Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVRs in Ireland

• 09-01-2006 2:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a PVR in ireland, I could get one in england but they're all Freeview and Ireland not having Freeview might cause problems.

Anyone got on or know someone who does, I need recommendations.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Freeview is obviously out, it's a digital terrestrial format not available here:

If you want anything TV related be very careful with buying products in the UK. UK TV is broadcast over a narrower range than here and many UK products' tuners are not capable of tuning in all channels here.

Options

There are many Hard disk recorders available now, will tune in cable analog channels and other terrestrial TV but may have problems changing channels on a cable or satellite box. Also no EPG.

MCE2005 - Needs a PC, nice interface can record off most cable/satellite boxes and terrestrial TV. Has an EPG, but needs some playing with to get right.

FreeSat sat boxes - As BBC and ITV are FTA it's possible to get a sat box which can record to an internal HDD. No EPG, but BBC/ITV will probably be putting together a "platform" this year.

Sky+ - They come and install it for next to nothing, it works (barring the usual glitches), full EPG, easy to use. No C4, also no recording from ITV nad BBC3/BBC4. Unless you subscibe to premium Sky(movies or Sport) you have to pay a monthly fee for Sky+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'd like something like the Sky+ box but without the need for a subscription. Its for my grandfather as a present, we have NTL which does him fine, just need a better method to record TV than the VCR.

Can you suggest any make/model or maybe a good electronics shop I could look at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

only thing without a subscription that I know of are Media Center and Media Portal.

Media Portal is free, Media Center is a fully fledged version of XP Pro with Media Center on top for almost the same price, so price for the OS is not really an issue.

The Media Center UI is absolutely top notch and your grandad would have no problems using it, but buying a fully fledged PC just for a PVR for one person sounds like overkill. If theres more potential users an xbox 360 as an Extender with the Media Center PC being used in another room for normal PC purposes might be more suitable. Otherwise Sky+ looks like your best bet

Advertisement