Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rusty Rifle?

Options
  • 08-01-2006 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

was out shooting the other day, gun got wet, left it overnight, spots of rust, gave it a good rub and clean with oily rag. Still have rust spots. What is the best treatment to remove these rust spots?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If the rag won't shift it, use some fine steel wool and plenty of oil, rub it gently and the rust will be shifted fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

You could try one of the "Gun Blue" treatments .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

U would still need to remove the rust before applying that id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

does this rust mean the existing blueing is irreversably damaged? It was stupid to leave it overnight, I'd usually clean after an outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

No. If you're lucky there will still be bluing under the rust and once it's removed will look fine again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

As an aside ..

I was always told that after a shooting trip, Attend to the gun , before you attend to yourself. I.E. a quick wipe down with an oil cloth and clean the barrel while the kettle is boiling .

Even on dry days , the temp difference between a cold barrel can cause condensation

Advertisement