Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clio - Cant get it de-mobilised

Options
  • 08-01-2006 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is in a serious plunder.

Her car is currently in the garage. Last night a heap of keys were robbed from teh garage, hers included. Now, all that aside....

She has a spare key at home, but the transponder in the key has pbviously broke, because the car wont start with it. It will turn over, but wont start. I'm not familar with the Renault security system, but im guessing that the immoboliser just stops the spark, because as I said, the engine will turn over, just not start.

Does anyone know is there any other way of de-mobilising the car. I know on my Rover there is a code which you can enter (via the key, using the drivers door keyhole) to over-ride the immobiliser. Does anyone know if there is such a system on the Clio? It's a 01

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm not a renault expert, but i had a similar problem on a 97 Clio. you have to lock and unlock the car using the new key. then try to start the engine.

Failing that. ring a dealer. The garage the car was left into can't be fantastic if you're doing all the running. Also, you may need to get new locks etc. if your key has been stolen and the people who stole it know your reg number

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

colm_mcm wrote:
    The garage the car was left into can't be fantastic if you're doing all the running.
    Indeed. If the keys aren't recovered, the garage should replace all of her locks and her immobiliser system, and provide her with a car while it's being done. Their insurance should cover it all.

Anything less, and I'd personally take them to court to get back my costs. As colm says though, there's usually a system of programming a spare key so that it'll work with the immobiliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Was just talking to my friend (who owns the car). The mechanic is basicly an old man, a backyard mechanic, so to speak. He is a friend of my friends father, so they don't want to make a big deal about it. I doubt he even has insurance.

The object here isint trying to get the garage to sort it, its getting the car running tomorrow.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm not a renault expert, but i had a similar problem on a 97 Clio. you have to lock and unlock the car using the new key. then try to start the engine.

Failing that. ring a dealer. The garage the car was left into can't be fantastic if you're doing all the running. Also, you may need to get new locks etc. if your key has been stolen and the people who stole it know your reg number

Can you remember, with your clio, was there any over-ride code for the immoboliser?

seamus wrote:
    programming a spare key so that it'll work with the immobiliser.

Yeah we're well aware of that alright. We can bring it to a Renault garage, and they'll re-program the spare key. The problem is getting it started tomorrow, to get it to a Renault dealer in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yeah we're well aware of that alright. We can bring it to a Renault garage, and they'll re-program the spare key. The problem is getting it started tomorrow, to get it to a Renault dealer in the first place
    I have memories of reading my old Punto's manual, and there was a whole "put key in ignition, pump accelerator five times, press brake twice....." system that allowed you to program it without going to a garage. But I assume you've already read the manual.

seamus wrote:
    I have memories of reading my old Punto's manual, and there was a whole "put key in ignition, pump accelerator five times, press brake twice....." system that allowed you to program it without going to a garage. But I assume you've already read the manual.

The problem is she cant find the manual, typical :rolleyes:
    I'm getting the lend of one in the morning, and while it wont give me any over-ride code, I will be able to find out if there *is* one in the first place, then I guess if I go up with the Veichle Reg book the dealer might give me the code. Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

call renault garage to give you the security code. giving them as many details about the car - ex. reg number, - they might be able to help over the phone. it will unlock using the lock/unlock button for the central locking system.

louie wrote:
    call renault garage to give you the security code. giving them as many details about the car - ex. reg number, - they might be able to help over the phone. it will unlock using the lock/unlock button for the central locking system.

Louie - thanks for that. I'm just heading up to the car now, if I dont get anywhere ill take the chassis number etc. down and pop upto the dealer in the other car

Advertisement