Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified Cars

Options
  • 09-01-2006 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Anyone else in here annoyed at the junior minster for transport decision to try ban modified cars. I have a BMW 316i with lexus lights, angel eye head lights, lowered, a 4 inch wide exhaust (not loud tough), subwoofer and amp in boot. according to the minister's decision i'll have to remove the lights, exhaust etc. i believe this is unfair as i dont race around the city like a lunatic and i've also noticed that people with done up cars take care of them more than more users, eg when brakes start to wear there replaced but not with normal brakes usally with a sports brake package which actually makes the car safer. I mean i wanted a bmw 316 since i was 12, saw one and fell in love with them so after 2 years of driving i borrowed money to buy one and get the modifcations done, so if the new law is inacted i'll just have to sell my car :mad: i mean tinted windows, lexus lights etc dont do anything to increase the speed or preformance of a car. Anyone Else think its a stupid idea?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I think it's a fantastic idea.. probably won't happen but a great idea all the same. Sure its going to hurt a few people like yourself but think of all the utter heaps of **** it's going to take off the roads! Never again will a driver have to bear witness to a bright orange fiesta with cheap mods up to the hilt racing up behind them with some burberry twat behind the wheel... No offence to you of course, I'm sure your BMW isn't bright orange with cheap plastic bits glued on...

If only Ivor Callely hadn't em "resigned" recently it might have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Cochise wrote:
    I have a BMW 316i with lexus lights, angel eye head lights, lowered, a 4 inch wide exhaust (not loud tough), subwoofer and amp in boot.
    Cochise wrote:
    I mean i wanted a bmw 316 since i was 12, saw one and fell in love with them .....

if you've wanted a BMW since you were 12 - why did you destroy it by making all the changes?? why not like a car for what it is?? what benefit is it to have it lower? why did it need a 4" exhaust? I don't understand why you needed to soup the car up, obviously it wasn't a BMW you wanted at all, but a BMW with lexus lights and other stuff that BMW don't have on their standard car....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

if you've wanted a BMW since you were 12 - why did you destroy it by making all the changes?? why not like a car for what it is?? what benefit is it to have it lower? why did it need a 4" exhaust? I don't understand why you needed to soup the car up, obviously it wasn't a BMW you wanted at all, but a BMW with lexus lights and other stuff that BMW don't have on their standard car....

Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Cochise wrote:
    i mean tinted windows, lexus lights etc dont do anything to increase the speed or preformance of a car. Anyone Else think its a stupid idea?????

Yes tinting your windows is a stupid idea. In some cases it can be dangerous and reduce driver visability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

homah_7ft wrote:
    Yes tinting your windows is a stupid idea. In some cases it can be dangerous and reduce driver visability.
    In some cases it will protect your laptop from being stolen. I think its a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

To be honest with ya Cochise, Lexus lights are made for the Toyota Lexus & look ridiculous on any other car.

I do agree some cars can be (pimped) nicely as in interior, sound systems etc.

But as for bright colours on cars like orange/black, eluminous green no thanks hurts my eyes!!

And for those feckin blue lights what the hell???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I also have a Bmw 3 Series Have always wanted one... But i wouldnt dream of doing it up. Bmw are not made to be "Done up" They Destroy it.....Lexus lights on a Bmw are a Def no no. Sports Exhaust Def no no.. Sounds System is alright. But i Would agree with the Ban in Certain Aspects....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

why do you need make up on your face??!!

damn junior minister , i hate him already and im not even from cork.
    my bet would be that he's only doing this to get some publicty 'Ivor Calley' stylee.
    What an idiot

C_Breeze wrote:
    why do you need make up on your face??!!
    yes, I do wear make up, but not the YOU'VE BEEN TANGO'D look... there's a difference between subtle enhancements and just making yourself look ridiculous... same goes for a car, don't try that argument with me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Angels wrote:
    To be honest with ya Cochise, Lexus lights are made for the Toyota Lexus & look ridiculous on any other car.
    I agree. Except in very rare cases, they look complete tat.
    But as for bright colours on cars like orange/black, eluminous green no thanks hurts my eyes!!
    It's nothing to do with the colour, it's what they're applied to. There's a bright yellow SEAT Leon around town that works because whoever kitted it did a great job, with clean lines and no Max Poweh junk tacked on, for example.
    And for those feckin blue lights what the hell???
    You mean the windscreen washer ones? Ridiculous. What is the point?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

