Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They worked like blacks-Mary O'Rourke

Options
  • 08-01-2006 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else saw the nine o’clock news this evening on RTE one. There was a report on the Fianna Fáil election convention in Mullingar. Mary O’Rourke was chosen as the party candidate for Westmeath constituency in the next General Election.

During her speech which was shown on RTE news, she thanked her staff who, in her words, “worked like blacks”.

Really, the leader of the Seanad, stated that her staff “worked like blacks”. After her speech she was asked about her statement and she just shrugged it off.

I had a look at the RTE website and it only stated that she had been chosen, no mention of the comment.

I was amazed when I heard this comment being made by such a prominent politician. Is this a resignation issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Yeah i seen it too. I'm glad to see she was booed.
    I hope that hurts her in the election whenever it comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I think it's hilarious. It's incredible she's so stupid.

If she does resign, it's the shortest tenure ever!

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Dampsquid wrote:
    Yeah i seen it too. I'm glad to see she was booed.
    I hope that hurts her in the election whenever it comes around.

She was booed, but I don't think she realised why? Is she really that stupid.

When she was questioned she didn't appear to know what the problem was. That woman has gone way down in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

off with her head:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

tha alzeimers setting in in the old dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mary just fell into the culture gap!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

She has always been good for a mis-placed comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Did anyone who objected to it here *not* understand what she meant *exactly*? Beneath the sheening gleam of political correctness?

/devils advocate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Considering Conor Lenihan is still creeping around Dail Eireann I can't imagine anything actually happening to Mary (hmm if only there was some connection between the 2).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is of course! (or did you already know that ;) )

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

When she was questioned she didn't appear to know what the problem was. That woman has gone way down in my estimation.

She was up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Did anyone who objected to it here *not* understand what she meant *exactly*? Beneath the sheening gleam of political correctness?

/devils advocate

yeah .. she was knackered

/devils advocate
    It'd probably be hard to find a 68 year old irish person who doesn't use that phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It think everyone knows exactly what she meant and I certainly wouldn't take any offence from it. That said it was just stupid thing for someone to say when they have been involved in politics at a high level, making speeches and dealing with the media for so long. I find it amusing but not particularly surprising that she was caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What did it mean?.... her staff worked like slaves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

my old irish language teacher back in 1995 use'd to say something along the lines of "like a n1gger in a coal hole" ,never found out what he meant but it was funny because we had a colored lad in the class

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its a political blunders, shes just alienated voters for no good reason other than her own lack of cop on. TBH, shes a class of politician that should have been retired years, if not decades ago. Apparently shes waging some bitter vendetta against the TD who took her seat last time out. Pathetic.

Like Zod said, we all use phrases like "knackered" that arent politically correct. But then were not all running for election and expected to be holier than thou.

my old irish language teacher back in 1995 use'd to say something along the lines of "like a ****** in a coal hole" ,never found out what he meant but it was funny because we had a colored lad in the class

in the woodpile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Sand wrote:
    Its a political blunders, shes just alienated voters for no good reason other than her own lack of cop on. TBH, shes a class of politician that should have been retired years, if not decades ago. Apparently shes waging some bitter vendetta against the TD who took her seat last time out. Pathetic.

Like Zod said, we all use phrases like "knackered" that arent politically correct. But then were not all running for election and expected to be holier than thou.

From a political family that should have been retired years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

What's wrong with what she said? It's a common expression, used to describe people who work harder than normal.

Honestly, Ireland has become so PC it's farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

What's wrong with what she said? It's a common expression, used to describe people who work harder than normal.

Honestly, Ireland has become so PC it's farcical.

True, its not the crime of the century to be non-PC - its hardly like she demanded lebensraum in Connaught and the forced neutering of illegal imigrants, but O' Rourkes a fool to begin with. I cant see anyone lining up to waste time and effort defending her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Sand wrote:
    Its a political blunders, shes just alienated voters for no good reason other than her own lack of cop on.

Is it possible that statement may have been made deliberately? Go after the xenophobic vote?

Isn't she related to Conor Lenehan who made the "kebab" comment earlier this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Whats more disturbing is she was nominated to run , its a bad sign for politics in this country if there was no other suitable candidates than her

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

She has always been good for a mis-placed comment.

Didn't good auld Mary once tell Morning Ireland that she was in the bath when she heard about the head of CIE or some semi-state transport sham resigning?

Talk about an image to leave you coughing up your corn flakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

smarty wrote:
    Is she really that stupid. When she was questioned she didn't appear to know what the problem was. That woman has gone way down in my estimation.

Well, time to wake up then!

Mary, like many politicians, are well past their best before date. And its not the first of the Lenihan clan to put their foot in it.

To be fair to her, you must remember that what she came out with was a saying that was widely used in Ireland, Britain and elsewhere without consternation for many years, and when she was brought up. So, for many people of her age-group, it is something that they would have heard used, and used themselves, in the same way that we might say today "smoking like a trooper", or as "drunk as a skunk", both of which are derogatory to the military and to skunk fans.

A complete mess though for her. However, like this and other issues, she will be completely oblivious, will try to get past it as much as she can, etc, and will plough on regardless.

I dont think she is racist by the way, but she is old-school, and old-school habits die hard.

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

meldrew wrote:
    Whats more disturbing is she was nominated to run , its a bad sign for politics in this country if there was no other suitable candidates than her
    She had the FF nomination last general election too but Donie Cassidy (also FF) got in before her. I can't imagine FF will leave Cassidy out this time so she may not get in again. Will be interesting to see will she get her cushy Seanad number then again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Political correctness is really going overboard in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

damienom wrote:
    Didn't good auld Mary once tell Morning Ireland that she was in the bath when she heard about the head of CIE or some semi-state transport sham resigning?
    Aye, she was black from working at the time so she needed a good ole scrub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I can sympathise that it's terminology that was once fairly common, and didn't have the same meaning it does today... But that was a ****ing stupid thing to say no matter how you try and justify it!
    Flex wrote:
    Political correctness is really going overboard in this country

Normally, I'd agree with you, but for a politician not to be sensitive to what is certainly offensive, well that's just digging your own grave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement