Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours renaming suggestion

Options
  • 08-01-2006 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭

Can the After Hours forum please be renamed to the more apt: Píssing Contest forum?
    Thank you.

Read below; but in short: this is aimed at particular threads in AH ..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I concur

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh, p1ssing you say?

excellent!

is it about length of p1ss or colour?

is this actually feedback, or are you trying to make a point?
    if so, please qualify...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

A little from column A and a little from Column B.

so youre not going to go that little bit extra and explain what your issue is?

surely you should have posted this in AH rather than here. you actually havent given any feedback.

Fair enough. I thought the issue was self-evident: pointless threads that contribute little and which are pretty much the equivelant of a píssing contest.
    Examples: What's your IQ, Footprints .. (Without reading or listing much of the first page)

The forum and associate guidelines are fair enough, and it draws a crowd... so,I'll leave all the other type of posts/activites in said forum alone.. However, this sort of thread is the result of muppets trying to increase their postcount and nothing else as far as I can see.

My suggestion is to remove the incentive..

• Advertisement

im not sure what you are getting at.
    are you unhappy at the threads themselves?
    are you unhappy at people posting on those threads?
    are you unhappy with the answers that people are putting on those threaeds?
    are you unhappy that people are getting credited with a post count on these threads?

what exactly makes them pointless in your eyes?

your suggestion is to remove what incentive? the additional post count?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Karoma wrote:
    My suggestion is to remove the incentive..
    What, make posts in AH not count? Doesn't seem to have done much for spamming in TCN :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Although i am finding this thread a little confusing (its the beer) i do feel that AH has gone south over the last few weeks/months.

indeed, you thought there was crap in AH, take a look in there.
    its a veritable sh1tstorm of oral scatology...

I personally don't see postcount as an incentive. But to the people who post clearly it is.

Not posts in AH per se, although a lot are questionable (Re: what they actually contribute in either intellectual or entertainment terms), I'm focussing on these threads. I'm unhappy with these threads: they contribute nothing.
    They never lead to an indepth or intelligent conversation. Example: The footprints thread - the idea of the site is to raise awareness of peoples impact on the environment... (leaving cynicism re: site aside..) the resulting AH thread is simply pages of posts smattering the result of their questionairre-filling-out-skillz...

Bump them to TCN or something... agreed re: spamming, but the aim would be to re-gain a handle on AH and actually have the occasional post worth reading..

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    I personally don't see postcount as an incentive. But to the people who post clearly it is.

well, youre clearly a more sensible person than many here.,
    Karoma wrote:
    Not posts in AH per se, although a lot are questionable (Re: what they actually contribute in either intellectual or entertainment terms), I'm focussing on these threads. I'm unhappy with these threads: they contribute nothing. .

so what?
    Karoma wrote:
    They never lead to an indepth or intelligent conversation. Example: The footprints thread - the idea of the site is to raise awareness of peoples impact on the environment... (leaving cynicism re: site aside..) the resulting AH thread is simply pages of posts smattering the result of their questionairre-filling-out-skillz.

why do you have aproblem with that. if you want to have a deep and meaningful discussion on the earths environment, go to the tree hugger forum, or even go to humanities. im sure you can have a debate in there.
    why are you so offended by a thread merely being a thread. it doesnt have to serve a purpose. it doesnt have to do anything. its just there.
    not evey post you read here is going to be philisophical. not ever post is a small gem, a golden nugget of thought that has been crafted over years of thought.
    face it, 90% of the posts on this site are crap. they are filler. but so what. why does that offend you so much?
    Karoma wrote:
    Bump them to TCN or something....

no
    Karoma wrote:
    agreed re: spamming, but the aim would be to re-gain a handle on AH and actually have the occasional post worth reading..

well, at the moment, the only arguement you have given is that AH is full of some posts you dont like becuase they dont give you the fullest opportunity to debate.

there is nothing to stop you from starting a discussion in a thread you know. or do you expect others to take up the guantlet and debate so that you can come and join in at any time you feel like it?

what do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We aren't running an old boys club here, it's ok to see something that doesn't lead onto meaningful and deep discussion. It can be actually be very relaxing to have a laugh at the wacky threads that always end up in After Hours.

Am I the only one at the opposite end of the stick? Like - by and large liking after hours the way it is? I don't post there all that often but its an entertaining section.

Fair enough. It's more a case of having to seperate wheat from chaffe in AH.
    I'm not arguing that everything must be debated to death, keeping in mind that the footprints thread is used as an example only, just that there should be some morsel of substance to the replies.

