Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleeping problems

• 09-01-2006 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

For the last week I haven't been able to sleep properly; I could be an insomniac (if there is such a thing). Does anyone know any great ways to help you sleep better. I have tried sleeping on the other end of my bed, I gave up coffee, I try to read incedibly boring books. Please advise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Couple of suggestions, I picked up from mags and articles...

Apparently you get into a vicious cycle of associating your bed with sleeplessness. ( from Psychology Today article at one stage )

- Remove any TVs, computers, games consoles from the bedroom. That just gives you a mental association with being alert in that room.
    Do you have a spare room in your house to try another bed, that might break the cycle enough to return to own bedroom.
    - Heating, apparently we sleep a bit better if we cool down slightly.
    So turn off the central heating during your sleeping hours.
    - Warm milk, has chemicals which give a relaxed feel-good factor, promotes sleep.
    - avoid exciting TV programs
    - aim for at least 8 hours sleep
    - on the weekend try to get up around the same time, otherwise you're messing with your sleep pattern 2/7 of the time.

That's all the lazy options, then there's the usual "exercise" recommendations.
    For stress, maybe try sorting things out in your head before sleep, eg. write down everything in a diary to basically unload your worries to paper.

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Could just be after Xmas and the holidays, all the late nights and lie in's. Your body gets used to going to sleep at 1 or 2 am. Last week was my first back in work and i couldnt sleep till about 1 every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ditto here.
    was working nights all over christmas and since coming back to college for exams, i'm finding myself sleeping in till midday yet only getting 3-4 hours sleep regardless of what time I go to bed at.

long as I wake for my exams..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

What's your diet like? Dollars to donuts says your low in zinc and magnesium. Supplement with ZMa before bed for better sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Years ago the uncle went to see his doctor about sleeping problems, the doctor replied that in 30 years he never had a patient die from lack of sleep.

What is needed is a good sleep routine. One thing you can try is the herb valerian, go into any chemist, its the main ingredient in all the herbal sleeping pills.

If you have a problem 'switching off' your mind, check out http://www.easyrelaxation.com but note this is one of my sites. I came accross this device when i had problems sleeping, it worked wonders so i imported some in from the manufactor in the US to sell into the irish market. I don't want to be accused of pimping, so try the herb/relaxation route first.

There is a temptation to use alcohol, but this will affect the quality of your sleep. Mind you one of two drinks can be enough to knock you over, eg a bottle of beer, hot whiskey etc, but don't get into a habit of using drink - it will all end in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Lady_Macbeth

I have considerably the reversal of this problem; I can't stay awake. I could sleep all day and then again all night, no problem. From the advice I've been told about sleeping properly, it's probably worthwhile for you also.

Healthy eating is pivotal to sleep; make sure you're getting right amounts of fruit and veg.

Make sure you have a regular sleeping pattern; say for example get up every day at around the same time and go to bed around the same time; and no naps during the day (maybe that one's just for me!) - but say if you've had a bad night's sleep, and you're wrecked by 3/4pm the following day, don't take a nap - wait until bedtime that night.

Avoid food, but especially toxins (eg coffee, tea, alcohol, etc.) in the couple of hours before you go to bed, as these require digestion and will keep you awake.

If you want to try them, there are quite a few natural remedies available in healthfood shops that assist in sleeping, if you don't want traditional sleeping medication.

Best of luck,
    - Lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Nice quiet room, clean bedsheets, warm bath just before you go to bed and a few drops of lavender on you pillow. Mmmmmm I’m falling asleep now just thinking about it. But seriously, try it. I find it sends me right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I have considerably the reversal of this problem; I can't stay awake. I could sleep all day and then again all night, no problem. From the advice I've been told about sleeping properly, it's probably worthwhile for you also.

You may not be getting quality sleep.
    - if your environment is noisy and you're easily woken
    - if you're overweight, then "sleep apnoea" is a possibility, where your airway gets blocked when your throat relaxes. You actually suffocate in your sleep and your brain wakes you up enough to breathe but not enough to remember.
    So you never get a proper nights sleep.

regards,
    Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Lady_Macbeth

OMcGovern wrote:
    You may not be getting quality sleep.
    - if your environment is noisy and you're easily woken
    - if you're overweight, then "sleep apnoea" is a possibility, where your airway gets blocked when your throat relaxes. You actually suffocate in your sleep and your brain wakes you up enough to breathe but not enough to remember.
    So you never get a proper nights sleep.

regards,
    Owen

Owen, thanks for the advice. It's actually as a result of some medication that I'm on which results in constant tiredness; as I have to be on this long-term and there's no alternative. I just have to make sure that everything else supports normal sleeping and combats tiredness, such as eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg and trying to keep active. thanks for your contribution though.

- Lady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Kiera wrote:
    a few drops of lavender on your pillow.

I had a similar problem a few years ago and this did the trick. It was terrible part in my life. I was working shift hours for 2 weeks at a time, back to day shifts for 2 weeks, then shift hours for 2 more weeks and so on. This went on for about 4 months.
    I was sleeping normally through all this but when I went back to working 9-5, I suffered terribly from insomnia. I'd only get about 3 hours sleep over 3 nights, say. At the weekends I'd get a bit more. I was trying herbal remedies, nitol (which I had to get sent over from England) etc. After a few weeks I went to the doc. She prescribed some sleeping tablets. But at this stage, like OMcGovern said, I had began to associate my bed with sleepless nights. None of the remedies/tablets worked. I was almost immune to them. The more I tried to force myself to sleep, the more I'd got aggitated, the more I couldn't sleep.
    Then it all changed. I had also changed my diet and began eating lots of fruit and veg, fish and cutting out fatty foods, resticting carbs etc. I started walking for a half hour in the evenings (just to clear the head after a days work) and dropping lavender oil on my pillow before bedtime!! My whole frame of thought began to change and I began to associate a good nights sleep with the scent of lavender!
    Now it only take me about 5 minutes to get to sleep! And I can nearly sleep anytime and anywhere at the drop of a hat!!
    My heart goes out to you though, but this should only be temporary for ye. Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement