Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halogen Lamps and Insulation

Options
  • 09-01-2006 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Laying attic insulation at the moment and have a number of halogen lights protruding into the attic. Do I need to cut the insulation around these, as I presume they would be a fire hazard.

ta,

Pat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

yes, you do. if you still have the leaflet that came with the light fittings, it should give exact details, but i think you usually need at least 2 inches of clear space all around the fitting. if they are low voltage (elv) the transformer needs to be clear of insulation also.

you could also consider putting firehoods over the lights...
    http://www.intalite.co.uk/down/html/fitting/firehood.htm

or change to snaplites, which you can cover with insulation.
    www.snaplite.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A cheap way of dissipating heat is to use old Roses or biscuit tins these are pretty effective at getting rid of heat safely.
    or make some out of Scrap slab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

or clay flower pots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Thank's for the ideas lads. Have to have a look around and see what I've got to cover them.

Advertisement