Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They worked like blacks-Mary O'Rourke

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was having lunch with my 70+ year old granny in a pub when she suddenly said "there are a lot more darkies around these days".
    She is a very nice loving person. She is just from a different age - like the senator.
    She ment it as a compliment. She is from an age when that was acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

She ment it as a compliment.

who to? (out of interest, not trolling)

caimin wrote:
    who to? (out of interest, not trolling)

She was talking about her election team. Basically its an old way of saying steller, champion, dedicated work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

She was talking about her election team. Basically its an old way of saying steller, champion, dedicated work.

ohhh right. I thought you were saying your granny meant "there are a lot more darkies around these days" as a compliment!!

Interesting Fact. This comment apparently predates blacks in Ireland. I am told it refers to miners not black people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

got any citation for this? someone said that earlier on the thread, but most everyone seems to agree that it's not true.

got any citation for this? someone said that earlier on the thread, but most everyone seems to agree that it's not true.

All my sources are too old for the internet (granny and other 70+ year olds)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Really? My dad is 70 this year and has ben using the net for quite a while. And he has (ex-)colleagues that are older and use it as well..
    anyway..continue..sir..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Your never too old, I personally know a 85 year old who emails her sister in austraila daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 arkle8

If blacks don't like it here let them go back to Africa. We didnt ask them to come here (illegally of course)

• Advertisement

dbnavan wrote:
    Your never too old, I personally know a 85 year old who emails her sister in austraila daily.

Old and from the country. She can't work a video recorder. She talks to answering machines as if they were people:D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Funny this thread is here, I just got a phonecall in the last 5 minutes from an 80 yearold woman who wants lessons on a computer she just bought! I couldnt have made it up if i tried, thought of this thread straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 clonycavanman

African origin is itself a vague term when geneticists have worked out that we are all from Africa in the first place. In my youth of course we spoke only of the fir gorma; and I can never remember anyone taking the slightest offence; except some woad covered Britons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement