Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Upgrade D Day!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

So we'll be shut down all saturday.... *grumbles*
    .. saturday is a busy day on my connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Peace wrote:
    So we'll be shut down all saturday.... *grumbles*
    .. saturday is a busy day on my connection.
    Saturday is a busy day for me too. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i think that report from eircom is the time it takes from the first exchange to be upgraded till the last one, i dont think downtime would be more than a few minutes in total.. infact last years upgrade I had no downtime at all, I went from 512k to 2mb while I was surfing boards:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Peace wrote:
    So we'll be shut down all saturday

A possible disruption during the timeframe doesn't necessiarly mean a guaranteed disruption for the whole day. I don't recall suffering at all during the last upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The announcement has changed from this:
    Possible disruption to your broadband service
    We will be upgrading our broadband service on Friday 20th January 2006 between 22:00 until Saturday21st January 2006 at 20:00. This work is to facilitate giving our DSL customers higher downstream and upstream bandwidths on their accounts. If you are an eircom broadband customer in one of the areas listed below, you may experience a disruption to your broadband service.

DSL traffic will be affected for approximately 20 hours
    All DSL Enabled Sites Will Be Affected
    To this:
    We will be upgrading our broadband service between 22:00 on Friday 20th January 2006 and 18:00 on Saturday 21st January 2006.

As a broadband customer, you may experience a disruption to your broadband service during this timeframe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

what kind of speeds will Eircon customers be getting ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just slight increases

1m/128k goes to 2m/256k
    2m/128k goes to 3m/384k
    3m/256k goes to 4m/384k
    4m/256k goes to 5m/512k

bear in mind that when we get the 3meg it still wont be as fast as NTL's current 3meg due to overheads and NTL are going up to somewhere between 8mb and 10mb over the next 2 months apparently.

I think a lot of people will be far more delighted at the tripling of the upload speed on the current 2Mb/128Kb service. I'm looking forward to being able to upload more as i have to throttle torrent uploads at 6K right now in order to keep the connection 'snappy' for general browsing for myself and the family pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Any more on the rumours about interleaving being turned off?
    Lower pings and an increase in upload would be pretty awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

baz8080 wrote:
    I think a lot of people will be far more delighted at the tripling of the upload speed on the current 2Mb/128Kb service. I'm looking forward to being able to upload more as i have to throttle torrent uploads at 6K right now in order to keep the connection 'snappy' for general browsing for myself and the family pc.
    yes as a gamer the tripling of upload is great news, in fact i would be happy with just that in this upgrade 2048/384

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

baz8080 wrote:
    Yes, definitely. I'd prefer an upgrade from the 128k to 512k upload than the 2mbit to 3mbit download!

Still, every little helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Gonzo wrote:
    i think that report from eircom is the time it takes from the first exchange to be upgraded till the last one, i dont think downtime would be more than a few minutes in total.. infact last years upgrade I had no downtime at all, I went from 512k to 2mb while I was surfing boards:)
    I lost 1 minute or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

What's the quickest speed these Eircom lines could go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Probable 6m/768k or roughly 3/4's of what they should be capable of in a modern countrys comms infrastructure.

The above 6m/768k would be 85% or so effecient and actual download/uploadwould thus be a little lower.

so the current upgrades are appraoching the limit for eircoms network, perhaps for our next upgrade in 2007 eircom should really be rolling out adsl2+ or whatever its called, any word on eircom planning to upgrade the exchanges to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dun na nGal

:confused: help pleeeeese ... tech jargon way over my head!!...want to get wireless bb for ordinary home use ... any tips ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Hi,
    I am living in a broadband enabled exchange but I am too far from the exhange to get it.( Apparently the line is underground and comes up a steep hill) I have heard that eircom are also bringing out new modems soon which "pull" the broadband from the line enabling me to get it. This to me does not sound very healthy (ie) will it just be "pulling" the very minimum of speeds? Im just wondering does anyone else know anything about this and if its happening, when?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I achieve anything from 40 to 60 to UK game servers on 2048/128
    What sort of ping should i hope to get on 3m/384k ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Dcully wrote:
    I achieve anything from 40 to 60 to UK game servers on 2048/128
    What sort of ping should i hope to get on 3m/384k ?

Exactly the same, unless they are changing other aspects of the setup as well as up/down speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you should see a drop, but not a massive one, your updates to the server will be quicker.

if what is said on the tread below happens then we are in for a noticeable ping drop, pings of 20-25 to jolt etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054853117&page=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Like many of the other users, I more happy about upload increase than download, and I hope pings drop too :)

The last upgrade that happened - I did not even notice a downtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

wonder will Esat follow with an upgrade :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

All bitstream broadband will follow as they are from Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

hellboy99 wrote:
    wonder will Esat follow with an upgrade :confused:

Did you read this topic? No, really, did you?
    stewie.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Eircom have not give the 21 day notice to their retail customers yet , I feel noting will happend till Feb now .....maybe even March.

They may increase some ports for existing customer but will not introduce the 'new' 1mbit package this month . The others will not inroduce anything until Eircom does.

Were they varying the packages this moth it should be announced Here today , but has not been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Eircom have not give the 21 day notice to their retail customers yet , I feel noting will happend till Feb now .....maybe even March.

They may increase some ports for existing customer but will not introduce the 'new' 1mbit package this month . The others will not inroduce anything until Eircom does.

Were they varying the packages this moth it should be announced Here today , but has not been.

Netsource and EsatBT and the others knew before christmas that the upgrades were coming. Plenty of notice I think. The upgrades will definitely take place within 2 weeks. There may be some problems though just like there was last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Is this a nationwide upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

Gonzo wrote:
    just slight increases

1m/128k goes to 2m/256k
    2m/128k goes to 3m/384k
    3m/256k goes to 4m/384k
    4m/256k goes to 5m/512k

bear in mind that when we get the 3meg it still wont be as fast as NTL's current 3meg due to overheads and NTL are going up to somewhere between 8mb and 10mb over the next 2 months apparently.

Guess its better than nothing ......... and plans by them for faster than 4m or DSL2 ?

Advertisement