Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless BB in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway?

• 09-01-2006 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Does anyone know if there is a wireless BB provider in the Ballinasloe, Co. Galway area.

That's it really.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

thanatos wrote:
    Does anyone know if there is a wireless BB provider in the Ballinasloe, Co. Galway area.

That's it really.

Thanks in advance.
    There are none. DSL only I'm afraid.
    Where abouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 thanatos

3 miles outside ballinasloe on the killconnell road...

No DSL I am afraid - even if there was I don't think the line would be up to it, I can only get 28kbps using dial up.

I'd say your line is on a splitter when your only getting 28k on dial up.
    I set up Eircom BB for a guy that lives around Nutfield Cross and thats around 3 mile out the Killconnell road so you may be within range.
    Did you ring Eircom or just do the online test?

I have heard about a splitter before, but what exactly is it?

It fails the online DSL test.

Afraid to ring eircom, they have to be the most useless people in existence.
    I rang them last week about their "fixed wireless access (FWA)" product and they did not know what I was talking about, after quoting from their webpage, I was asked where I got the number I had rang and I said that it was at the bottom of that particular page. Eventually I was told that an engineer would ring me back - I am still waiting.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Do you have 'line of sight' to the town - and someone with DSL in the town that might be prepared to share it with you? In this case, you could set up a wireless link. A good bit more trouble but if you wanted it bad enough its an option.

It could be worth posting on the *irishwan forum and see if someone can help you there.
    *The main aim of irishwan isnt to provide broadband. However, someone on the network might be prepared to share if you managed to hook up to the WAN

I rang them last week about their "fixed wireless access (FWA)" product and they did not know what I was talking about, after quoting from their webpage, I was asked where I got the number I had rang and I said that it was at the bottom of that particular page. Eventually I was told that an engineer would ring me back - I am still waiting.......
    As far as i'm aware, the closest Eircom FWA option runs off the Eircom Mast in Tuam - but thats too far away to be an option for you obviously. Even if you were close to it, Eircom would claim to know little about it. I know of someone using it and its crap so your not missing much.

• Advertisement

Up to 4 houses in an area can be connected to splitter (pair gain). It means that Eircom can service the 4 houses connected to the splitter with only 1 line from the exchange.
    Eircom dont have a mast in town (that I know off) so FWA was never available here.
    Are you far from Nutfield Cross? There may be a way to get the splitter removed from the line but it's costly and still does not guarantee BB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thanatos wrote:
    3 miles outside ballinasloe on the killconnell road...

eircom of all people. they have a 3.5ghz mast in ballinsaloe or on the hill in cappataggle , mail fwapacketandsatellite@eircom.ie or poundp@eircom.ie for details or 1800 503 303

also maybe Lastmile .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    eircom of all people. they have a 3.5ghz mast in ballinsaloe or on the hill in cappataggle , mail fwpma@eircom.ie or poundp@eircom.ie for details ,

also maybe Lastmile .
    I stand corrected on my last post then. If its anything like the experience I had, they will not cooperate initially - and probably claim to know little about it. Keep at them. In the end, I used that email address for Phil Nolan that was knocking about boards and that got results.:)
    If you do get connected, let us know what sort of service your getting off of it - cos I have yet to see positive feedback on it.

Not sure where Nutfield cross is???

Even with the splitter I would still have to have my own dedicated copper pair of wires to the exchange - no? If so, how does it affect quality? My assumption is that the splitter is splitting up the 8 core cable into 4 2 core cables, one for each of 4 houses?

The fact that there is never any guarantee, I think, is one of the biggest problems with broadband in this country. If I ring up eircom and ask - Will I be able to get dsl IF I get in a phone line?, their response is - There is no guarantee. If you don't actually want a phone line for the phone, you are kinda stuck.
    I would not be inclined to fork out for the removal of the splitter without the guarantee that the pain of dealing with eircom and the cost would pay off.

1800 503 303
    That's the flippin' number that I rang......aaaarrrrgggghhhh

I will send an email.......god help me.....

• Advertisement

If I ring up eircom and ask - Will I be able to get dsl IF I get in a phone line?, their response is - There is no guarantee.
    You can always try the line checker on one of the broadband providers websites ...eircom/BT/utv, etc. Stick in the number of a neighbour and see what comes up. If this number passes, theres still no guarantee that yours will - but it gives you a good indication.

thanatos wrote:
    Not sure where Nutfield cross is???
    It's the crossroads that the council have the roadworks on at the moment. They're widening the junction.
    Even with the splitter I would still have to have my own dedicated copper pair of wires to the exchange - no?
    I'm not 100% sure how the splitter works, or whats inside it, but there is only a single copper pair going back to the exchange from it. If there was 8 cores available on the pole going back to the exchange there wouldn't be any need for a splitter, just a junction box.
    I would not be inclined to fork out for the removal of the splitter without the guarantee that the pain of dealing with eircom and the cost would pay off
    Your right. I probably wouldn't either unless I was badly stuck for it. Plus you'd want to be fairly sure you were within the distance limit for it.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    eircom of all people. they have a 3.5ghz mast in ballinsaloe or on the hill in cappataggle
    Good man Sponge Bob. I forgot they had the mast in Cappataggle. They don't have a mast on the exchange unless they use the ESB mast which is basically next door.

Advertisement