-1139.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

chrislad wrote:
    I highly recommend the K750i on Meteor. You should be entitled to an upgrade if you have the contract over 12 months. You'll get the phone for the highest price of 109, cheapest of 49.

I looked into that one... it's still on the list, but I'm PAYG, and 8 away from being able to start up with bill pay.
    Karsini wrote:
    In fairness the branding isn't too bad, you can disable the 3G splash, the Live! button and the Vodafone theme. Like I did with mine, lol.

But if you use a 3G phone on Meteor you MUST disable 3G on the phone. If you enter a roaming area and the phone switches to O2, it will try to lock on to O2's 3G network (which Meteor customers aren't allowed to do). As a result the phone will stop working in O2 3G areas. Identical to the old Vodafone prepaid problem.

What I want is for it to be set to the manufacturer settings, I know themes are changeable but from what I've read they change a lot more of the software and things than from what the manufacturer sends out. You've also go the outter lables, definately a big thing, I'm not all about astetics but I hate the vodafone label... does my head in.
    Thanks for the tip about disabling 3G, I would have been buggered had I not known that.

I've looked at reviews for the...

Nokia 6680
    Nokia 6260
    Sony Ericsson K750i
    Sony Ericsson Z520i
    Sony Ericsson Z800 (Vodafones V800)

...and a few others. I preferably wanna go for a nokia with Symbian 60, but their only decent clamshel is the 6260, but with the only soft buttons up the top it'd be a pain in the rear for single hand texting. Then there's the 6680, but the buttons on that thing are tiny, even worse than the 6230...
    The SE Z800 looks like a really nice phone, just a bit to pricey for me. Sim free that is, I will not pay €350 for a vodafone branded phone... right now anyway.

I want to stay away from Motorola (stupid v525... never doing that again), Siemens, and Sagem, anything else is open for the moment.

[Edit]
    CV - I'm looking at the Sagem now, I've never liked their phones, as a few friends have had them. Will read a few reviews and make a decision, but probably will opt out.

To make it clear, at the moment nothing sold by Meteor catches my eye, so I've been browsing E-bay, expansys and a few other sites for unlocked models, I know the prices go up, but I don't mind spending a bit extra if I find something nice.

if you don't mind spending the extra, go for the k750i sim free (399) or the 6680. can't be beaten at the mo. i've a 6680. i want it to have my babies and it has so much stuff i wouldn't be surprised if it could

Yeah the 6680 looks well nice, might pop into vodafone and see if they'll give me a play around with one. Not sure on the k750i yet...
    How do the buttons feel on the 6680 - they look even smaller than on the 6230, which can be anoying at times.

tbh they can be a bit annoying but i've got used to them by now. and putting tv shows on my phone and watching them on the train to college makes up for it. on most other phones, the screen is just too small to watch stuff properly

edit: when you said 6800, was that a typo of 6680, or did you actually mean this?

I agree about the buttons. They are a bit small but you get used to them. Plus the phone is very responsive so I can text really fast, lol.

I tried the Motorola V3x for the sake of larger buttons and it was a pain, its too sluggish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

gsmarena.com have a nifty phone finder, you can put all the things you crave into it and see what phones it spits out:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

I have a K750i myself and I'm very impressed, the camera on it is the best out there really, because Nokia or the others don't really make cameras aswell as mobiles, but Sony have the tech under their belt already!

http://www.meteor.ie/makethemove/w800i.html

349. Bargain. If it's like the bill pay version, it may even be unlocked.

Whoops! Typo - Fixed.
    The 6680 seems to be the one to go for, I just can't get over the price of it unlocked and unbranded. Even bought in the states it's a packet.

@Karsini, that's a big reason I don't wanna go for another Moto, when I got the v525 I was waiting a minute or so for it to catch up to me while texting.

I might just have to bend and get the vodafone 6680 - need info on getting rid of as much vodafone crap as possible.

[Edit] Been reading up on Vodafone's 6680 and it seems they disable a few options (like the GoTo menu) and some other things, while having screensavers and logos that require actual work to remove. Me being a lazy bastard can't stand that kinda work, means getting a cable as well I suppose. Looks like I'll have to splurge a good €400 on this one... the 'rents aren't gonna be happy. :-( I really like the idea of having video though, that'd be a great compliment to my entertainment on the bus/train.

If I don't go for the 6680 there was the 6260 in mind - but those soft buttons are definately in the wrong place and using the phone would probably get head wrecking very quick.

I'm not sold on the k750i - it's gonna cost me round about the same as the 6680, so I'd rather just get the nokia. Dammit I hate being a teenager!

I might just have to bend and get the vodafone 6680 - need info on getting rid of as much vodafone crap as possible.
    Buying it SIM free is an insane price. But you could get the Vodafone one, unlock it, get its firmware reflashed, and use different covers. It should still work out cheaper than SIM free I'd say.