The junior minister isn't banning those kind of mods!!!! The initial plan was to ban very dark tinted windows and very loud exhausts!!! (For obvious reasons!) However the junior minister has now resigned and the whole idea was done away with!!
    The rumours just caught on and people got carried away thinking everything was going to be banned!!! So I wouldnt go ripping my lexus lights out if I were you!!! :rolleyes:

So I wouldnt go ripping my lexus lights out if I were you!!! :rolleyes:

I would

I would

Well each to their own! Some people have their cars done up very nice! It's a hobby for most people, a lot of these people don't drink or smoke but just love doing things to their cars! If thats what they like then leave them be as long as they aren't doing any harm!
    So its not right that people are saying this should be banned! Its like me saying that goths should be banned from wearing black clothes because I don't like black!! :rolleyes:

Yeah some people do put money into there cars and they look very nice no one is disagreeing with you there but there is another type of Boy racers Which think they are "Cool" With Gammy looking cars , drive to fast , music blaring, And Reving there engine.......Its all a matter of taste. But there is a difference in Modified cars and Wannabe Cars.

Another question why is this in the Cork Forum anyhow....

Yeah some people do put money into there cars and they look very nice no one is disagreeing with you there but there is another type of Boy racers Which think they are "Cool" With Gammy looking cars , drive to fast , music blaring, And Reving there engine.......Its all a matter of taste. But there is a difference in Modified cars and Wannabe Cars.

Another question why is this in the Cork Forum anyhow....

Yep totally agree!!

I was going to say that aswell... there was a post on this already in the modified motors section!!

Ya agree somewhat though because we are stereotyped, Like i am 20 i drive a Bmw so what a car is a car it gets you from A - B and C on the weekends dont matter if it is a Ferrari or a Fiesta they do the same thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Boy racers Which think they are "Cool" With Gammy looking cars , drive to fast , music blaring, And Reving there engine.

Nobody would care about a properly modified car but so many of these **** are going around being anti-social in their cars that everybody with a 'modified' car gets tarred with the same brush. You'd have to a complete twit to install mods that are clearly dangerous (severly tinted windows or brake lights), but there's always some idiot that needs protecting from himself. There's no need for new legislation though; under existing legislation just about every car on the road, 'modified' or not, is not road legal.

A proper petrol-head should be allowed do whatever they like to a car providing it doesn't make it unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

i like cars "done up" tastefully...not knackery or anything..theres a line lik..alos depends on the type of car aswell..

hate when i see lboy racers(well they think they are anyway!) goin around in whatever colour puntos/corsa's with big aeroplane spoilers on them and massive exhausts...im like "omg, how embarssing for u"...like infairness would ya!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cochise

Thanx all for your replies :) . To answer someones question, this is in the cork fourm because im from and cork and wanted to c what cork people thought. i totally agree with some boy racer cars are gammy peices of crap, i mean if im driving i might do 35mph on a normal road like the western road or maybe 70mph on the link but normally no more than that.

DanPowerHouse: The lexus lights are not the ****ty ones with the 3 bulbs theses ones i ordered from the states there a big round red brake light with a small orange circle in the center for the indictor and a glass sorround the big red circle. there more sutile than the boy racer lexus lights that stand out a mile at the back of the car.

Also DanPowerHouse; U as obessed as i am with BMW's?????????:D

Cochise wrote:
    Also DanPowerHouse; U as obessed as i am with BMW's?????????:D

Prob a Bit more obessed tbh honest wouldnt drive anything else. I am on the market for a 01 e46 at the moment when i get the money together....

