Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

SIM Card reader ......

• 09-01-2006 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

Is this a good idea? ..... (not come across it before) .....
    USB SIM Card Reader
    Reads and edits GSM phone SIM cards the fast and easy way. Simply plug into the USB port of your PC.
     Compatible with Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
     USB 1.1 Full Speed
     Supports Plug & Play and Hot Swapping
     Transmission speed: 9,600 - 115,200bps
     CD with SIM Secretary software

8042734343bbf4274b3c7.jpg

It's priced at euros 12.99 .... :confused:

Would it work ok with later higher versions of USB? (all-be-it at the slower 1.1 speed) ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I'd say it'd do fine - that's the one Aldi or Lidl are doing isn't it?
    USB 1.1 is backwards compatible with 2.0 and visa-versa, but consdiering the tiny amount of memory most SIM cards have the slow speeds won't be much of an issue.
    I think I'm gonna pick one up as there are 5 phones in the family that could do with this and it's a fairly decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

That is a VERY EXSPENSIVE sim reader. Try Totterdell commuications in Bray. Ther number is 01 2761553. I'am sure they could sort you out with something similar buy cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

that's the one Aldi or Lidl are doing isn't it?

yep ..... it's on sale this thursday at ALDI ..... mind you, if it's any good I suspect it will sell out very quickly, knowing ALDI special sales .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Yupp, there'll be a huge que about an hour before the place opens. Dunno if it's worth waiting in that sort of a que for. I'm sure you could get it off the net for 'round about the same price.

had a look around and there are similar Dongle type units available on the web .... some sites emphasize 'not for use on 3G' sims! :eek: .....

Does the Sim card actually fit into the Dongle? .... are all Sims cards the same size? .... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

All simcards are the same size ... but some 3G sims are locked in such a way that they won't work (I know Three's sims won't work in most sim readers).

If you need it, it's not a bad price ... and they're generally pretty simple to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Can it be used to transfer addresses from one sim to another. And also can the details be stored on the computer as a backup?

Thanks

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Generally it's just names and phone numbers on the simcard. The phone usually stores any additional fields like email address, alternative numbers, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

O2 do a similar that will back up your numbers for €15.

https://shop.o2.ie/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1496&cPath=24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are there any readers that will read 3 sims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Heres a 3 sim one. Keyboard and all.

http://www.lazyboneuk.com/store/pro145.html

We estimate that it would take the average person 7 hours 34 mins to re-enter all their telephone numbers and appointments into a new mobile phone sim card.

blimey .... think I need a few more buddies ....:(

http://www.lazyboneuk.com/store/pro145.html

that's a nice looking unit for less than 22.00 euro ...:)

Advertisement