I would have argued that "interesting" in the charter is subjective.. or questioned "Does it add to the forum or is it another thread which is taking up space?" but as nobody else seems to take issue.. perhaps it is just me.. suggestion withdrawn.

well, i used to think that ah was full of crap and be annoyed by it.
    now i know ah is full of crap, and it doesnt bother me.

there is nothing wrong with having rubbish talk.
    there is nothing wrong with having somewhere to post up rediculous links, no matter how often they have been posted before.
    there really is nothing wrong with having stupid polls about the size of peoples feet.
    theres nothing wrong with just wanting to post without thinking about it.
    theres nothing wrong with wandering off topic in a thread thats going nowhere anyway.

if someone has a problem with the way it is, id like to know why they have a problem with it, and why it should be changed, and how it should be changed.
    i dont for one minute entertain this 'i hate ah, it sucks and all the posts suck' kind of arguement...

Karoma wrote:
    Fair enough. It's more a case of having to seperate wheat from chaffe in AH..

but isnt finding those little gems among the mud just make you glow with delight inside?
    Karoma wrote:
    I'm not arguing that everything must be debated to death, keeping in mind that the footprints thread is used as an example only, just that there should be some morsel of substance to the replies.

you keep saying that.

i keep asking why.....

WHY?

Karoma wrote:
    I would have argued that "interesting" in the charter is subjective.. or questioned "Does it add to the forum or is it another thread which is taking up space?" but as nobody else seems to take issue.. perhaps it is just me.. suggestion withdrawn.

thats cheap. i for one still want to know exactly what the problem is. so many people have a problem with AH, and yet, when asked about it, it all comes down to 'i think its full of crap' and very little else.

if you have valid points on something, the moderators will take it on board. they are not ogres.
    but if you just say that you dont like it, then youre not really adding to the debate are you (kind of ironic, considering what youre posting :)))?

one thing i dont like is people who complain about something, yet are not willing to explain what it is, or to give a suitable suggestion for corrective action.

help us to help you. thats all im saying.

And it's ironic that you think there should be some substance to my post? :p
    but isnt finding those little gems among the mud just make you glow with delight inside?
    Now, that's cheap. It's not worth the effort some days to find those little gems.
    OK- again - clearly, I hope: I'm leaving aside the usual threads in AH. This is focussing on theese specific types of thread.
    The volume of these threads, and the fact that so many people can and will reply frequently ensures that these stay at the top.
    I have no problem with "rubbish talk" or O.T. (Do a search and you'll see the evidence) - they can at least be sconversational and entertaining. The type of thread which I'm looking at is simply page upon page of one word or number answers...

And, again, if you see no problem with that - then, fine. I really cannot see anything further to add that would change your mind and have wasted more than enough time on it. You cannot seem to see this as anything more than a moan after the general AH theme - which I had hoped I had clarified from posts after the original it was not.

Karoma wrote:
    The volume of these threads, and the fact that so many people can and will reply frequently ensures that these stay at the top..

so you say these threads that you dont like, are very popular, have a lot of activity, are the very ones you dont like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

seamus wrote:
    Doesn't seem to have done much for spamming in TCN :)

I agree with Seamus, merge AH and TCN.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

damien.m wrote:
    I agree with Seamus, merge AH and TCN.
    motion thirded :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Although i am finding this thread a little confusing (its the beer) i do feel that AH has gone south over the last few weeks/months.

I agree, it doesnt seem like the place it used to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

TBH boards has changed a bit reacently IMO.
    A lot more nastly comments and personal insults flying about the place.
    Thunderdome threads being the perfect example. I got so pissed off at some people that i had myself banned from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

You only reg'ed in June last....imagine how much boards has changed for the february 1998 boyos?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Heh very true!! But exactly my point I aint been here a wet weekend and ive noticed changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Call it GNU/After Hours.....

ooops...sorry, wrong thread...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Some threads in TCN are shíte, some are utter genius. It is quite a different forum to After Hours, with a very different feel, and a different set of regulars altogether. I don't think they should be joined.

After Hours is what it is, namely, a festering pile of angry twaddle. You know what? That's fine. Just leave it be in it's own special meld of controversial and mundane views. Go to other fora instead. Some threads in AH are brilliant, and their brilliance is thrown into relief by the threads that surround it, like a rose growing from a big black bucket of horse shíte. People have been complaining about the crappitude of AH for like, the last 100 years or something, it's hardly 'news' that the postcount ++ brigade come out for every "OMg wats ur shoe size?" thread. Who cares if they garner massive postcounts? Let them entertain themselves.

Advertisement