Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TimberFrame - contracting the rest of the work

Options
  • 09-01-2006 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get some views on anyone who built a timberframe house and went with a contractor to do the rest of the work - foundation, blocks, slates, plumbing etc..

From reading previous posts, seems alot of people have done this work themselves without contracting it out.. ( 'Yop' - the main boardster i was thinking about)

But 'KAGY' went with a contractor and seemed to be stung with the price, and the builder didnt seem to have any experience with TF builds:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93742&highlight=construction+timber

(hope you guys dont mind me mentioning you! :) ) anyway i suppose my main questions would be are typical construction companies in general comfortable working with TF houses and do they tend to rip people off because they are not getting the entire job?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good question SkyWalker, I will send u the bill for copyright ;)

As I have no experience in this situation all I might say to you would be to send off your plans to a number of builders and see what you get back, then maybe we can give u idea of costing which we paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Hi Yop,

havent got as far as buying plans yet... waiting on planning office appointment before i do that to see what they say.... :)

im just thinking ahead i suppose... :)

so any takers at all?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

Hi Skywalker,

We are just about to start our timber frame build its being delivered on the 30of Jan, we had shopped around and spoke to a few builders who were really expensive, we were giving up hope when the tf co. (cygnum) gave us a mobile number of a builder in the galway area who had done some work for them in the past.

the foundations were done before christmas for a reasonable enough price he was really quick and left no mess so we asked him to quote for the rest of the build. He has quoted 115,000 + VAT for the following, external and internal walls, supply and fitting of plasterboard and insulation, (didn't opt for it from the TF Co.), all internal plastering, all internal and external doors, all windows, all roofing, plumbing and percolation, electrics, will install bathroom suites but won't supply, supply and fitting of boiler, can't remember the rest. He is willing to take out or add anything we want, he said he would have just done the block if thats what we wanted but this way the chasing people and organising dates can be left up to him, its a bit difficult for me and the bf as we are both at work all day and not supposed to make personal calls.

i think we were lucky with the builder we have gotten but i'm sure someone else would say we are being ripped off

best of luck :)

thanks for the reply elliebn...

if you take the average cost of the TF as 50 - 70:.. you are looking at 155K - 175K for that build.. sounds a little expensive... what floor size is your house? :)

• Advertisement

Our tf is 40,292.00, the house isn't that big 1750sq feet,
    we are negotiating the amount we will pay cash to the builder (i.e. with no vat) so we were aiming for about 165,000 (with VAT). it works out at about 95 euro a sq foot. one builder quoted us 305,000 on top of the timber frame (that did include kitchen, bathrooms and had quoted for a zinc roof) but obviously way out of our price range.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

elliben - that price am I correct based on your post does not include the plasterboard, doors etc? What does it include?

do you mean the tf price... if so supply, manufacture and erection of timber frame (400mm centres), they supply the crane, roof will be sheeted (low pitch) with osb.

Yip, does it include doors, stairs, insulation, plasterboard ?

we opted to go without doors, insulation and plasterboard (a builder we had spoken to ages ago had suggested we could get them cheaper ourselves and as they don't fit them we didn't get them, not with that builder now but i was so eager to get the ball rolling i didn't amend it) it only added up to about 2,500 of a discount when we took them out. the price of 40,292 is including the VAT (35,500 + 13.5%).

have we been ripped off then:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Hi elliebn, we are building a 2000sq ft tf house at the moment and we have so far spent or got the following quotes (approx).
    raft €13,500
    tf €37,000
    crane €1,500
    scaffold €2,500
    windows €14,000
    external doors with side lights €2,300
    block outer wall €5000
    roof material (including 9 large velux €8450)
    insulation €5000
    plastering and skimmed walls (€10,000)
    roofer €4000
    sanitary €6000
    plumbing €520 per day +vat (3 plumbers)
    wiring €2500 (friend)

we are doing as much of the work we can eg sole plate, felt and battens, insulation, noggings, slabbing, painting, attic floor, second fixings etc

That might give you an idea of the type of cost if you go direct labour. We have been lucky though because I was at home so I could do all the phoning and getting quotes etc.

Aye, based on those I think that you seem to have paid way over the top.
    We have a 2100 sq foot house, the kit was 34k euro inc VAT & erecting of kit. That price includes the door (solid pine), stairs (solid pine), skirting, architraves, rockwool insulation, all plasterboard.
    In hindsight I think that the doors work out cheaper, the come pre-hung on the door frame with saddle board and door furniture.
    Also the architrave is precut to the door sizes.

As with Eve1 our raft was 13k, crane was 1500, windows 8k, plastering 6500, electrician 5k, plumber 5k.

Are you gone so far as to have it all signed?

we ordered it in september they are delivering in about a week and a half. our house is an odd shape and design and the roof is a really low pitch so i think that everything is costing more because of it. i have attached an idea of how it should look.

the foundations cost 15,500 + VAT. when pricing for timber frames i sent out our designs to about 15-20 companies, the prices ranged from about 34,000 to 70,000 and some of the more expensive ones didn't supply a crane.

i have done some costings for the roof and windows and bits and pieces and an average price for our windows black upvc is 20,000 + VAT and the roof (trocol) is about 18,000 + VAT. i'm happy enough for someone else to take it over and just get it finished for me. i don't have the quotation here in front of me but i know there is much more on it than i have remembered (scaffolding, block, oil boiler and radiators, fitting of all sanitary ware, electrics, connecting up the septic tank, paths, roof, windows, balcony, all internal and external doors, plasterboard, insulation, plastering and thats all i can remember). if i had the chance i would be smart like Eve and phone around to do more costings but work are mean.

apologies to skywalker for highjacking the thread!

ELLIEBN- Sorry if I came across if you were incorrect with what you got, only realised it when I read my posts!!

Sorry skywalker alright for hijacking your thread!!!

I can see now why your kit is dearer, you are dealing with almost 2 house frames, one roof really but the walk way would also add to it. From talking to a few people I have come to the conclusion, now I could be incorrect, but I think the more "non-standard" the house is the more expensive it costs.

Shopping around, IF you have the time is the only job alright!

Gluck with it, excitement will be building now from next week. Get the camera ready!! ;0

am trying not to get too excited yet, i won't believe anything until i actually see it happening and no doubt along the way there will be promises made and broken. digital camera at the ready

in a previous post victor said that "there is an element of wastage, extra labours, etc on odd shapes and also there will be an element of fussing involved getting it right". i'm pretty sure that some builders do penalise with extra costs, when getting foundation costs a few made out like it was a harder job to do because of the shape.

thanks for the help,

best of luck to skywalker

I remember looking at that pic in one of your previous posts.. cool house! :) well done for getting permission ! :D

I agree with Yop when he says the more non standard the house the more expensive the frame seems to be... well thats wat i have noticed from the many plans books i have...

Advertisement