To be honest, mate, I wouldn't go for a Nokia just because it's a Nokia. Sony Ericsson and Samsung are ahead of Nokia at the moment.

Karsini wrote:
    Buying it SIM free is an insane price. But you could get the Vodafone one, unlock it, get its firmware reflashed, and use different covers. It should still work out cheaper than SIM free I'd say.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that will Flash it, 'cause I really don't wanna send it off. I'd say the same people (if I do send it off) 'could unlock it as well. Then yeah, would just be a simple matter of buying a new cover. I don't see it being cheaper than €400 though.

chrislad wrote:
    To be honest, mate, I wouldn't go for a Nokia just because it's a Nokia. Sony Ericsson and Samsung are ahead of Nokia at the moment.

I'm not decided yet mate :) I'm also not goin for Nokia because "it's a Nokia" - the majority of my phones have been Nokia's so it's what I know. I might grab the k750i sim free from Meteor if I can.
    An about Samsung, what would you recommend, I've never used one of their phones and right now dunno what's good and what's not.

I had the Samsung D500. Nice, small phone. Very easy to use with a good 1.3 camera (with flash) and a 90meg internal memory.

The upgraded D600 has a 2.0 camera, and supports TransFlash memory cards.

You can't get the K750i sim free from Meteor. They don't sell raw pack anymore. Your best bet is to get the W800i on PaYG, as it's the same phone other than the updated software, bigger memory card and better headphones. Oh and the colour, which does grow on you, as I used to hate it, now I own the phone :)

Is there anywhere in Dublin that will Flash it, 'cause I really don't wanna send it off. I'd say the same people (if I do send it off) 'could unlock it as well. Then yeah, would just be a simple matter of buying a new cover. I don't see it being cheaper than €400 though.

i'm sure there is a place that'll flash it but only the networks can unlock a 6680. any website that says they have a code generator is lying and anyone that asks you to send it to them is stealing it

the phone comes with a dku-2 cable so you wouldn't have to go and buy one, unless you meant a flashing cable?

re: the 6260, the only nokia i've seen thats more awkward to use that the 6260 is the 7280, and thats uses an old dial telephone type interface

I just read a full review of the k750i and the W800. Both seem very impressive, and seeing as the W800 is the cheapest (as I'd have to buy the k750i sim free) I think I'll go for that.
    The only thing that swayed me is the fact that I'm a stupid teenager, and I'm gonna take gander at another brand. Hopefully a good nights sleep will deter me

The W800 can be flashed with the K750i firmware. They're the same phone.

What would that firmware offer me that the W800 doesn't though?

• Advertisement

What would that firmware offer me that the W800 doesn't though?
    afaik the only difference is with the w800 you can turn off the phone part and just use it as an mp3 player, like offline mode on the 6680. makes the battery last 5 times as long or something like that

There's no point in getting a K750i reflashed to a W800i if the W800i is cheaper. The W800i has better accessories with it.

Dammit! I hate Meteor! Went into their outlet in blanch today, and asked for the the w800 in PAYG... they said it's only for bill pay! Gonna have to check 3G or Carphone Warehouse later. What a way to ruin my day meteor... :P

Dob, they're wrong. It's on Pay As You Go. They probably haven't gotten stock yet. Try a bigger store like Henry St or Grafton St.

The woman was pretty sure that no meteor outlet would stock it in PAYG... I told her what the site said and she told me that the site advertiesed for CFW and 3G so to try them... will give another branch a ring when I get on my break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Meteor do have it on PAYG.

A few days ago I was in a Meteor store looking for a phone and they told me they don't stock it on PAYG at all.

I go into a different Meteor store and they tell me they definately have it.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Go with the Nokia 6230i, Its without a shadow of a doubt the best phone avalaible at the moment. O2 to have a offer at the moment for new bussiness customers and sole private trader wink wink nudge nudge. You can get it for E 29, with three months free line rental, up to 15,000 free minutes, a memory stick and a blue tooth. You can also trow a I gig memory card into it and use it as a mp 3 player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Meteor woman spoke out of her behind it would seem. I hate the way that their stores tell you different things.

So I called up meteor in Grafton street today and it turns out they're the only ones in Dublin that stock the w800i in PAYG. I'm still undecided on it though so will give it a few days and see what a bit more searching brings up.

• Advertisement

starn wrote:
    Go with the Nokia 6230i, Its without a shadow of a doubt the best phone avalaible at the moment. O2 to have a offer at the moment for new bussiness customers and sole private trader wink wink nudge nudge. You can get it for E 29, with three months free line rental, up to 15,000 free minutes, a memory stick and a blue tooth. You can also trow a I gig memory card into it and use it as a mp 3 player

eh.... no it's not
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6230i-1087.php
    compared to
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_k750-1090.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6680-1045.php
    both clearly better. the 6230i is a very good phone but not the best

you can throw a 2 gig card in it too, and you can get the phone free on an o2 contract

Advertisement