Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On NTL Broadband. The net doesn't know I'm Ireland based!!

• 09-01-2006 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Huh, just went to eircom.net to get the dial up details for 56k dialup, for a friend of course since I'm on NTL myself.
    Anyway when i clicked 'Get connected' got a message saying:
    eircom.net wrote:
    Access to the eircom.net autoregistration server is limited to Irish networks.

And i've notice on some of those spy sigs:cool: you guys have it says im on 'ntl.com', i used to get 'eircom.net' when i was paying a bomb to eircom.

So where does the net think im based now i have ntl? UK?
    Oh and has anyone got the eircom 56k dialup info, ie. number, username, password?.. I can't remember.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Go to www.internetfrog.com. It should be able to give you some info on where you're at.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lkman wrote:
    Huh, just went to eircom.net to get the dial up details for 56k dialup, for a friend of course since I'm on NTL myself.

And i've notice on some of those spy sigs:cool: you guys have it says im on 'ntl.com', i used to get 'eircom.net' when i was paying a bomb to eircom.

Oh and has anyone got the eircom 56k dialup info, ie. number, username, password?.. I can't remember.

If its any consolation its the same for Smart customers trying to access some parts of the site too.

Had no problem getting this though:

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=16&E=0000000000007630630&K=2521&Sxi=12&Case=obj(813)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lkman

sturgo wrote:
    Go to www.internetfrog.com. It should be able to give you some info on where you're at.
    LOL... i got nothing... no picture for location, no long. lat., no connect from, and no org... just my ip addy.:confused:

Thats odd. Although i did go to that new movie site vongo.com, and it said i wasn't american user eirther..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

NTL pipe all their traffic back to their network in the uk before it gets out onto external networks.

Yep. Just installed a ip finder widget and it says im in the UK... doesn't seem right tho.
    Maybe there's some perks to this, but i'd rather be acknowledged to be from where i really am based (ie. dublin ireland).:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Yeah I agree, but seeing as NTL Ireland and NTL UK are now two different companys, shouldn't we be seperated or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Asok wrote:
    NTL pipe all their traffic back to their network in the uk before it gets out onto external networks.
    not anymore. run a trace to heanet and you'll see that it stays in ireland.

what i presume is the problem is that our ip addresses are also written as *.dbln.cable.ntl.com. some websites might just read ntl.com, where as others (like google) will notice the dbln. i've noticed on dc that some hubs will give you a country code of gb and others ie, so i'm assuming that it depends on if the dbln is read or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

carrotcake wrote:
    not anymore. run a trace to heanet and you'll see that it stays in ireland.

what i presume is the problem is that our ip addresses are also written as *.dbln.cable.ntl.com. some websites might just read ntl.com, where as others (like google) will notice the dbln. i've noticed on dc that some hubs will give you a country code of gb and others ie, so i'm assuming that it depends on if the dbln is read or not

The reason a tracert to heanet doesnt leave the country is due to ntl peering with inex whom heanet also peer with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i don't know anything about inex, but running a tracert used to bring you to england and back. the same for pinging www.boards.ie and www.eircom.net so there's been some improvement at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

lkman wrote:

By Irish networks, Eircom mean their network only e.g. 159.134.x.x
    If you are not on an Eircom IP, you can not access these services on Eircoms pages like uploading your webpages etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yeah I agree, but seeing as NTL Ireland and NTL UK are now two different companys, shouldn't we be seperated or something.

Well presumably the link with NTL UK will be broken when Liberty get themselves fully up and running - they must have some sort of transition arrangement in place to keep the service going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

INEX Rules :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

lkman wrote:

I used to get the same when I was on UTV BB.
    BTW, the Eircom PAYG dialup number is 1892150150
    Username/password can be anything you like.

thanks kaizersoze.

Liberty... is that the company that took over NTL?
    Yeah i'm assuming there will be some sort of transition where some things (the sort we'll notice) will be changing.

Thanks all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

carrotcake wrote:
    i don't know anything about inex, but running a tracert used to bring you to england and back. the same for pinging www.boards.ie and www.eircom.net so there's been some improvement at least

There is actually a good story about NTL behind this.

I posted about NTL not going through INEX here on boards a while back.

A NTL engineer (no longer with NTL ;) read my post here on boards and had it sorted within 24 hours. I was very impressed with that level of customer support :cool:

It is a pity that non of the current NTL engineers post here.

Advertisement