And by the time i am 30 I WILL own a Bmw M3 CL
    http://bmw_m.turboblog.fr/photos/uncategorized/photo_022.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cochise

Dont change from an e36 there the best car ever use the money instead to get a 3.2 M3 Engine Dropped Into the e36.

U Dont happen to know where to pick up a power disturbition block for about €50 in cork city or suburbs as i am trying to clean up my car wiring as its getting out of hand, or if u know anyone that would know i'd be greatful, thanx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

I think the suggested banning was to do more with safety and hearing reasons rather than the look of the car.

I do agree that some of the cars can be excessive with darkened windows etc and may cause some safety issues. Surely nobody objects to giving up something for the safety of themselves and others?

What's wrong with darkened windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Darkened windows, in some cases, can reduce your visibility. Presumably, that could cause some safety issues due to the fact that you can't see properly.

In my experience only the darkest tints can create an issue, and then only on extremely dark nights and/or in heavy rain. (My experience would be driving several cars with tints of various levels.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 R_punto

Modifying your car is a hobby, and it doesn’t harm anyone. If anything way should take provisional divers of the road. That would do more to keep the roads safe than telling people who care about there cars not to modify them

R_punto wrote:
    Modifying your car is a hobby, and it doesn’t harm anyone. If anything way should take provisional divers of the road. That would do more to keep the roads safe than telling people who care about there cars not to modify them
    ok, it's totally off topic, but what would taking provisionally licensed drivers off the road do? A fully licensed driver went straight into me just over 3 weeks ago, through no fault of my own (as witnesses will back up). Don't tar all provisionally licensed drivers with the same brush, if anything we drive more carefully.
    You can all wish me luck in my driving test Monday week though! (as long as I get my car back from the garage in time...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mariovwgolf

I modify cars - Im Currently modifying a VW Golf - I agree with it once people do it right and the car is done right.
    Most people buy there products here which arent the best quality - i myself ship mine from Japan (if u want some details of where just ask) and the prices are very good.
    As for bright colours i dont mind them again if they look right - mine is a dark kinda of gold (technically called english mustard!!!!)
    I dont see the point in putting anything on the engine unless its over 1.8L i hate hearing a car roaring up the road and it turns out to be a Yaris - Whats the point - The whole idea is to make the car look good not sound good and totally disappoint people when they see it.
    I think alot of people think wrong when there modifying - they think of stuff that will look cool or that people might like which is all wrong - everything that is on my car or that will be put on is there because i like it full stop.
    I dont really care whether people like it or not i do i drive the car.

If your doing a car up think carefully about it and dont rush. Picture everything and if good at art draw it on paper it always helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

ok, it's totally off topic, but what would taking provisionally licensed drivers off the road do? A fully licensed driver went straight into me just over 3 weeks ago, through no fault of my own (as witnesses will back up). Don't tar all provisionally licensed drivers with the same brush, if anything we drive more carefully.
    You can all wish me luck in my driving test Monday week though! (as long as I get my car back from the garage in time...)

The thread kinda died, but there was another post that brought it back, so I too will comment.

First I hope you got your license by now, since its been 7 months since you said you were taking your test :)

And the real point of this, is that from what I observed, granted I have only been in Ireland for a month, is that most provisional drivers appear to be safer drivers. Taxi drivers seem to be the worst, generally rushing to get somewhere, following too close, etc. My observational experience is largely in the city centre, and not at all conclusive of either the city, county or nation.

Finally, as for exhaust and all, some modify for sound reasons, while others modify for performance reasons. I had a jeep wrangler before moving here, and I modified the air intake, exhaust, etc. The only external modification I did was put on larger tires and a lift (so it could traverse some of the trails I drove on). The air flow provided noticably more power and better fuel economy, although it did make it quite a bit louder, that wasnt the intent.

I imagine that at least some of the people that modify their exhaust are seeking more power and better fuel economy, although in general with smaller cars, and more so younger drivers, its all about anouncing your presence to get attention from those around you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Illkillya wrote:
    In some cases it will protect your laptop from being stolen. I think its a good idea.
    ha. if you have your laptop on show in a car you deserve to get it stolen

Advertisement